• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

sin

sin

not here to stay
May 20, 2020
this will be my first and last post. after reading some advice on this site i went and bought the following:

.357 smith and wesson 686 magnum with a 4" barrel
speer® gold dot le duty 357 magnum 158 gr. gdhp (53960)

i want to make sure this is the correct brand/type of ammunition/gun, is this good enough? you told me to buy hollow points and this is what he handed me. also, i am currently studying on where to aim to hit the brainstem directly through the mouth. if anyone has advice such as whether i should stand or sit, etc), let me know. i plan to use a mirror to get the proper angle. thanks and see you on the other side.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: ssaaahmo
A

Aap

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
I'd go with 125 gr sjhp, as they expand more violently and readily than 158gr specially federal or Remington 125gr sjhp (semi jacketed hp). That said, Speer is a good brand.

You might want to check out a good sagittal (also called median) cross section of the head and note the relationship of hard and soft palate to brainstem for your own personal information.

Last edited:
sin

sin

not here to stay
May 20, 2020
I'd go with 125 gr sjhp, as they expand more violently and readily than 158gr specially federal or Remington 125gr sjhp (semi jacketed hp). That said, Speer is a good brand.

appreciate your response. i will purchase the correct ammunition that you explained.

niloc

niloc

Relax — This won't hurt
May 6, 2020
this will be my first and last post. after reading some advice on this site i went and bought the following:

.357 smith and wesson 686 magnum with a 4" barrel
speer® gold dot le duty 357 magnum 158 gr. gdhp (53960)

i want to make sure this is the correct brand/type of ammunition/gun, is this good enough? you told me to buy hollow points and this is what he handed me. also, i am currently studying on where to aim to hit the brainstem directly through the mouth. if anyone has advice such as whether i should stand or sit, etc), let me know. i plan to use a mirror to get the proper angle. thanks and see you on the other side.
Yes, those will do fine. Gold dots are generally more for self defense, so they'll do the job just fine.

Use the firearm as single action and it will be an easy trigger pull. I also have a 686. Nice firing weapon.

My spot I've been working on has been right behind the ear firing across. From what I've seen, that's a sweet spot. If you fire through your mouth, you'll get a lot of blowback from the end of the barrel as well as some from the front of the cylinder. 357 doesn't mess around..

sin

sin

not here to stay
May 20, 2020
Yes, those will do fine. Gold dots are generally more for self defense, so they'll do the job just fine.

okay. the dealer told me they were their "premium" hollow points which were pre-tested and used by the local law enforcement so i assumed they would get the job done. so should i keep these or purchase what the other user suggested? i just want the highest damage potential and success rate. i have never heard of "gold-dot" prior to this purchase.

edit: i was also told that recoil isn't an issue since i would be gone well before the kick. everything has their own opinions i suppose, because each guide tells me to do it differently. i think that the mouth is the most comfortable to me, i am practicing as i write this.

Last edited:
A

Aap

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
You are going to get contradictory responses. Ever seen hunt for red October? 3-1-5

158 gr don't open hugely and are designed for 12-18 inches of penetration. You'd be better off with a massively and violently expanding 125gr shjp

That said, you have a lot on your mind. Placement is key. Reread my first post.

niloc

niloc

Relax — This won't hurt
May 6, 2020
okay. the dealer told me they were their "premium" hollow points which were pre-tested and used by the local law enforcement so i assumed they would get the job done. so should i keep these or purchase what the other user suggested? i just want the highest damage potential and success rate. i have never heard of "gold-dot" prior to this purchase.

edit: i was also told that recoil isn't an issue since i would be gone well before the kick. everything has their own opinions i suppose, because each guide tells me to do it differently. i think that the mouth is the most comfortable to me, i am practicing as i write this.
Gold dots are just the marketing name of the bullets used. 158gr is a standard bullet weight for 357. They will be plenty powerful. Yes, you can get beefier with something like this - https://www.underwoodammo.com/colle...-jacketed-hollow-point?variant=18785727217721
But the reality is you currently have in your hands something that will do the job just fine

Through the mouth would be fine. 357 probably will put you out fast enough to not have any concerns through the mouth. I'm just used to firing and I suppose I don't also want to blow out my teeth when my time comes. Side of the head is where I'm at with it.

When it comes to firearms, all the opinions are going to come out and I'm not trying to cause any arguments. My stance is you're already set with what you have to be able to do what you're wanting to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Good4Nothing
sin

sin

not here to stay
May 20, 2020
You are going to get contradictory responses. Ever seen hunt for red October? 3-1-5

158 gr don't open hugely and are designed for 12-18 inches of penetration. You'd be better off with a massively and violently expanding 125gr shjp

That said, you have a lot on your mind. Placement is key. Reread my first post.

i have not seen red october, however you have convinced me to purchase the ones that you suggested. you seem like you know what you're talking about, and i will look for the semi-jacketed version in a 125gr form instead. thank you for the help.

Last edited:
Good4Nothing

Good4Nothing

Unlovable
May 8, 2020
.357 is a very high velocity pistol round. It doesn't matter what kind of bullet you have.
The kinetic energy alone will kill you if you put it in your head.

sin

sin

not here to stay
May 20, 2020
.357 is a very high velocity pistol round. It doesn't matter what kind of bullet you have.
The kinetic energy alone will kill you if you put it in your head.

that is wonderful news, and the exact reason i bought it. wish you all the best!

Reactions: Winston
L

lifeisbutadream

Wizard
Oct 4, 2018
A .357 revolver with 4 inch barrel is the gun that Budd Dwyer used to kill himself in his 1987 televised suicide. I'd always recommend a shotgun, but obviously this very powerful pistol is adequate. The video is available online. You can see how he braced the gun's barrel with one hand. Recoil won't be a problem as it occurs simultaneous with the discharge.

bte

bte

Sep 9, 2023
So the 125 grains is good enough in a hollow-point .357 round? Is it "better" to pick something with more grains? I just want to do the most I can. I have a good S&W .357 and know where to aim. I have a box of 125-grain rounds.

karmaisabitch

karmaisabitch

Mage
Mar 25, 2024
I went to get one today but I didn't know what to get. I have 0 knowledge about guns like I'm reading your post and asking myself " what's those numbers" I prob will go with something else so this will be my last option