W

Wisdom3_1-9

he/him/his
Jul 19, 2020
I'm in a weird mood today, so I'm just going to get these off my chest. Maybe it'll make me less volatile.

1. Long posts that are all just one paragraph. I just find them so difficult to read. Paragraphs are so helpful in grouping thoughts and make things so much easier for the reader.

2. Using "then" instead of "than." More so than other common misspellings (there/their/they're; your/you're; it's/its), this one bothers me because they're not even homophones.

I know that I make errors from time to time; everyone does. Nonetheless, I think there's value in trying to make your posts as readable and clear as possible. I'm that annoying friend who always uses proper grammar and punctuation in text messages because I believe that in the absence of visual and verbal cues, we should want our meaning and intent to come across as clearly as possible.

Okay, I'll come off my soapbox now. Anyone have any other pet peeves they'd like to share? Like when people don't use their turn signal/indicator? Ugh... don't get me started on that one...

• Hugs
Reactions: watsonsmith, _Minsk, 262653 and 6 others
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
When it comes to this website it does bother me a little when people use CBT when they really mean CTB. I know how trivial it is so I usually don't try to correct anyone but still...

• Hugs
Reactions: LivideLamb, Caspers, 262653 and 4 others
W

Wisdom3_1-9

he/him/his
Jul 19, 2020
When it comes to this website it does bother me a little when people use CBT when they really mean CTB. I know how trivial it is so I usually don't try to correct anyone but still...
OMG YES! I recognize that we have many people here from other countries and so I've wondered if it was an initialism from a different language, but it does seem to feature in a lot of posts by English-speakers.

• Hugs
Reactions: Brick In The Wall and Dr Iron Arc
C

checkouttime

Visionary
Jul 15, 2020
I'm probably guilty of this, just because i'm too lazy to be arsed about it!! i do sometimes go back and correct stuff. so you will see my posts edited, usually to do with something not spelt right or missing a word out(don't if that's to do with the spell correction stuff etc).

basically half the time i'm just too lazy to do it,rather than not being able to do it.

I do think we have all different levels of intelligence etc here though.which may account for some. i don't think we should call out everyone for not being good at english writing!!

I bet you love the fake, kid, profiles then!!!!!

• Hugs
Reactions: 262653 and Brick In The Wall
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
I used to have alot of pet peeves but over the years I just stopped giving a fuck. Hardly anything bothers me anymore and it's kind of a relief.

• Love
Reactions: OccydePoes, NeverGoodEnuff, TheSoulless and 3 others
E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
using 'of' instead of 'have', i.e. He would of done that/he would have done that.
Of is a preposition, not an auxiliary verb.

Although I don't actually see it very often.

• Love
Reactions: TheSoulless, Deleted member 19654, Skathon and 1 other person
W

Wisdom3_1-9

he/him/his
Jul 19, 2020
@checkouttime I do have to catch myself. I'm very particular about writing myself — likely the product of growing up with an English teacher for a mother. I recognize that people make typographical, grammatical, and spelling errors regularly. And when posting on a forum, some things just don't seem that important. I try not to let it get to me too much.

The "then/than" thing, though (say that ten times fast...) bothered me a lot when reading my students' essays. I've even seen it in professional publications. How do editors miss that?!

See... I just used "?!" which is grammatically incorrect, but I understand it works in a context like an Internet forum. Plus, I like it. It adds clarity to the message, in my opinion. Perhaps one day, we will officially adopt the interrobang.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: 262653, esse_est_percipi and checkouttime
marcusuk63

marcusuk63

CTB
Mar 24, 2019
I'm probably guilty of this, just because i'm too lazy to be arsed about it!! i do sometimes go back and correct stuff. so you will see my posts edited, usually to do with something not spelt right or missing a word out(don't if that's to do with the spell correction stuff etc).

basically half the time i'm just too lazy to do it,rather than not being able to do it.

I do think we have all different levels of intelligence etc here though.which may account for some. i don't think we should call out everyone for not being good at english writing!!

I bet you love the fake, kid, profiles then!!!!!

There are seven errors in your post .
Only kidding. I really dont care, the majority of people on here are suffering from mental illness and I`m sure Spelling and grammar is the last thing on their mind or English isn't their native language.
I find it refreshing that the grammar police are few and far between on here, it's not the place for it, leave that for Facebook .

• Love
Reactions: OccydePoes, Worthless_nobody, Mm80 and 8 others
C

checkouttime

Visionary
Jul 15, 2020
the majority of people on here are suffering from mental illness and I`m sure Spelling and grammar is the last thing on their mind

you've just hit the nail on the head!!!!
@checkouttime I do have to catch myself. I'm very particular about writing myself — likely the product of growing up with an English teacher for a mother. I recognize that people make typographical, grammatical, and spelling errors regularly. And when posting on a forum, some things just don't seem that important. I try not to let it get to me too much.

The "then/than" thing, though (day that ten times fast...) bothered me a lot when reading my students' essays. I've even seen it in professional publications. How do editors miss that?!

See... I just used "?!" which is grammatically incorrect, but I understand it works in a context like an Internet forum. Plus, I like it. It adds clarity to the message, in my opinion. Perhaps one day, we will officially adopt the interrobang.

you see ,you have been a student. you have written essays etc, so would be used to having to do things correctly!! i guess you might do a job where you email etc all the time?

I used to love english at high school and maths!! i was good at them as well. i also went to college, but learning a trade. so these things aren't as relevant to me, as they would be to someone who uses the computer to work from. if you are constantly working on the computer as a job, sending emails etc, i could totally see why you would be good at,/want to do things they way you say though.
@checkouttime

i use ?! or !!! to try give an expression of what i am saying. like for instance,if i am joking. so if i mean something serious i would just say for instance fuck off, hows that for good english!!! but if i was laughing at/about something i tend to use !!!!!!!!!!!! which i imagine isn't correct. but i feel when writing, their is just no expression

Last edited:
Reactions: Wisdom3_1-9 and marcusuk63
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
OMG YES! I recognize that we have many people here from other countries and so I've wondered if it was an initialism from a different language, but it does seem to feature in a lot of posts by English-speakers.

I occasionally make the error and I'm not one to make many spelling errors. CBT -- cognitive behavioral therapy -- is an acronym that I've come across many times as a therapy client and as a community mental health employee. I never encountered CTB before this site, so when I think of the acronym, I sometimes revert to the more familiar one in error.

• Hugs
Reactions: Wisdom3_1-9, 262653 and Dr Iron Arc
XYZ

XYZ

I just can’t get these damn wrists to bleed
Jul 22, 2020
I get where you're coming from, I think we all have these little things that annoy us. I can't read posts that lack paragraphs. My brain refuses to take in the information.

May I just say a few things on the difference between "then" and "than" which you brought up in the op?

I suspect you speak from the perspective of someone who either has English as their first language, or has studied English for a very long time. Not all users here are native speakers or have studied English at an advanced level. Furthermore this is an international forum for people who
a) are distressed
b) suffer from mental illnesses

Being distressed, mentally impaired and writing in a foreign language is bound to mess up your grammar and vocabulary.

"Then" and "than" are not homophones, but for the non-native speaker the /ɛ/ in "then" and the /æ/ in "than" may not be that different - one is open-mid, the other is more open and they are both uttered at the front of mouth.

I'll take myself as an example: I am fully aware that "then" is an adverb of time, while "than" is a preposition, but that is no guarantee that I will use them correctly because the monitor that usually checks my language production is very much influenced by emotional variables.

On a bad day, or when I am stressed out, I could write "I am happier then John" and not even notice it. And on a really bad day, I could stumble upon the John thread again, read my sentence, and hate myself even more for my bad command of spelling:hihi:

(Please don't get my wrong. I am not saying you should not get annoyed. I just wanted to explain why this particular pair of words can be tricky.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Wisdom3_1-9
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I'm in a weird mood today, so I'm just going to get these off my chest. Maybe it'll make me less volatile.

1. Long posts that are all just one paragraph. I just find them so difficult to read. Paragraphs are so helpful in grouping thoughts and make things so much easier for the reader.
Very much so.

Also:
  • BMW drivers. Sorry, generalisation here, but FFS sake learn to indicate. And yes, we know your brakes work.
  • Littering. Such a small thing, watching the kids drop sweet wrappers. But those kids grow into entitled fuckers with no respect for others, who then advance into position of power.
  • Bluebottles. Learn how to fly out of the house you annoying little shits.

Last edited:
Reactions: greebo6, NeverGoodEnuff, Sensei and 1 other person
Caspers

Caspers

Lost
Jun 23, 2020
Apostrophe's
Apostrophes's
'Apostrophe's
'A'P'O'S'T'R'O'P'H'E'S'
People using plural when it is not needed really gets on my nerves. MOT's is the most annoying one for me. It is not plural when you put an apostrophe there, nor does it belong to the MOT. I know the first one I wrote can be correct in some circumstance's (< I died inside doing that)

Reactions: NeverGoodEnuff, GoodPersonEffed, Skathon and 2 others
grungeCat

grungeCat

Awkward & weird
Jul 5, 2020
Maybe I'm not as active as others here but if you ever encountered my posts then they must be absolute nightmares for you to read :D Sorry, but in my defense I would like to add that I have troubles even expressing myself in my native language :D

• Hugs
Reactions: binturong
Despondent

Despondent

Archangel
Dec 20, 2019
I don't have many for this site, but maybe one would be when a new member first joins this site and wants others to do their research for them. We all have questions about our methods, of course. I asked a lot of questions when I first joined and still do sometimes. Now that I've been here for a while, I realize that it can be a pet peeve.

Nothing to do with pet peeves for this site but another one is when people eat with their mouth open/smacks their food. If anyone does that here, I'm sorry and it's nothing against you. Heavy breathing as well but only in some cases, not all.

Reactions: Caspers, Wisdom3_1-9 and Deleted member 19654
W

Wisdom3_1-9

he/him/his
Jul 19, 2020
you see ,you have been a student. you have written essays etc, so would be used to having to do things correctly!! i guess you might do a job where you email etc all the time?
Yes, I was a professor and now work in finance. I am in front of a computer everyday. I do realize that the need for proper spelling and grammar for the purposes of clarity of expression are not as necessary in other fields. Still, I feel a small sense of loss that it's disappearing from society somewhat.

I occasionally make the error and I'm not one to make many spelling errors. CBT -- cognitive behavioral therapy -- is an acronym that I've come across many times as a therapy client and as a community mental health employee. I never encountered CTB before this site, so when I think of the acronym, I sometimes revert to the more familiar one in error.
Never thought of this. Thanks for sharing.

Furthermore this is an international forum for people who
a) are distressed
b) suffer from mental illnesses
"Then" and "than" are not homophones, but for the non-native speaker the /ɛ/ in "then" and the /æ/ in "than" may not be that different - one is open-mid, the other is more open and they are both uttered at the front of mouth.
Thank you for sharing this perspective! I do think my original post was insensitive to our members whose first language is not English. I forget how challenging that can be and I should be more patient.

Littering.
Totally agree! It's really not that hard to not litter. I don't understand people.

Apostrophe's
Apostrophes's
'Apostrophe's
'A'P'O'S'T'R'O'P'H'E'S'
AMEN! Have you read "Eats, Shoots and Leaves?"

• Hugs
Reactions: checkouttime, GoodPersonEffed, XYZ and 2 others
XYZ

XYZ

I just can’t get these damn wrists to bleed
Jul 22, 2020
Yes, I was a professor and now work in finance. I am in front of a computer everyday. I do realize that the need for proper spelling and grammar for the purposes of clarity of expression are not as necessary in other fields. Still, I feel a small sense of loss that it's disappearing from society somewhat.

Thank you for sharing this perspective! I do think my original post was insensitive to our members whose first language is not English. I forget how challenging that can be and I should be more patient.

Totally agree! It's really not that hard to not litter. I don't understand people.

Thank you for your gracious replies:hug:

C

checkouttime

Visionary
Jul 15, 2020

i expect you to get everything right now you've told me you were a professor!! I'm sure the principal would be very disappointed if you weren't lol.

If i used the computer everyday i would expect to be good at it all the time, you would need to be. I have only really used the computer since i decided to CTB. i used it before, but mostly to buy stuff or write a bill. i have a problem where sometimes i type how i might be talking to someone, i bet it doesn't make sense to people that aren't from where i live etc!!!

marcusuk63

marcusuk63

CTB
Mar 24, 2019
i have a problem where sometimes i type how i might be talking to someone, i bet it doesn't make sense to people that aren't from where i live etc!!!
[/QUOTE]

I tend to do that too and have to go back and add words lol , i`m from Yorkshire , a part that has a horrible accent and it even make me cringe . DOTE= Don`t , C*NT= couldn't , OHM =home etc , we dont pronounce H`s

Reactions: checkouttime
C

checkouttime

Visionary
Jul 15, 2020
i have a problem where sometimes i type how i might be talking to someone, i bet it doesn't make sense to people that aren't from where i live etc!!!

I tend to do that too and have to go back and add words lol , i`m from Yorkshire , a part that has a horrible accent and it even make me cringe . DOTE= Don`t , C*NT= couldn't , OHM =home etc , we dont pronounce H`s
[/QUOTE]

well your hard enough to understand as it is lmao!! says the manc.... EYAR

Reactions: Deleted member 19654 and marcusuk63
Lilacmoon

Lilacmoon

Beautiful moon, take me away.
Sep 23, 2020
...People that eat loud. Those slurping sounds haunt my nightmares. Lip smacking noises when talking. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

• Aww..
Reactions: 262653 and checkouttime
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Companies that post elusive contact info on their sites, designed to stop you contacting them. Web chats that tell you to call customer help, then customer help that tells you to use web chats etc.

Companies that do this kind of thing, then when you give them an accurate review on Tustpilot, attempt to bribe you to take the 'negative' review down!
NB. I never give negative reviews, only accurately reported ones.

Where I come from, the older farmers still talk in dialect. No one understands them, not even other farmers. :pfff:

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: 262653, Sensei, marcusuk63 and 2 others
T

TheQ22

Enlightened
Aug 17, 2020

[/QUOTE]
From Yorkshire as well. I remember when I was a kid one of the national tabloids did an article about accents and how they sounded to other people, at that point I didn't even realise i had an accent.

I can still remember it decades later that one of the examples they gave for Yorkshire would be that "Who was she with" would be pronounced Oowashywi.

"I'm off to town" would be amoftatarn.

And I cringed and thought - ooh flip - that's what I sound like to other people.

• Love
Reactions: marcusuk63
Xocoyotziin

Xocoyotziin

Scorpion
Sep 5, 2020
I have basically one pet peeve and it's really big: when people try to overtly assert dominance over me because of my appearance and mannerisms. Like low key you're a pussy boy and I can do whatever I want and the onus is on you to try to prove yourself type shit. Hell fucking no. You're deliberately trying to make a stranger uncomfortable because you don't like the way they act, and you want them to posture like they care about your little masculine hierarchy. You're the one who should be checking yourself, not me, and I can't be fucking bothered.

When it's accidental it's okay I mean I accidentally violate people's boundaries all the fucking time because I'm an idiot who can't truly connect with anyone and I feel immense regret. But these fucking people feel justified, they do it with the explicit intent of violating me. I attract it like a god damn magnet, though thankfully nothing notably terrible has happened as a result of it, and sometimes I even think it's my fault but hell no. No no no. Might does not fucking make right. I don't have to change myself to conform to something that isn't right for me.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: 262653, TheSoulless and GoodPersonEffed
Xocoyotziin

Xocoyotziin

Scorpion
Sep 5, 2020
Pussy boy - I love it. Are they the ones you find in Bankok?

Or is that dick girls? I forget.

Anyway I know what you mean, it's shit when people act like that.

Ooh lady boys - that's it. No, Bankok chick boys. @Mm80 can tell you all about the chick boys.
What? Fuck you.

Reactions: NeverGoodEnuff and GoodPersonEffed
Xocoyotziin

Xocoyotziin

Scorpion
Sep 5, 2020
Well that's a bit mean. I was trying to sympathise with you.

You're sounding a bit homo (phobic).
You being sincere or is this the fucking riptide?
Nah, I'm phobic of people who think the phrases pussy boy and dick girl are a legitimate way to think of anyone, and who would casually forget which term they even used because of course *those people* are just expendable, exotic furniture. Their identities are a joke anyway, right? Not meant to be seriously considered?

And I suppose now I've been pigeonholed as a crazy leftist despite never having any political affiliation in my life. Whatever. Glad the facade's been broken anyhow. I'm guessing you'd say something about how you could beat me up in real life next.

I think I understand what the fundamenral misunderstanding here is. I have no qualms with people acknowledging my femininity, in fact I find it gratifying, but I hate when people think there's something wrong with me for it and what I hate even more is when men, very specifically men, I selectively hate many of them, recently including you, despite having the misfortune of sharing their sex, think that it's okay to treat me poorly for it just because I don't have a fucking vagina. It's okay because I'm not a real woman anyway, only real women are allowed to be themselves. Only real women are allowed to talk a certain way or want certain things or have a certain attitude. The rest we can bully the fuck out of because we, meaning men, hate femininity if it doesn't have a womb attached that we can fuck and impregnate. So fuck all of you. I'm so fucking done with this planet.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: 262653
Throwawaysoul

Throwawaysoul

Mage
May 14, 2018
Grammar Nazis that just shout the right usage but they don't explain the proper way like they're vastly superior for possessing knowledge.

People that go to work sick and talk about it all day.

Loud nose blowers. I'm talking truck honking nose blowers.

• Hugs
Reactions: Worthless_nobody and 262653
Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
Very much so.

Also:
  • BMW drivers. Sorry, generalisation here, but FFS sake learn to indicate. And yes, we know your brakes work.
  • Littering. Such a small thing, watching the kids drop sweet wrappers. But those kids grow into entitled fuckers with no respect for others, who then advance into position of power.
  • Bluebottles. Learn how to fly out of the house you annoying little shits.
Lol the top one reminds me of a joke i heard.
Whenever you feel like your job is pointless., just remember that somewhere in the world, there is a poor little fella in a factory putting indicators on bmw s.

Reactions: Wisdom3_1-9
TheSoulless

TheSoulless

I'd like to fly but my wings have been so denied
Jan 7, 2020
When someone says that they're a "metalhead" but listen to classical too – and the classical turns out to be something like Holst's Mars. Usually just some cookie cutter "heavy classical".

"Just because I listen to metal doesn't mean I can't listen to classical!" Yeah, just listen to something other than Beethoven's 5th for once.

I sounds elitist, but I don't really care. It's annoying.

• Hugs
Reactions: 262653
Xocoyotziin

Xocoyotziin

Scorpion
Sep 5, 2020
I'm sorry. I know you didn't mean anything by it.