A

Ash*$18

Dec 29, 2023
Is it selfish to commit suicide? Or have such thoughts?

• Hmph!
Reactions: TimetoGo!
Mitsumi

Mitsumi

Student
Dec 23, 2023
I disagree. Never asked to be born in the first place.

Reactions: worthIess, 4am, Loner and 4 others
Upvote 4
dinosavr

dinosavr

and if i’m turning blue please don’t save me 🌛
Dec 14, 2023
Technically it is selfish but it's a whole different story than usual selfish behavior. After all, it's self destructive and objectively destruction is a bad thing

Reactions: Ash*$18
Upvote 2
T

the old man

Student
Dec 23, 2023
It is no more selfish to contemplate choosing your own fate than the selfishness of others to stop you making your own decisions, they do not feel the pain, distress or despair you do, it's your life your decisions on what path you want to follow

Reactions: Ash*$18
Upvote 2
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
To me what is selfish is how humans continue to impose existence and expect that individual who was burdened with the ability to exist to delay their inevitable fate until they cease existing anyway. We all have our right to die as it's our existence after all, not other people's, nobody is obligated to continue existing here for even a second longer than they wish to.

Reactions: Loner
Upvote 3
Slow_Farewell

Slow_Farewell

Warlock
Dec 19, 2023
Logically? No. As a human being, humans tend to consume more than they produce, for example, electricity, oxygen, financial and social resources. It's difficult to justify from a quantifiable standpoint how it can be selfish when one would stop one's self from consuming resources.

For me, it begs the question: "Why would I decide to continue to live based on someone else's say? They are not me, they do not see the world through my eyes and have experienced it through my life. What's their basis then, of telling me my life is still worth living?"

Reactions: Tears in Rain and Deleted member 65988
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 65988

Logically? No. As a human being, humans tend to consume more than they produce, for example, electricity, oxygen, financial and social resources. It's difficult to justify from a quantifiable standpoint how it can be selfish when one would stop one's self from consuming resources.

For me, it begs the question: "Why would I decide to continue to live based on someone else's say? They are not me, they do not see the world through my eyes and have experienced it through my life. What's their basis then, of telling me my life is still worth living?"
Great point here.

Upvote 0
Tokugawa_Yoshinobu

Tokugawa_Yoshinobu

Arcanist
Sep 10, 2023
Selfish in the same way other decision you make concerning yourself is selfish. But that is a very personal thing and people shouldn't be so judgemental.

Upvote 0
hibikikyuxx

hibikikyuxx

Student
Oct 17, 2023
No. Nobody asked to be born. There is nothing selfish about suicide. I would only consider it as selfish if the one who does it brought children into the world but then abandons them per suicide. That's straight fucked up. But otherwise? Nope. Not selfish at all. You didn't ask to be brought into this world, your parents did. So since it's your life, you have every right to choose what you want to do to with it. In the end, everyone dies no matter what. It really doesn't make a difference if someone dies now or 50 years later. If anything, it would be better to check out now because life on earth is only going to get worse.

Reactions: Mitsumi
Upvote 0
Abyssal

Abyssal

Kill me
Nov 26, 2023
I think, and hear me out on this, it is selfish. But who's to say selfish is a bad thing to begin with? In fact, can't it be argue that everything humans do is selfish?

When you feed ourselves, we are thinking of ourselves.

When we make friends, we do it to entertain ourselves or maintain our social needs.

When we fall in love, it's a biological impulse related to reproduction/preservation, rooted in ourselves.

When pro lifers fight to keep people..well..alive they do so for themselves.

Unless you can think of a specific example of how something can be selfless, I'd go to say selfishness is rooted in existence itself. Suicide isn't an outlier to this.

Reactions: Mitsumi and dggtscccvfd
Upvote 1