D

Deleted member 4993

This just goes on and on. The plumber failed to source a PRV. He says you can't get one for a mains water supply, only hot water supply. He's going to pop round and adjust the WH arrestor, which is near the boiler. He says the only other way is to pay the water company to fit a new, exclusive mains supply.

I'm not entirely convinced.

Utter rubbish !! Can be bought from any decent plumbing supplies. Should have been advised and fitted long ago sadly.
Any decent plumber would be carrying one in his stock tbh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Deafsn0w
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
That's what I thought. I need a different plumber. Tried five other so far though, will have to move my search out to neighbouring towns.

D

Deleted member 4993

Image https://www.plumberparts.co.uk › pr...
Pressure reducing valves - PlumberParts
Even some water softeners require pressure reducing valves to prevent their overflow from constantly running. They come in 15mm and 22mm compression. Where do I install a pressure reducing valve? In the mains cold ...

Reactions: sufferingalways and Deafsn0w
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Hahaha, thanks. I'll show him that when he comes over. I expect I'll have to get a different plumber, but I want him to see that link.

D

Deleted member 4993

They are just avoiding the problem at the source, and fitting add ons such as non return valve + shock arrestor etc at different locations, the problem will just continue in other areas.
It is basic Plumbing to test for for high pressure and reduce at the source to cure problems ( I doubt he has a pressure test ) gauge )

best wishes
Btw it's an easy job :-) about 46 to 48 Psi

Water pressure
High water pressure doesn't just put your pipes at risk, but can also lead to appliance breakdowns. If water is pushed into dishwashers, washing machines and other domestic appliances at too high a pressure, it can wreak havoc on their internal components. Furthermore, it can lead to annoying banging pipes!

You may have a water pressure regulator. This will be located at the area your water supply enters your house. If you do not have a water pressure regulator, you can check your water pressure yourself by buying a pressure gauge from a DIY and home improvement store. You may also be able to find a water pressure regulator in these retailers, but installing it will be a job-and-a-half if you are not a skilled plumber.

Your water pressure should be around 50 PSI. If your water pressure is higher than 80psi, you should adjust your water pressure regulator; if you do not have one of these regulators, then call in a plumber

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: sufferingalways, Deafsn0w and Deleted member 1465
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Upon your advice and also my instinct I have declined to call that plumber back.
Instead I called another with great reviews to ask if he could fit ne a PRV. Unfortunately he doesn't service my area but he did understand the problem. He used to be an engineer and a hydrodynamics lecturer!
He agreed. Air from a dead leg causing hydrostatic shock due to being on a shared main. Some one else on the shared main flushes the toilet with a dodgy refill valve, I get the rushing sound and a bang, as the trapped air causes a shock wave.
He scoffed at the idea of letting air out of the arrestor.
He recommended testing water pressure at night (that's when the sound is) with a pressure gauge off ebay connected to the wash machine service port to see if the overnight pressure is too high, before fitting a PRV. Id have to do this myself.
He also explained about standing pressure and working pressure.
He agreed that the other plumber was mistaken as you said. He was thinking of pressure relief valve for a hot water system rather than a reduction / regulator valve for a cold water main. That's what the new guy said.
This is the most promising local guy I've talked to. We spoke the same language. But he said in all his years he'd never fitted a PRV for that problem.
My toilet flush also makes a noise now and I'm wondering if that might be a contributor. He suggested that it could be or it could be anyone else on the shared main too.
Here's my plan.
1. Get the fill valve on the toilet replaced. I had the washer done and the groaning stopped but I think the whole thing needs replacing. See if that helps as a simple fix.
2. Call the utilities and find the house numbers on the shared main then post a polite letter through their door explaining my problem and seeing if they have any issues too. Maybe if their issues are fixed it might help.
3. Persuade the new guy to source and fit a PRV. He says he only works in my area in the summer when he has less work on. I highly doubt I'll find another plumber round here as clever and copasetic. If he's never done this before none of the others will be any use.
5. If I can't do that, then digging up the floor boards to find any redundant spur is the last option. Can't afford that but cheaper than asking the water company to put in a new exclusive main.

Phew this is just the gift that keeps on giving. Why is it never easy? It's not like I have any other things to deal with like my deteriorating health or feeling suicidal or anything. :O

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: sufferingalways and Deleted member 4993
D

Deleted member 4993

I am sorry you've had so many problems tbh. At least this Plumber thinks correctly.
The continuous problems in so many different areas points significantly to high water pressure !!! which should have been tested long ago by any decent plumber. My own advice and plumbers I work with has always been to fit a Pressure Regulator at the incoming main stopcock if the pressure is high ( it is as easy as fitting a service valve into pipe work btw ) my mate fitted one for a customer only a week or so ago with the same related problems.

The fill valve may be faulty ? most are not fit for purpose :-) slow fill rubbish etc. Flomasta bottom entry fill valve with brass shank are good ( if it's bottom entry ) Screwfix
Its a good idea to ask your neighbours as they could well give advice.
I wouldn't even attempt to start ripping up floorboards etc.

I myself would be testing the pressure and if high would be fitting a Pressure Regulating Valve.

Sorry I can't be more help, my brain only functions right on certain days :-)

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Once again your advice mirrors my thinking and what the new guy told me. He was amazing by the way, clearly knew his stuff. Like yourself!
So unfortunate that he won't come to my area, at least not until the Summer when his workload tapers off. and he's never fitted a PRV for this issue, but he's still my best bet for that. I think the plumbers around here are a bit crap and will just say 'what?'

I do intend to test the pressure at night, I'll need to do that myself so I need to source a pressure gauge for the washing machine. I looked online but couldn't figure out what might be appropriate. I also called the utilities and know which houses are on the shared main now.

The fill valve is my first option with a new local plumber and I can ask practical advice then too.

I so wish I could do all this myself. Back when I was well I'd have had a shot. Okay, so i'd probably have made it all worse, but hey. Now I'd just be courting trouble in my current state. I've still got enough presence of mind to realise my limitations.

Thanks as ever @Passingby this will be an ongoing problem with no easy fix.

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 4993
Suicide_vampire

Suicide_vampire

In Vino Veritas
Feb 11, 2020
I've had five plumbers and all the help the internet has to offer!
I have banging coming from somewhere overnight with no water running/on and the heating off. There's a rush of water in the rising main, then a clunk/boom as it stops. Some sort of hydro-static pressure wave effect, but no idea what could be causing it as nothing is running to cause it! It shouldn't be possible.
My problems are always weird as, and no-one ever has any idea. Makes me wonder if I really AM delusional. But then there's an almighty BANG from the pipes.
Sounds like and airlock in the pipes

Reactions: Deleted member 1465
D

Deleted member 4993

It seems you have found a decent Plumber sadly most take the easy option.
I understand how you feel sadly illness and mental issues reduces many of us to a shadow of our former selves, hugs.

ebay > 142405003245

Suicide_vampire

Suicide_vampire

In Vino Veritas
Feb 11, 2020
I had a similar banging in my pipes a few years ago, turned off the stopcock and then turned on all the cold taps till nothing was coming through then put stopcock back on it fixed the issue

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
ebay > 142405003245
That's what I need! Thanks!
I had a similar banging in my pipes a few years ago, turned off the stopcock and then turned on all the cold taps till nothing was coming through then put stopcock back on it fixed the issue
Yeah I tried that, actually suggested it to the first plumber myself. Didn't work, which would indicate a dead spur.

D

Deleted member 4993

Can usually fix normal problems. But Boiler problems and shock arrestor fitted are high pressure problems.