PJFord

PJFord

Student
Jul 27, 2020
I've been doing lots of research and planning, but there is the one issue I can't resolve: How to be found, balancing enough time to die but not lie dead in my apartment for too long (to start smelling, decaying, etc). I live alone in a private apartment complex where neighbors are friendly but don't get involved with each other. I resigned my job a month ago so work won't call when I don't show up. In our family, it's not uncommon for calls and texts to not be immediately returned so if I'm dead and don't call back they won't immediately start worrying. With Covid, no one is coming over and I'm not going to friends' houses. So I could be dead in my apartment for days or weeks.

So I'm thinking a few options and would appreciate feedback:

Advance Email: This won't work for me because I always mess things up technology-wise and know any advance emails I send will go immediately!
Mailed Note to Neptune Society (my cremation contract). I figure I send this Friday night or Saturday and they should receive by Monday or Tuesday. That will give me the weekend to CTB and ensure I am successful.
Leasing Office: Drop off a note at my apartment leasing office. They are closed on Sunday. So I drop if off Saturday evening after they close and that give me Sunday and into Monday morning. My fear is one of the security guards might check the mailbox when the office is closed.
No Show Visit: I haven't seen my brother and sister in months since lockdown and they want me to visit. I thought I could say I'll be there Saturday, and when I don't show up and don't respond to their calls, they will get concerned. It's not like me at all to say I'll be somewhere and just not show without notice.
Hotel: Stay at a hotel and CTB there so that housekeeping finds me when they come to clean the room. I'd much prefer to be at home though.

R

rt1989526

Paragon
Aug 2, 2020
I'm in the exact situation as you, and basically just accepted that I'm going to lay there and start decaying for a week or so until someone complains about the smell or a wellness check is requested by my parents. I really don't have any other choice.

I was debating hotel or renting a cabin but I'd rather a cop find my body than a hotel worker or random person since they are trained for gruesome stuff like that and I don't want to traumatize the employees.

Very good suggestions though, might consider doing something like this. Let me know what you decide. What would your note to the leasing office say??

G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
You could mail a letter. If you're mailing locally it should only take a couple days to arrive.

Reactions: eeyore9128
Silver

Silver

The 21st century is when everything changes
Aug 8, 2020
I am in a similar position @PJFord . I live alone and don't want my family to find me, but can't be undiscovered for too long because my cat would suffer. I expect a delayed email might be easier than you think. On Hotmail/ Outlook email, when you want to send it there is an option to 'send later'.

8779A815 5D1E 4267 B57D 980FCE68FCBB

Unfortunately sending both emails and letters assumes they're going to be read immediately so you should send to more than one person for a higher chance of being read on time.