• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

penguinl0v3s

penguinl0v3s

Wait for Me 💙
Nov 1, 2023
It looks like the general consensus among random internet psychiatrists is that MAOIs are more effective than SSRIs, with the catch being that they come with a risk of cardiovascular side effects and require patients to be more informed about their meds because of more drug interactions.

So if you haven't tried MAOIs after SSRIs/SNRIs/TCAs, it's not a bad idea.

EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
Ah yes, the random internet psychiatrists if reddit. One of the most trustworthy groups of people out there, if I do say so myself.

I have more faith in your average psychiatrist in comparison to a reddit psychiatrist, which is saying a lot.

sorry, I just like dunking on psychiatrists, lol...

Reactions: ColorlessTrees
Felodese

Felodese

Student
Mar 31, 2024
I've been told the same thing. But they also have a lot of not so great side effects. And apparently you may have to change your diet, cause they can interact with certain foods, and cause heart problems.

nozomu

nozomu

Global Mod // will i wiN my recovery arc
Nov 28, 2022
MAOIs permanently alter your brain from what I understand. I wouldn't touch them. If you get side effects you are stuck with them

penguinl0v3s

penguinl0v3s

Wait for Me 💙
Nov 1, 2023
Ah yes, the random internet psychiatrists if reddit. One of the most trustworthy groups of people out there, if I do say so myself.

I have more faith in your average psychiatrist in comparison to a reddit psychiatrist, which is saying a lot.
I'm more inclined to trust a collective opinion, and I'm not about to buy a subscription for UpToDate...!
MAOIs permanently alter your brain from what I understand. I wouldn't touch them. If you get side effects you are stuck with them
Why would they?

Ashu

Ashu

novelist, sanskritist, Canadian living in India
Nov 13, 2021
I'm more inclined to trust a collective opinion, and I'm not about to buy a subscription for UpToDate...!

Why would they?
Why wouldn't brain damage be permanent?

penguinl0v3s

penguinl0v3s

Wait for Me 💙
Nov 1, 2023
Why wouldn't brain damage be permanent?
Brain damage? I'm not following where this idea comes from. It will inhibit monoamine oxidase enzymes, which would increase dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine in your body. While the binding to the enzymes is irreversible, the body constantly replenishes and creates enzymes. So if you were to stop taking it, eventually your body would go back to normal.

• Love
Reactions: LittleJem
L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
From. what I have read, it is highly likely MAOIs are more effective. But it is really difficult to know who prescribes them and there are sometimes shortages.

If anyone knows a UK prescriber please let me know!

Reactions: sserafim
penguinl0v3s

penguinl0v3s

Wait for Me 💙
Nov 1, 2023
From. what I have read, it is highly likely MAOIs are more effective. But it is really difficult to know who prescribes them and there are sometimes shortages.

If anyone knows a UK prescriber please let me know!
That would make sense given that it increases dopamine, noradrenaline, and serotonin. While SSRIs only increase serotonin. I didn't know that there are MAOI shortages. Well, in the US if you have chain pharmacies, they have different suppliers. So could you call around various chains? Or ask them to order it for you?

• Informative
Reactions: divinemistress36