• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

H

Hollowman

Empty
Dec 14, 2021
Againstthewind

Againstthewind

Global Respondent Adjudicator
Jul 10, 2022
A great read, a real intelligent look at this system which feels it cannot be attacked because the hierarchy system from doctors to patients they created to create fear and power, and a false sense of entitlement to the truth.

"Drug pushers. We tend to associate them with the bleak underworld of criminality. But some would argue that there's another class of drug pusher, just as unscrupulous, who work in the highly respectable fields of psychiatry and the pharmaceutical industry. And they deserve the same moral scrutiny that we apply to the drug peddler on the street corner." - BANG

"Failed doctors become psychiatrists, and failed psychiatrists specialize in drugs" - LOL

• Love
Reactions: Valky and NumbItAll
NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
As three authors, including a professor of psychology pointed out, when this label of "anti-psychiatry" is thrown at you, "remember that this is the way defensive and rigidly biological psychiatrists often respond to people and ideas that frighten them: apply a negative label and pretend the label is an explanation."[4]
lol
DSM was described by one expert as "not scientific but a product of unscrupulous politics and bureaucracy," further stating: "In place of scientific findings, the DSM uses expert consensus to determine what mental disorders exist and how you can recognize them. Disorders come into the book the same way a law becomes part of the book of statutes. People suggest it, discuss it, and vote on it."[7] That's not science.
Yes.

Reactions: Hollowman
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I had positive and negative experiences with the psychiatry. Overall they helped. I think calling psychiatry a scam is exaggerated. Though there are many nuances to consider. And I don't have the emotional resources today to elaborate on them. However I think concerning assisting suicide there is a very long way to for psychiatry. Noone took me ever serious in my country when I wanted to talk about that option. Despite the fact I am now suicidal for over a decade. I could go on with that. But the whole topic is not really a good one for recovery.

Why have you posted this thread in recovery? I think the medication/ therapy can really work for people. And the medication also improved my life quality. I think ruling out the option to seek help from a psychiatrist would be a mistake for people who have not tried that.

silence of death

silence of death

May 20, 2023
I think psychiatry is a complex science since a lot of expert just disagree on a lot of things, because the mind is so missunderstood, but calling it a scam is wrong, the psychiatrists i met really tried to help me, they were good people, and i got better thanks to the medication

but of course there is bad apple everywhere, i probably got lucky aswell