• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018
So I have an appointment with a psychiatrist in a few days I have tried to avoid talking to shrinks for a long time because I legally own firearms and it´s my last hobby so I am very afraid to lose it. Actually the reason for the appointment is because it was suggested by an eating disorder clinic because I have a throat problem that makes it hard for me to eat and they think it might be an autistic trait since physically the doctors can´t find anything wrong.

I need some advice what not to say, they are going to ask a lot of questions and I am almost certain I will end up getting diagnosed probably Bipolar or some form of autism/aspergers but I don´t wanna lose my firearms but I really have to try this out because I can´t work because of my throat problem but apparently it´s not enough for me to get disability so I hope by getting diagnosed with a mental illness I can get disability and not be dirt poor.

I know that some of the first thing they will ask me is if I have depression and/or suicidal thoughts where I will say no otherwise bye bye guns I hope this won´t influence the diagnosis. I also really wanna bring up that I have apathy and anhedonia but I am afraid the shrink will say I have major depression or something like that and that is why I experience apathy and anhedonia.

• Hugs
Reactions: Wolfjob_dayjob, andy69 and Fragile
Rachel74

Rachel74

Enlightened
Sep 7, 2019
So if you have bipolar you could lose your gun licence?

Reactions: Wolfjob_dayjob
TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018
So if you have bipolar you could lose your gun licence?
I don´t know where they draw the line I know of course people with schizoprenia and stuff like that aren´t allowed to own guns but again I don´t know where they draw the line if it´s just any "mental illness" that will disqualify me or if it have to be more severe ones.

Rachel74

Rachel74

Enlightened
Sep 7, 2019
I don´t know where they draw the line I know of course people with schizoprenia and stuff like that aren´t allowed to own guns but again I don´t know where they draw the line if it´s just any "mental illness" that will disqualify me or if it have to be more severe ones.
I'm in the U.K. so don't really know.

TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018
I'm in the U.K. so don't really know.
I´m from Denmark so it´s not like the US over there I know they can take your guns away if you get certain diagnosis but because of the second ammendment they can still have autism and bipolar as far as I know but of course it´s because they have a 'right' to bear arms where in Europe we only have the privelege to own guns that can easily be taken away.

Boochky

Boochky

Fat, bipolar, and hairy. (Sorry boys, I’m taken.)
Feb 23, 2019
I'm from the US and I think it's state by state, but in California you're not allowed to buy if you were hospitalized in the last 5 years, but nobody knocks down your door to take what you have. Not that this helps you.

Are they doing tests or just talking to you? If you ever do tests, I would suggest reading up on symptoms so you know what they're looking for.

If you actually want a bipolar diagnosis, the same research would be helpful. Probably better to be type 2 than type 1. Mania and psychosis would be hard to fake anyway. For type 2, it's periods of hypomania cycling with depression. So some times you're social, creative, productive even more than other people. But then you fall into a pit.

Feel free to PM me. I have 20 years of experience with the disease and dealing with doctors. I hope you get to keep your guns. If you were in the US, you'd have guns but no doctor.

Reactions: Wolfjob_dayjob and TheGoodGuy
TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018
I'm from the US and I think it's state by state, but in California you're not allowed to buy if you were hospitalized in the last 5 years, but nobody knocks down your door to take what you have. Not that this helps you.

Are they doing tests or just talking to you? If you ever do tests, I would suggest reading up on symptoms so you know what they're looking for.

If you actually want a bipolar diagnosis, the same research would be helpful. Probably better to be type 2 than type 1. Mania and psychosis would be hard to fake anyway. For type 2, it's periods of hypomania cycling with depression. So some times you're social, creative, productive even more than other people. But then you fall into a pit.

Feel free to PM me. I have 20 years of experience with the disease and dealing with doctors. I hope you get to keep your guns. If you were in the US, you'd have guns but no doctor.
Yeah you are lucky in the US even if people are alcoholics they can still own guns in the US where in Denmark the chairman of the gunclub has the right to revoke my firearm license if I started to show signs of alcoholism or drug addiction so the priveleged to own firearms in DK is very fragile.

What tests are you talking about? As far as I know I am just going to talk with them.

And the thing with even bipolar too is admitting to being depressed because depression = bye bye guns.
I also don´t see myself having depression because I used to have it from 14-20½ and when I had it I was sad all the time and cried a lot now I can´t even feel happiness, sadness or excitement so I just say I have apathy and anhedonia.
My point is I see having depression as truly FEELING sad and with apathy I don´t feel anything.

Boochky

Boochky

Feb 23, 2019
That's crazy about the alcoholism. On the upside, you probably won't get shot at a concert...

When I was diagnosed, they did extensive interviewing, ink blots, even some math if I remember correctly. Or spatial stuff. I think it was over 2 hour long appointments. You'd probably know if they were doing it.

I get apathy and anhedonia when I'm depressed. I also isolate. I don't feel sad, I'm just disengaged.

But if you don't want to be bipolar or depressed, and you can get benefits for the Asperger's, maybe that's the way to go? You probably wouldn't have to deal with psych meds and if you don't need them, you don't want them.

k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
I'm leaving this in case it helps someone else, but I just saw you're in Denmark, so nothing I said applies probably. Sorry!!

Ok, so I'm not an expert or anything and also not a gun person, but I'm pretty sure the restrictions apply when you've been involuntary committed to a psychiatric hospital and are considered a danger to yourself and others. Just being in therapy isn't the same as that. (I'm assuming you're in the US.)

You also don't have to tell your therapist you own guns. They aren't going to investigate you or anything. I have no idea how any of this might impact your ability to buy new ones.

If you want an accurate diagnosis, you can't lie about symptoms. But you should use common sense and not say things like you have a plan to kill yourself. At the very least, you probably will end up with a major depression diagnosis, and that is one thing you need for the disability side of things.
Getting benefits heavily relies on having a mental health diagnosis and being able to prove it impacts your ability to function and work. You need doctors to confirm that. So you're kind of in a tight spot, as far as having the guns and having a strong disability case.

Maybe this might help?

Last edited:
Fragile

Fragile

Broken
Jul 7, 2019
i don't really think that they can formally diagnose you with just one appointment, the psychiatrist might say that you may have something but they need a bit more information from a psychologist who also follows your case and then to see how you react to whatever poison they give you.

and as for what to say, you should probably just stick to autism symptoms and avoid anything related to suicide and depression if you want to just be diagnosed with autism for the disability if it applies in your country. apathy and anhedonia are one of the most common symptoms in major depression, and to some extent, bipolar and bdp so if you are really afraid of being diagnosed with those then you should also avoid this topic.

i don't know how it works in your country, but as a poster above said, i don't think that they will outright take your guns away if you are diagnosed with those conditions, and if you are, then you can just keep them shush. they already gave them to you and both autism and bipolar are something that you are mostly born with so i see no reason why they would take them away since you are mostly the same person.

anyway, good luck!

Reactions: Boochky and TheGoodGuy
TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018
That's crazy about the alcoholism. On the upside, you probably won't get shot at a concert...

When I was diagnosed, they did extensive interviewing, ink blots, even some math if I remember correctly. Or spatial stuff. I think it was over 2 hour long appointments. You'd probably know if they were doing it.

I get apathy and anhedonia when I'm depressed. I also isolate. I don't feel sad, I'm just disengaged.

But if you don't want to be bipolar or depressed, and you can get benefits for the Asperger's, maybe that's the way to go? You probably wouldn't have to deal with psych meds and if you don't need them, you don't want them.
Sounds more like you are describing an IQ test.

Yeah being diagnosed with aspergers might suffice I am not sure though and I can´t exactly choose what they will diagnose me for if any at all since I am not a psychiastrist myself and I really wanna know too what is wrong with me because I know I have been different from a long time but on paper and my appearance I look normal.

And it´s weird every time people talk about psyche meds because my biggest problem is that I can´t swallow pills so it´s not like I don´t wanna try if it helps if I wouldn´t get my guns taken away. Back in my teenage years I always said no when the shrinks thought I should try anti depressants but now I am just so low I am willing to do about anything but I literally can´t swallow them hardly even food that is the whole reason why I am getting the appointment in the first place. I envy people with normal functioning bodies so much how they can easily swallow pills including vitamins or illegal drugs while I can´t even swallow a pill the size of a birth control.

You also don't have to tell your therapist you own guns. They aren't going to investigate you or anything. I have no idea how any of this might impact your ability to buy new ones.
Don´t worry I am not going to tell them there would be no point in that.

If you want an accurate diagnosis, you can't lie about symptoms. But you should use common sense and not say things like you have a plan to kill yourself. At the very least, you probably will end up with a major depression diagnosis, and that is one thing you need for the disability side of things.
Getting benefits heavily relies on having a mental health diagnosis and being able to prove it impacts your ability to function and work. You need doctors to confirm that. So you're kind of in a tight spot, as far as having the guns and having a strong disability case.
And that´s also what is bothering me because I am 25 and have postponed getting a diagnosis for like 9 years and I really just wanna let it all out and just get an accurate diagnosis but it´s going to be hard when I can´t tell them about my suicidal thoughts I have had since age 14 and I am not sure if I should tell them about my apathy and anhedonia but these two I feel are the most important things so I kind of have to.
i don't really think that they can formally diagnose you with just one appointment, the psychiatrist might say that you may have something but they need a bit more information from a psychologist who also follows your case and then to see how you react to whatever poison they give you.

and as for what to say, you should probably just stick to autism symptoms and avoid anything related to suicide and depression if you want to just be diagnosed with autism for the disability if it applies in your country. apathy and anhedonia are one of the most common symptoms in major depression, and to some extent, bipolar and bdp so if you are really afraid of being diagnosed with those then you should also avoid this topic.

i don't know how it works in your country, but as a poster above said, i don't think that they will outright take your guns away if you are diagnosed with those conditions, and if you are, then you can just keep them shush. they already gave them to you and both autism and bipolar are something that you are mostly born with so i see no reason why they would take them away since you are mostly the same person.

anyway, good luck!
I have never said it was just one appointment it´s a psychiatrist so of course it will take many sessions to fully diagnose me the first session will be 2 hours and then I guess 1 hour after that.

Thanks for answering my question because I think that too that if I tell them about my apathy I will most likely be diagnosed with major depressive disorder it feels like if anyone says they just had a sad day they get depression thrown their way..
And I am not sure if I can get disability for autism in Denmark I know you can in the US and many other countries but Denmark is extremely strict with disability money even people who have just finished a round of chemo theorapy are forced to work a weak after (I am not kidding)

And for the guns the problem is there is a lot of security around guns in Denmark so I have to renew my firearms license every 3rd year so I will have to renew it in 2020 I think and of course if I wanna buy a new one they will have to do a background check too so even if it doesn´t immediately show up they will eventually when I have to get the license renewed again but I think they might revoke my license shortly after getting diagnosed because they are so serious about guns.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Boochky and Fragile
k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
And that´s also what is bothering me because I am 25 and have postponed getting a diagnosis for like 9 years and I really just wanna let it all out and just get an accurate diagnosis but it´s going to be hard when I can´t tell them about my suicidal thoughts I have had since age 14 and I am not sure if I should tell them about my apathy and anhedonia but these two I feel are the most important things so I kind of have to.
It's a tough situation for sure. I think ultimately you'll have to decide what's most important to you. Really figure out what to prioritize.

On one hand, if you get an accurate diagnosis, you have the best chance of possibly finding relief for some of what you're experiencing. On the other, you can omit or lie, and get diagnosed with something that might or might not be accurate. You'll be treated, but maybe for the wrong thing. I see that as a waste of time and possibly really frustrating. And that's not even bringing guns or disability into the mix.

I remember talking to you about the anhedonia and apathy in another thread. I suffer from it as well. It is definitely linked to depression. You mentioned thinking of depression as sadness, but it's so much more than that. Some people suffer from major depression and don't technically feel sad. But chances are, if you have anhedonia, you do have depression. I think it's worth telling them about. It's an important symptom.

Also, I'm not telling you to do this, but I have been able to discuss suicidal ideation with all the therapists I've seen. I've never been hospitalized. The important thing is to tell them that while you have the thoughts, you do no have any plans, intentions, or motivation to ever hurt yourself. I've said I don't like feeling that way and it scares me. Once they are reassured you're not at risk, it's ok to talk about general thoughts. Just my experience, of course. But I genuinely wanted help with that, and so I needed to be able to discuss it.

Reactions: Boochky and TheGoodGuy
TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018
It's a tough situation for sure. I think ultimately you'll have to decide what's most important to you. Really figure out what to prioritize.

On one hand, if you get an accurate diagnosis, you have the best chance of possibly finding relief for some of what you're experiencing. On the other, you can omit or lie, and get diagnosed with something that might or might not be accurate. You'll be treated, but maybe for the wrong thing. I see that as a waste of time and possibly really frustrating. And that's not even bringing guns or disability into the mix.

I remember talking to you about the anhedonia and apathy in another thread. I suffer from it as well. It is definitely linked to depression. You mentioned thinking of depression as sadness, but it's so much more than that. Some people suffer from major depression and don't technically feel sad. But chances are, if you have anhedonia, you do have depression. I think it's worth telling them about. It's an important symptom.

Also, I'm not telling you to do this, but I have been able to discuss suicidal ideation with all the therapists I've seen. I've never been hospitalized. The important thing is to tell them that while you have the thoughts, you do no have any plans, intentions, or motivation to ever hurt yourself. I've said I don't like feeling that way and it scares me. Once they are reassured you're not at risk, it's ok to talk about general thoughts. Just my experience, of course. But I genuinely wanted help with that, and so I needed to be able to discuss it.
What you are saying is the same I have thought about for many years whether I should be honest or not and I can´t be completely honest because of the guns. Also my worst problem is physical my throat problem so all the things you are talking about if I get diagnosed and treated the right way etc. means nothing to me because not being able to eat properly is the number 1 reason for why I have to kill myself if it can´t be fixed all the rest is extremely frustrating too and well just writing this I get confused because I have so many problems that it´s hard to put them in order but the throat problem ruined my life I have lost all my friends because of it, I can´t enjoy food or drugs or even date because no girl wanna wait 30 minute for my disabled ass to finish eating when she can just meet another match on her Tinder profile.

And even if I was completely healthy I would most likely want to kill myself anyways because I miss my childhood so much I see no point in living past childhood it´s like going from Telitubies to hell life used to be so beautiful and full of imaginary wonders in a world that just kept giving and giving with friends, hobbies, passions etc and adulthood is just fighting for survival while battling mental and physical problems that I never even knew existed in my childhood.

I also really feel if my guns get taken away I will hang myself that day hopefully because then I have nothing left to live for it´s my last hobby I try to enjoy despite the anhedonia and apathy I still try desperately to enjoy it because I knew how passionate I used to be about guns in my youth.

• Aww..
Reactions: Boochky and k75
k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
Hmm... I was thinking of how they think your throat problem might be a psychological problem. So if that actually was somehow true, it would be important to get accurately diagnosed. You see?

Also, for the sake of getting disability.

I don't know. Like I said, I understand it is a really tough position to be in. I'm sorry.

Reactions: TheGoodGuy
TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018
Hmm... I was thinking of how they think your throat problem might be a psychological problem. So if that actually was somehow true, it would be important to get accurately diagnosed. You see?

Also, for the sake of getting disability.

I don't know. Like I said, I understand it is a really tough position to be in. I'm sorry.
Yeah they do think that but it just feels so physical that I can´t believe it is solely psychological but if they somehow could cure my throat problem it would make a world of a difference there would still be over a dozen things to work on but damn it would help it´s like impossible to work on social anxiety, apathy, anhedonia etc. when I can feel something is wrong every time I swallow my own saliva.

Boochky

Boochky

Feb 23, 2019
Yeah they do think that but it just feels so physical that I can´t believe it is solely psychological but if they somehow could cure my throat problem it would make a world of a difference there would still be over a dozen things to work on but damn it would help it´s like impossible to work on social anxiety, apathy, anhedonia etc. when I can feel something is wrong every time I swallow my own saliva.
Oh sweetie. I feel so bad for you. I understand well the transition from childhood to adulthood. I had a problematic childhood and both my parents were bipolar, but I did play on a farm in the summer and school was pretty fun. Good thing I enjoyed it because my dad was insane about my grades because my future. Then they get divorced and my mom kicks me out and my college money went to lawyers. I end up homeless at 17 and that was a rude awakening for sure. Your post described it so well, I shed a tear. And just ugh your situation sucks.

So, here's a question. How do these doctors think they could even medicate you if you can't take pills? We're talking prioritization, sounds like the doctors need to do that. They're more worried your feelings? Sad people live. People who can't eat, not so much. Unless the throat thing is indeed psychological. Sending you all the love.

• Love
TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018
Again lets imagine I could keep my guns then I would glady try meds just to have tried it but I can´t swallow pills so if I could take it in a liquid or even inject it I would be fine with that but everything seems to be in pill form.

Growing up on a farm is nice I lived in a little town sorrounded by farms and many kids parents in my class were farmers it´s a nice enviroment for children to grow up in I used to play with my friends around the farms and in the big corn fields and stuff I feel bad for children who grow up in the city sorrounded by concrete buildings, roads, industry and all these man made structures everywhere kids need to be able to explore nature.

I had so much fun as a child out in nature and I remember in kindergarten how kids that age me included would be so fascinated by nature; studying plants, flipping over logs to see what insects where hiding there and a few years later in school playing in the windbreaks at school building caves/forts, climbing trees, playing cutting down nettles and other plants with sticks while playing Star Wars or some other game while pretending the plants were droids sigh.. I really miss being a child everything was so much fun..

Sorry you mentioned the farm and it just took me down memory lane.

• Love
Reactions: Boochky
Boochky

Boochky

Feb 23, 2019
Again lets imagine I could keep my guns then I would glady try meds just to have tried it but I can´t swallow pills so if I could take it in a liquid or even inject it I would be fine with that but everything seems to be in pill form.

Growing up on a farm is nice I lived in a little town sorrounded by farms and many kids parents in my class were farmers it´s a nice enviroment for children to grow up in I used to play with my friends around the farms and in the big corn fields and stuff I feel bad for children who grow up in the city sorrounded by concrete buildings, roads, industry and all these man made structures everywhere kids need to be able to explore nature.

I had so much fun as a child out in nature and I remember in kindergarten how kids that age me included would be so fascinated by nature; studying plants, flipping over logs to see what insects where hiding there and a few years later in school playing in the windbreaks at school building caves/forts, climbing trees, playing cutting down nettles and other plants with sticks while playing Star Wars or some other game while pretending the plants were droids sigh.. I really miss being a child everything was so much fun..

Sorry you mentioned the farm and it just took me down memory lane.

I didn't want to be a rich asshole, but the farm was actually a camp. We were encouraged to do all that exploring you mentioned, and were guided by colorful college kids. Say what you want about hippies, they make great camp counselors. Singing together, eating together, making crafts, milking cows... For the longest time it gave me so much hope because I knew genuine community could exist. Being in corporate made it all seem like a sick joke when you realize people would actually rather just torture each other.

TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018
I didn't want to be a rich asshole, but the farm was actually a camp. We were encouraged to do all that exploring you mentioned, and were guided by colorful college kids. Say what you want about hippies, they make great camp counselors. Singing together, eating together, making crafts, milking cows... For the longest time it gave me so much hope because I knew genuine community could exist. Being in corporate made it all seem like a sick joke when you realize people would actually rather just torture each other.
Sounds nice.
I´d choose living out on the country sorrounded by fields and nature over a concrete jungle any day but I am a big nature lover it´s just so relaxing to go out in nature which is hard for me now since I live in a little city and I have no car, I fucking hate being poor.

• Aww..
Boochky

Boochky

Feb 23, 2019
I can't tolerate cities. Rural areas are okay as long as you look like them but I need better access to doctors so I land in suburbia. Thankfully, I'm in California so there's a lot of access to nature. Even San Francisco has Golden Gate park where there are buffalo in the middle of the city and ocean on the coast.

Last edited:
  • Love
TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018
I can't tolerate cities. Rural areas are okay as long as you look like them but I need better access to doctors so I land in suburbia. Thankfully, I'm in California so there's a lot of access to nature. Even San Francisco has Golden Gate park where there are buffalo in the middle of the city and ocean on the coast.
You are lucky to live in California it´s so incredibly beautiful it sucks there barely is any nature in Denmark it´s mostly just fields and not a lot of forest.

Boochky

Boochky

Feb 23, 2019
You are lucky to live in California it´s so incredibly beautiful it sucks there barely is any nature in Denmark it´s mostly just fields and not a lot of forest.
Aw. I did get lucky there for sure. Unfortunately it's ridiculously expensive and public transportation sucks so the freeways are a parking lot and a lot of aggressive people drive really dangerously. I haven't driven since I had to move back here. But it's the most progressive state and I got county health care so I'm ok for now.

I used to have a field as s backyard. It's better than nothing. Frogs after the rain were the best!

TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018
Aw. I did get lucky there for sure. Unfortunately it's ridiculously expensive and public transportation sucks so the freeways are a parking lot and a lot of aggressive people drive really dangerously. I haven't driven since I had to move back here. But it's the most progressive state and I got county health care so I'm ok for now.
Public transportation here is fine I guess but extremely expensive.
I also hate people when they drive they are so angry and aggressive it brings out the worst in every day people.
Frogs after the rain were the best!
Awe that sounded adorable!

• Love
Boochky

Boochky

Feb 23, 2019
Public transportation here is fine I guess but extremely expensive.
I also hate people when they drive they are so angry and aggressive it brings out the worst in every day people.

Awe that sounded adorable!
Self driving car service cannot come fast enough!

TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018
Self driving car service cannot come fast enough!
Not my cup of tea I don´t want the world to change I hate change, I do however wish other people would be considerate of others just like I am.

• Love
Boochky

Boochky

Feb 23, 2019
Not my cup of tea I don´t want the world to change I hate change, I do however wish other people would be considerate of others just like I am.
I hear ya. I'm just a bad driver and nearly blind.

• Aww..
stellabelle

stellabelle

ethereal
Dec 14, 2018
Don't disclose the fact that you own firearms.
Good luck over there with it.