• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

Tread softly for you tread on my dreams
Apr 17, 2023
Lol it's actually how I feel about Schopenhauer. There is a portable Nietzsche book by the way that is pretty digestible
Schopenhauer's essays are easy. His book is hard.

• Informative
Reactions: sserafim
Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

Apr 17, 2023
I read some of his writings on suicide they were very interesting
Yet he never took his own advice. A hypocrite living a lavish life despite saying such a life is meaningless

• Wow
D

DreamEnd

Enlightened
Aug 4, 2022
Yet he never took his own advice. A hypocrite living a lavish life despite saying such a life is meaningless
Most philosophers didn't. I think despite of what they thought, they still considered it a mission to provide something of value for future generations

Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

Apr 17, 2023
Most philosophers didn't. I think despite of what they thought, they still considered it a mission to provide something of value for future generations
The modern world doesn't care about that stuff anymore. The modern world feels so empty

D

DreamEnd

Enlightened
Aug 4, 2022
The modern world doesn't care about that stuff anymore. The modern world feels so empty
Yeah. Materialism and consumption became the new religion. Celebrities became the idols worshipped, just look at Taylor swift or "swifties", the kardashians etc. internet addiction, TikTok etc. do kids even read books nowadays? the theatre behind politics, elections. Wah wah it's all just a one big spectacle and we aren't in it. Philosophy and speculation on the nature of our life isn't profitable. Put up or shut up. More technology, more comfort, more control, more pills, less criticism of government, fake wars, fake leaders, fake elections. Infinite entertainment to distract from important issues. This is the apocalypse and we are slowly living in it

Last edited:
vadim

vadim

Disqualified From Being Human
Aug 10, 2023
Schopenhauer actually did not recommend suicide because according to him, it's affirmation of the Will rather than denial of it. Denial of the Will is to be achieved through denying life's pleasures rather than trying to escape suffering, which is actually assertion of the will to live. I suppose that doesn't really matter if suicide ends your existence, but Schopenhauer believed in reincarnation of a sort. The essay "On Suicide" was mostly a defence of Hume's position on suicide and condemnation of how christians at the time punished people who attempted suicide and their families.

You're totally right in calling him a hypocrite though, he didn't exactly practice what he preached in regard to asceticism. Or empathy, since he was a often shithead to the people in his life. That being said, I find "On Suicide" to be very touching and sensitive, it's one of my favourite essays of his.