• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

zombiegirl

zombiegirl

the living dead
Aug 17, 2023
yes oh my god. as someone who's been over a dozen times, BAD 100%. adult wards are 10x worse than childrens wards tho

• Hugs
Reactions: Kit1 and oddetoad
ibuprofen_ninja

ibuprofen_ninja

Oct 26, 2021
how do people get into a psych ward? Is it really as bad as people say it is?
If you actually want to die they are a pain in the bottom, they evaluate you with psychologists regularly and will detain you for as long as possible until they're certain you're not suicidal. If you really really want to die as soon as possible do everything in your power not to end up in one.

• Hugs
Reactions: Kit1
D

delphi4470

-
Dec 20, 2023
I went once so far, the experience was kinda shitty but not traumatizing bad or anything, it varies tho

• Hugs
Reactions: ibuprofen_ninja and Kit1
F

flyhigh

Aug 8, 2023
It differs from facility to facility and from country to country. One of my friends is in one right now after an attemted suicide and he "likes" it or should I say feels safe and isn't at risk of commiting suicide right now which is good enough. It is an open psychiatric facility which means that they have the freedom to leave for a certain amount of time a day and it isn't really to be compared with the stereotypical psych ward. Keep in mind that your experience may differ based on your gender, sexuality, mental health, the doctors and nurses and the people who are there with you and so on.

• Hugs
wistfulness

wistfulness

Nov 15, 2023
I think there are so many variables that go into a psych ward experience being "good" or "bad." I think many times it's a mixture of the two. In my experience, I was involuntarily admitted to a mental hospital at 15. The magic words for being sent there are if you're considered "a danger to yourself or others." I didn't have any real knowledge as to how psych facilities run. I had to adapt quickly, and that is extremely challenging for anyone staying in one of these hospitals. My experience wasn't all bad though, I was in the children's unit (>18) and it was surprisingly easy to make friends since everyone was off the deep end anyway. Nothing left to lose, right? I'm sure that's a lot harder in adult units, but not impossible. Everyone there sort of bonds over the incredulousness of the situation you're in. It's not all bad.

• Hugs
K

Kit1

Enlightened
Oct 24, 2023
I live in the UK. I have never been admitted to a psych ward. However met lots of people who have. Every single one of them had a horror story. Now with the private sector in the UK, often the indivual is paying and it will be better..,Personally I would rather be dead than be in one of these places.

CannabisMuncher

CannabisMuncher

You can call me kilometers, cuz ima kms ( He/Him )
Dec 23, 2023
well, its complicated. While yes, psych wards can help some people, they seem to think it is a "One size fits all" solution, which is untrue. Being put in hospitals may make some people worse. It all depends on very specific situational concerns. It can genuinely help people, but it isnt the solution for everyone. It also depends on WHAT psych ward, as there are some places perfectly up to code, just a little strict, and then there's places where horror stories are born. It's a shame.

Old Friend

Old Friend

Sleep well, Airstrip One.
Sep 24, 2023
Never been and don't fancy it much going from what I've read here. I just have to make sure when the time comes to ctb, I get it right first time.

H

Hotsackage

Elementalist
Mar 11, 2019
Only been once. But with my mental state I. could go anytime I want, just.dont giving up my freedom. That said was good experience, meet people with similar struggles etc

SSamGarrison

SSamGarrison

Chickens.
Sep 9, 2023
Never been. I've heard a lot of bad but some good. Some have had meh experiences but say they're glad they went. I heard it is a good idea to voluntarily commit yourself to a place you've already researched, if you feel like you should/are gonna end up there anyway. This makes it more likely you'll have a helpful experience. But again, I have no personal experience