TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
Disclaimer: This is something that I've thought about before and this is just a theory, speculation if you will, so don't take as an absolute fact.

My claim is that pro-lifers will oftenly find (other) reasons and ways to ban or restrict firearms even if mass shootings weren't as prolific as they are in the US in the recent years (both pre-pandemic and post pandemic). The recent years especially during the pandemic and even after the pandemic there were rise in firearm ownership across the populace as well as increase in mass shootings as well as violent crime (in various places) across the country. Therefore as a result, there has been more focus on the topic of gun violence and shootings in the news as well as talks of further restrictions on gun rights.

Not to get too political, but I believe that part of the reason there has been more pushback between two opposite both sides (conservatives and liberals) lies in the fact that because firearm ownership (from the 2nd amendment - the right to bear arms) is a constitutional right, therefore, people are less reluctant to ban it or restrict it outright, at least not without a lot of resistance from one of the sides and what not.

Now suppose (in an alternative universe) that we live in a world where mass shootings and homicides are not as prevalent as they are in the US but much rarer, and besides legitimate purposes for firearms (self-defense, recreation, and survival (hunting and other activities)), people are using it to check out of a shitty, awful existence, I still believe prolifers will find some reason to restrict (or even ban) firearm accessibility. Instead of more focus on the criminal aspect, they would likely concentrate more on the suicide and mental health aspect (more invasive probing and screening of mental illnesses, symptoms, behaviors, etc.) and use that as justification to hinder accessibility to the method, or even outright ban it (harder since the 2nd amendment and part of the US Constitution).

Meanwhile, SN (Sodium Nitrite) is a chemical compound that is used in curing and preservation of meat and while it isn't used for malevolent purposes, harm to other people (offensively), and generally for lawful purposes (I have yet to read about a case where one uses it for harm to others) is being restricted and even some prolifers are calling for an outright ban on it. It has become harder and harder to acquire said substance for reliability in CTB. Since SN isn't like the 2nd amendment, there is less pushback towards it's restriction of it's accessibility or even outright bans on acquisition (in some areas). Obviously someone who is determined will find ways to acquire it indirectly or directly, or even those who are fortunate, but those are outliers and besides the point. The point is that general accessibility has become more difficult due to prolifers pushing for restrictions for the substance, if not even outright pushing for a ban for it.

What do you guys think, is my claim pretty accurate, on point, or is there something else at play here?

Reactions: 1000winds, pthnrdnojvsc and Nightmare Painting
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I just think that no matter what pro lifers would find ways to take away methods. It's cruel how they try to force people to live. Pro life is really just pro suffering. Taking away methods would never even reduce suicide at all, people would just end up resorting to methods like hanging and jumping.

Reactions: TAW122
Superdeterminist

Superdeterminist

Enlightened
Apr 5, 2020
Someone once linked an Italian article about a guy who allegedly killed some people by sprinkling SN in their dinner. But you can kill people in so many different ways with everyday objects, e.g. knife or rope.

If they want to restrict it, then they need to allow assisted suicide facilities so people can die peacefully, otherwise they're forcing brutal suicides e.g. jumping and train deaths, which can potentially endanger/traumatise others. They want 0 suicides, but they don't want to acknowledge how unrealistic and unreasonable that is.

Reactions: Lily (Osako), Regrets and rationaltake
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
All I want to say is that I'm one of those liberals you mention, except I believe 100% in the 2nd amendment. Guns for everybody!

Samael96

Samael96

It is not death, but dying, which is terrible.
Jun 12, 2021
Someone once linked an Italian article about a guy who allegedly killed some people by sprinkling SN in their dinner. But you can kill people in so many different ways with everyday objects, e.g. knife or rope.

If they want to restrict it, then they need to allow assisted suicide facilities so people can die peacefully, otherwise they're forcing brutal suicides e.g. jumping and train deaths, which can potentially endanger/traumatise others. They want 0 suicides, but they don't want to acknowledge how unrealistic and unreasonable that is.
Funny enough it happened again. Last week a woman killed her mother the same exact way, putting SN in the pasta, admitting that she copied the idea of the boy.

I think that from now on SN is going to sky rocket in usage, both for suicide and homicide, cause it's easy to get, cheap and you can legit put it anywhere.

Problem is that for people that want to ctb it will be bad news as it will start getting limited etc

• Informative
Reactions: Euthanza, rationaltake and Superdeterminist
Jrmull1993

Jrmull1993

Warlock
Jul 13, 2022
They say that suicide is not an illegal act, but they damn sure make the process next to illegal

Reactions: Forever Sleep and rationaltake
Samael96

Samael96

It is not death, but dying, which is terrible.
Jun 12, 2021
They say that suicide is not an illegal act, but they damn sure make the process next to illegal
Suicide is not illegal and will probably never be illegal, but as good as it might sound unfortunately there is always a quibble.. and that is that you have to be deemed "mentally capable" of making decisions. That is stated on a thread of a case brought upon the court of human rights, within the article 8 of the Geneva Convention

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Disclaimer: This is something that I've thought about before and this is just a theory, speculation if you will, so don't take as an absolute fact.

My claim is that pro-lifers will oftenly find (other) reasons and ways to ban or restrict firearms even if mass shootings weren't as prolific as they are in the US in the recent years (both pre-pandemic and post pandemic). The recent years especially during the pandemic and even after the pandemic there were rise in firearm ownership across the populace as well as increase in mass shootings as well as violent crime (in various places) across the country. Therefore as a result, there has been more focus on the topic of gun violence and shootings in the news as well as talks of further restrictions on gun rights.

Not to get too political, but I believe that part of the reason there has been more pushback between two opposite both sides (conservatives and liberals) lies in the fact that because firearm ownership (from the 2nd amendment - the right to bear arms) is a constitutional right, therefore, people are less reluctant to ban it or restrict it outright, at least not without a lot of resistance from one of the sides and what not.

Now suppose (in an alternative universe) that we live in a world where mass shootings and homicides are not as prevalent as they are in the US but much rarer, and besides legitimate purposes for firearms (self-defense, recreation, and survival (hunting and other activities)), people are using it to check out of a shitty, awful existence, I still believe prolifers will find some reason to restrict (or even ban) firearm accessibility. Instead of more focus on the criminal aspect, they would likely concentrate more on the suicide and mental health aspect (more invasive probing and screening of mental illnesses, symptoms, behaviors, etc.) and use that as justification to hinder accessibility to the method, or even outright ban it (harder since the 2nd amendment and part of the US Constitution).

Meanwhile, SN (Sodium Nitrite) is a chemical compound that is used in curing and preservation of meat and while it isn't used for malevolent purposes, harm to other people (offensively), and generally for lawful purposes (I have yet to read about a case where one uses it for harm to others) is being restricted and even some prolifers are calling for an outright ban on it. It has become harder and harder to acquire said substance for reliability in CTB. Since SN isn't like the 2nd amendment, there is less pushback towards it's restriction of it's accessibility or even outright bans on acquisition (in some areas). Obviously someone who is determined will find ways to acquire it indirectly or directly, or even those who are fortunate, but those are outliers and besides the point. The point is that general accessibility has become more difficult due to prolifers pushing for restrictions for the substance, if not even outright pushing for a ban for it.

What do you guys think, is my claim pretty accurate, on point, or is there something else at play here?
Yes, I think you're ABSOLUTELY right. I once looked into the helium and exit bag method. I think I read that they now mix a bit of oxygen in with the helium for what I assume are the cannisters readily available to anyone for balloons- so it won't work.

Reckon anything that can provide a quick and relatively painless exit will be targeted for restriction. Feels so shitty doesn't it?

Still, I guess any company doesn't really want a load of press saying their products are being used for people to off themselves on mass. Especially children I would imagine. Imagine the stink the parents would create- if they were the caring sort. Kind of inevitable that non-essential, specific substances and chemicals that are readily available get restricted when word gets around that they are good for ctb.

Obviously, they can't really restrict certain things like rope but I reckon all harmful chemicals likely have some form of procedure you need to get through to purchase.

Still frustrating for us though...

I reckon that IS what they want to do- to force brutal suicides because I suppose they hope it will put people off doing it... It's putting me off doing it for sure. Still, it gets to a point where even that isn't enough to stop people and I agree- it's appalling that these people- who have suffered in life then have to have a horrific death.

If I one day manage to go ahead with it, I do feel bad for the people who will have to come along and clean up the mess. Likelihood is it would be law enforcement as I plan to go at home and I live alone. Sort of tell myself they are trained for stuff like that. Also have a family and children living next door. I don't want them to see. It upsets me but then- I also think- I would be going the assisted suicide route if it was available- it's so shitty it has to be like this.

Last edited:
  • Aww..
Reactions: Jrmull1993
Euthanza

Euthanza

Self Righteous Suicide
Jun 9, 2022
Pro-lifer is too good for a label they're proud of. Should just called them NPC (non pro choice)

• Yay!
Reactions: TAW122 and Jrmull1993