ColorlessTrees

ColorlessTrees

Stuck
Jan 4, 2022
To preface for anyone unfamiliar, PMDD is basically being sensitive to the hormonal shift of the luteal/second phase of the menstrual cycle; in turn, this causes a host of mental and physical illness. It's depression, massive anxiety, horrid mood swings, raging or crying at the tiniest thing, feeling too much, feeling numb, feeling like my head is full of cotton or too many thoughts, obsession, fixation, suicidality, just horrid pain by anything that bothers me, like I've been stabbed in the chest. Then I bleed and everything is 'fine', or I'll be in a good mood all things considered, until shit starts up again.

For me that looks like failed college, failed trade school, a failed relationship, few friends, and zero interest in anything interesting and ultimately NEETdom, because I make the plans in my good week(s), then fuck them up impulsively after ovulation.
Then I get back to my good week wondering why the hell I sabotaged it all.

Have tried Lexapro, it fucked me up. Have tried Junel Fe, also fucked me up. Want to try Yaz, but I'm afraid of the side effects, particularly because it's potassium sparing. Anyone have experience with birth control(s) you can share? Good or bad. Also seed cycling.

I'm aware this is a jumbled fucking mess bc luteal and I'm living on carbs which is a mess for me. Anyway, with this thread I'm looking for advice from anyone suffering from it, anyone who has improved it, or anyone with it who would like to talk and/or be friends. In the case of the latter, refer to my recovery ad.

I'm past the point of caring to be articulate, but thanks for anyone who takes time to respond ❤️

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: emptyshell, miserableforever, Message In A Bottle and 7 others
LateForTheBus

LateForTheBus

Experienced
Feb 7, 2023
I'm so sorry you suffer from PMDD. Unfortunately, I don't have any advice for you, but I just wanted to say I'm sending you tons of love and support. (Hugs)

• Love
Reactions: redbathingduck and ColorlessTrees
TheBigBurden

TheBigBurden

Antisocial and yet I’m here
Dec 27, 2019
I completely understand this although I was never officially diagnosed with pmdd I suspect I have it . For many years I was slightly more stable on a BC (although I contribute that to my religious psychosis 💀) but it was discontinued and I tried others and the generic and they messed me up. But many years ago before I was on that I actually tried yaz and it made me feel like the Hulk I was so angry it was bizarre. But everyone is different it might be the right BC for you. I was interested in trying seed cycling too, but I feel awful half the time and its hard to keep up with things. I was also interested in herbal remedies but again also hard to keep up with consistently but I hear some people have success with it, I've been meaning to get serious about researching it but brain mush. One herbal remedy I do know that helps me when I'm very anxious is lemon balm.

• Love
Reactions: ColorlessTrees
ColorlessTrees

ColorlessTrees

Stuck
Jan 4, 2022
I completely understand this although I was never officially diagnosed with pmdd I suspect I have it . For many years I was slightly more stable on a BC (although I contribute that to my religious psychosis 💀) but it was discontinued and I tried others and the generic and they messed me up. But many years ago before I was on that I actually tried yaz and it made me feel like the Hulk I was so angry it was bizarre. But everyone is different it might be the right BC for you. I was interested in trying seed cycling too, but I feel awful half the time and its hard to keep up with things. I was also interested in herbal remedies but again also hard to keep up with consistently but I hear some people have success with it, I've been meaning to get serious about researching it but brain mush. One herbal remedy I do know that helps me when I'm very anxious is lemon balm.
Thank you❤️

I've heard the same kind of what you describe from others on Yaz, but also some positive stories on the flip side. Interesting considering it's the only 'approved' birth control for PMDD. I'm curious what the name of the discontinued one was if you remember?

Consistency is also hard for me; I've heard magnesium/calcium, B Vitamins, Vitamin D, primrose oil, DIM, and chasteberry/vitex might be worth trying, though you probably already know. St John's Wort too(?), but you have to be careful with adding meds there. You could try those daily pill containers or a daily alarm, that helped me remember my bc every day, but even so I end up forgetting too.

In case anyone happens to be lurking, too, other stuff I've heard is cutting caffeine/refined sugar/dairy/alcohol, which probably helps, but ironically when my PMDD was at my worst I was eating the cleanest. 😭

If I try any of this I'll post updates here.

Reactions: TheBigBurden
TheBigBurden

TheBigBurden

Antisocial and yet I’m here
Dec 27, 2019
Thank you❤️

I've heard the same kind of what you describe from others on Yaz, but also some positive stories on the flip side. Interesting considering it's the only 'approved' birth control for PMDD. I'm curious what the name of the discontinued one was if you remember?

Consistency is also hard for me; I've heard magnesium/calcium, B Vitamins, Vitamin D, primrose oil, DIM, and chasteberry/vitex might be worth trying, though you probably already know. St John's Wort too(?), but you have to be careful with adding meds there. You could try those daily pill containers or a daily alarm, that helped me remember my bc every day, but even so I end up forgetting too.

In case anyone happens to be lurking, too, other stuff I've heard is cutting caffeine/refined sugar/dairy/alcohol, which probably helps, but ironically when my PMDD was at my worst I was eating the cleanest. 😭

If I try any of this I'll post updates here.
The discontinued one was Orthotricyclen-lo and I wish I knew why would the generic made my mood so messed up since they're supposed to be similar. I'm on the downward spiral right now, so even when I put my vitamins in my sparkly pill box thats right next to me I don't bother 💀.

Reactions: ColorlessTrees
todienomore

todienomore

Arcanist
Apr 7, 2023
80% of people are magnesium deficient, anecdotally I've heard of repletion eliminating menstrual cramps. I'm a fan of Magnesium malate pills, magnesium glycinate powder, and topical Magnesium 'oil' (Mag chloride flakes + pure water in a glass container)

It helps GABA, lowers glutamate. Too much also lowers dopamine. Glutamate is important in moderation.

Personally I think birth control is poison. If you are worried about pregnancy track your basal temperature, that is the safest way. You should really research the criticisms of birth control carefully, it sounds like you're already doing that.

You might also research Saffron as an alternative to SSRI's. Or herbal MAOI's. I'm a fan of skullcap, it helps dopamine, serotonin and GABA.

Morning sun exposure is the keystone of healthy neurotransmitter levels. We simply arent meant to live in artificially lit caves, our body has no idea what is going on.

Sublingual pregnenolone might be another to consider.

Lastly, I'm just guessing, you might try taking activated charcoal as a general detox. Basically are bodies are trying to dump stuff out all the time in the bile and our body is pretty good at reabsorbing the inflammatory trash.

Hope this helps, not trying to be preachy just throwing out some research leads.

Reactions: TheBigBurden, Message In A Bottle and ColorlessTrees