illvoid

illvoid

he/it
Aug 11, 2022
I've been doing some serious reflection lately, and I'm beginning to realize that the way I think and interact with the world around me is extremely maladaptive and abnormal. I have known for some time that I have a lot of cluster b and some cluster c traits, but I'm extremely afraid of professional diagnosis. I do want to get better, as my unstable emotions have caused me to act out in ways I am extremely ashamed of, as well as impulsively attempt ctb several times. Has anyone here had any progress or success in recovery from BPD or HPD in particular? I have a hard time accurately describing my symptoms to other people because it makes me feel vulnerable and exposed in a way that absolutely disgusts me, which has made psychotherapy pretty much useless. I'm aware of my options as far as other treatment methods, but I would really like to hear from someone who's experienced this or something similar. Any and all help is appreciated.

Reactions: ForsakenEcho and leavingthesoultrap
ForgottenAgain

ForgottenAgain

On the rollercoaster of sadness
Oct 17, 2023
I was diagnosed with BPD and I can say I've had success in adapting to the world around me. I've been doing psychotherapy for 16 years, on and off, with the same psychologist. I also took medication during some years and I'm taking medication currently.

I think with BPD life is made of extreme ups and downs and, even with treatment, I haven't been able to really avoid them but have been able to manage them better with help than without. I don't think I would have had the success I've had in life if it wasn't for therapy.

So yeah, I think therapy and medication do help a lot and you can recover even if it's just for some months or a year before falling back to feeling bad and going on the cycle again. If you have regular therapy, you can avoid extreme ups and downs better I'd say. I'm currently in an extreme down because I was without therapy for a year.

• Hugs
Reactions: ForsakenEcho
Fulminare

Fulminare

Read Thomas Szasz!
Feb 20, 2022
Random but some people might be interested in this. A lot of people who commit suicide and survive it are diagnosed with a cluster B personality disorder.

"personality disorders has been found to be present in as many as 57% of suicide victims, more often among young victims and when multiaxial diagnostic assessment has been employed."

"Suicide attempts, which often result in completed suicide, are heavily represented in individuals with one or more cluster B personality disorders"

Excerpts from "Suicidality in DSM IV cluster B personality disorders. An overview."
by Maurizio POMPILI, Amedeo RUBERTO, Paolo GIRARDI e Roberto TATARELLI

So I don't think it's unlikely for you and others on SS to have a PD (right after depression which seems to be the most common disorder here).

• Informative
Reactions: ForgottenAgain
leavingthesoultrap

leavingthesoultrap

(ᴗ_ ᴗ。)
Nov 25, 2023
I have BPD and so far recovery is not happening. But being aware of it helps in a way. I can recognise that I am going through an impulsive episode and try to counteract the impulses with rationality. But sometimes it fails