X

Xiaomi

Gone.
Aug 8, 2020
I have always wanted to be a computer programmer or a businessman but parents say degrees like that don't have any worth. Anyways, I don't have any escape from this since they have been paying for everything. Also, every time I get an online part time job, my parents act all mad saying I should just be patient. I can't even go out by myself anymore. Moving out is not an option. But CTB is.

Xdyzine

Xdyzine

Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most.
Nov 19, 2020
I have always wanted to be a computer programmer or a businessman but parents say degrees like that don't have any worth. Anyways, I don't have any escape from this since they have been paying for everything. Also, every time I get an online part time job, my parents act all mad saying I should just be patient. I can't even go out by myself anymore. Moving out is not an option. But CTB is.
I can understand what's that like to some extent, my dad won't let me quit a job I seriously hate and gives me anxiety plus depression. I'd rather be a bum or CTB if I have to deal with his shit any longer.

• Aww..
Reactions: TooConscious and Xiaomi
X

Xiaomi

Gone.
Aug 8, 2020
I can understand what's that like to some extent, my dad won't let me quit a job I seriously hate and gives me anxiety plus depression. I'd rather be a bum or CTB if I have to deal with his shit any longer.
It seems like our mental health doesn't matter to them...

KClown

KClown

Oct 20, 2020
Proving them wrong is difficult but possible.

Show them legit proof that professionss you mentioned are "worth it". Keep the pressure on.

Even if they won't agree with your choice, showing how determined you are will more than likely get them on your side.

• Aww..
Reactions: Xiaomi
S

sephlove

Nov 22, 2020
I totally understand this. My parents are just like this. And they gave me hell, and used money and security to blackmail and threaten me all the time. On top of that, they never let me have a job. This can have a HUGE impact on your mental health. I'm sorry you're going through this.
And btw, those are both great degrees and the job market is huge for both. I'm baffled that parents think they are God sometimes lol.

However, I would consider this question: do you want to escape life? Or do you want to escape your situation?

• Aww..
Xdyzine

Xdyzine

Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most.
Nov 19, 2020
It seems like our mental health doesn't matter to them...
Feels like it really doesn't , it's the staying oblivious that makes it worse and easy for them to intrude and steer your life. Leaving you stranded at a crossroad with no map.
And like everyone said OP, the professions you're mentioning are one of the best career paths these days, wonder why they wouldn't let you pursue them.

Last edited:
  • Aww..
X

Xiaomi

Gone.
Aug 8, 2020
Proving them wrong is difficult but possible.

Show them legit proof that professionss you mentioned are "worth it". Keep the pressure on.

Even if they won't agree with your choice, showing how determined you are will more than likely get them on your side.
Yes I have tried so much. Last year was like the peak of my passion to pursue this dream job but I always get derailed. Even worse, they threatened to stop my schooling if I didn't conform. It even got to the point that I fucking wanted to shoot the whole place up. Fortunately, that didn't happen and SS saved me from destruction. Now, I would never ever hurt anyone. I've been praying and all that. But I am getting closer to my death.
I totally understand this. My parents are just like this. And they gave me hell, and used money and security to blackmail and threaten me all the time. On top of that, they never let me have a job. This can have a HUGE impact on your mental health. I'm sorry you're going through this.
And btw, those are both great degrees and the job market is huge for both. I'm baffled that parents think they are God sometimes lol.

However, I would consider this question: do you want to escape life? Or do you want to escape your situation?
Yes!! They always bring up how much money theyve spent on us, etc. They even blamed my girlfriend. The reality is, I hope they see that I am not young anymore and am free to make my own decisions.
Feels like it really doesn't , it's the staying oblivious that makes it worse and easy for them to intrude and steer your life. Leaving you stranded at a crossroad with no map.
And like everyone said OP, the professions you're mentioning are one of the best career paths these days, wonder why they wouldn't let you pursue them.
To them, these professions are "SATURATED"

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Xdyzine
Deleted member 94

Deleted member 94

Wizard
Mar 24, 2018
It would be easier once you move out then change career, don't ctb just because of this. Just have a plan in place that once you're no longer living with them and their rules then you can do whatever you want. I worked in job my dad wanted but now he has no influence since I don't live under the same roof as him. That job ironically provided me with independence to get away from him.

X

Xiaomi

Gone.
Aug 8, 2020
It would be easier once you move out then change career, don't ctb just because of this. Just have a plan in place that once you're no longer living with them and their rules then you can do whatever you want. I worked in job my dad wanted but now he has no influence since I don't live under the same roof as him. That job ironically provided me with independence to get away from him.
Easier said than done man. I don't want to wait 10 more years

Deleted member 94

Deleted member 94

Wizard
Mar 24, 2018
Easier said than done man. I don't want to wait 10 more years
Most parents want jobs for kids that are high earning, in this country computer science is highly regarded because it can get you into so many fields so I don't understand why your parents think it's saturated. There's game development, app development, cloud computing, programming, debugging, etc career choices are huge as well as income. Perhaps your parents are I'll informed.

• Hugs
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I have always wanted to be a computer programmer or a businessman but parents say degrees like that don't have any worth.
Your parents are completely wrong on this, unless the school you're going to happens to have very poor quality for their programs in those fields. You can absolutely have a perfectly decent career out of programming or business if that's what you want to do.

If you had said something like the arts or social studies classes then maybe they'd at least be somewhat right. I'm saying this as someone whose dad urged me to not do anything that wasn't a STEM or Law degree when I really wanted to do animation initially. Even so, you should still do what makes you happy either way. Hopefully you can convince them how wrong they are.

• Hugs
Reactions: Xiaomi and Deleted member 94