24SecondsTillDawn

24SecondsTillDawn

May 16, 2023
I'm curious if anyone else has experienced or thought about this.

When I was in middle school I had multiple friends who self harmed and they were never ones to hide it. They would often show off their cuts and talk about them, almost bragging about it. They made it seem like it was cool, almost like kids thinking it was cool to smoke or drink. Around that time I started self harming as well. I still wonder if the reason I ever started was because I saw all my friends doing it as well. If I had other friends or they never talked about it, would I have ever started? We are a product of our environment right? Are the friends I had growing up the reason I self harm and deal with depressive episodes now? I don't think they are the full reason for what I struggle with but I wonder how much they may have contributed to it.

• Love
Reactions: dkdkdkdkkd, warriorkot and The Burning Fool
jaxxon_sunn

jaxxon_sunn

Un jour je serai de retour près de toi
May 10, 2023
I developed an eating disorder after I followed my friend's pro ana instagram page when I was about 12. I was never in that headspace before, but after following their account and getting into the community it definitely made me spiral. I also found self harm accounts and those stuck in my head too. It wasn't entirely their fault I'd say. But maybe if I hadn't seen that side of the internet, I wouldn't have had my self esteem and self image go down so far.

• Love
Reactions: 24SecondsTillDawn
warriorkot

warriorkot

enjoy the unknown
Sep 20, 2023
i had the same experience!
i was in year 7 when i first found out about self harm. this was in 2012 and i found out from my best friend. she also introduced me to anorexia. i had a few other friends who would self harm and send me snapchats of their cuts.
i used to scratch my arms in primary school when i was 11 but i never knew what self harm was. the first time i cut myself was in year 7, but they were more so scratches. now at 21 my arm is full of scars.
i definitely think it contributed to my self harm and anorexia. but if they hadnt told me about self harm and anoerixa im sure i would have found out about it somewhere else.

• Love
DeadlineDialer

DeadlineDialer

Traversing the grid of death
Sep 20, 2023
I think self destructive tendencies are integral to the human experience. We are ultimately at the mercy of life itself and the fact of the matter is, no matter who you are or what you think you're capable of, you will never have control over life. It's only natural that we chase some sort of escape or a modicum of control through the ceaseless waves of helplessness pushing us around. We are all influenced by our surroundings, yes, and childhood especially is an emotional time. It's when many will start to get lost in their thoughts and are more likely to act on them lest they are drowned out. I feel that if someone wasn't truly in a headspace to hurt themselves or didn't find the idea of it appealing beyond "looking cool", chances are they would quickly drop it. Someone who gets attached to that little light of control or escape would already have a hard enough time with life that their circumstances would lead them to find some form of self destruction sooner or later.

Last edited:
  • Love