Amaree

Amaree

Jun 15, 2021
Despite constant issues i finally have a viable setup but im not 100% sure if it will hold

Its a standing pull up bar with a max reccomended load of 300lbs , i dont weight even close to that but factoring in the 1ft drop and that the rope is tied to the middle of the bar and my body maybe convulsing after i pass out.

Will it hold my weight?

I really cant risk it failing and being found

kyhoti

kyhoti

Looking for fair winds and following seas
May 27, 2024
Any time I need something to bear my weight, I test it out if I can. In this case, I'd check it like a rock climbing anchor or a tire swing anchor. Holding onto the bar, I would simulate any drop and wriggling by holding on with my hands. A little velocity from standing on top of a box and dropping off would be enough for my testing purposes. I could even kick my legs tantrum-style for an extra stabilty check. If the anchor point falls, it's just an exercising fuck-up.

• Hugs
Reactions: Hotsackage and Amaree
Amaree

Amaree

Jun 15, 2021
Any time I need something to bear my weight, I test it out if I can. In this case, I'd check it like a rock climbing anchor or a tire swing anchor. Holding onto the bar, I would simulate any drop and wriggling by holding on with my hands. A little velocity from standing on top of a box and dropping off would be enough for my testing purposes. I could even kick my legs tantrum-style for an extra stabilty check. If the anchor point falls, it's just an exercising fuck-up.
I tried simulating a drop and it seemed to hold up ok , i guess my concern comes from not knowing how much my body will react/move after i pass out and for how long

i may be overthinking things

Evelyn Lane

Evelyn Lane

banned
Aug 2, 2024
I tried simulating a drop and it seemed to hold up ok , i guess my concern comes from not knowing how much my body will react/move after i pass out and for how long

i may be overthinking things
If you don't feel confident, don't risk it. I have personally heard of two people who tried to hang themselves from a pull up bar and it fell down. I mean, if you screwed it in place you got nothing to fear, otherwise you might have to look for another anchor point.

Reactions: Amaree
Amaree

Amaree

Jun 15, 2021
If you don't feel confident, don't risk it. I have personally heard of two people who tried to hang themselves from a pull up bar and it fell down. I mean, if you screwed it in place you got nothing to fear, otherwise you might have to look for another anchor point.
Thanks for the advice, i did at somepoint have a door frame pull up but i replaced it with a
5 770500413 Standing version thats pretty stable, my worry is the bar either breaking where the rope is attached or it breaking from either side
where the bar is welded and bolted

Last edited:
Evelyn Lane

Evelyn Lane

banned
Aug 2, 2024
Thanks for the advice, i did at somepoint have a door frame pull up but i replaced it with a
View attachment 147236Standing version thats pretty stable, my worry is the bar either breaking where the rope is attached or it breaking from either side
where the bar is welded and bolted
The bar does look flimsy, so your worries are not unfounded. I mean, it could be too flimsy for full suspension hanging. Yeah, I don't know. It's up to you. Remember that there are plenty of anchor points outside your house too. If you get one shot at this do you really want to risk?

opheliaoveragain

opheliaoveragain

Eating Disordered Junkie
Jun 2, 2024
It the bar is bolted and welded on the sides vs just screwed in or placed in, it should hold. Test with broom handle in the knot for your head on your anchor point and put your full weight on it to test, if it holds for upwards of 10 seconds (this is from another post on here, potentially the protocol threads) you're good to go. Please consider the ramifications it could have on other people if you do it outside. If you are inside you can at least put up a note on your door etc.

Reactions: dolemitedrums and Amaree
Amaree

Amaree

Jun 15, 2021
It the bar is bolted and welded on the sides vs just screwed in or placed in, it should hold. Test with broom handle in the knot for your head on your anchor point and put your full weight on it to test, if it holds for upwards of 10 seconds (this is from another post on here, potentially the protocol threads) you're good to go. Please consider the ramifications it could have on other people if you do it outside. If you are inside you can at least put up a note on your door etc.
Thats one of a few reasons i cant bring myself to attempt outside.

the bar is welded to two steel plates that then get attached to the rest with 4 , 8.8 grade bolts

Reactions: GuessWhosBack
opheliaoveragain

opheliaoveragain

Eating Disordered Junkie
Jun 2, 2024
Thats one of a few reasons i cant bring myself to attempt outside.

the bar is welded to two steel plates that then get attached to the rest with 4 , 8.8 grade bolts
Try the broom handle thing I suggested to test. Don't leave it to the day you may be planning on. Good to know ahead of time in case you need to make any adjustments. What you described above sounds pretty stable to me and since it's meant for pull ups, I imagine you checked the bars weight limit before purchase. Should be solid.

Amaree

Amaree

Jun 15, 2021
Try the broom handle thing I suggested to test. Don't leave it to the day you may be planning on. Good to know ahead of time in case you need to make any adjustments. What you described above sounds pretty stable to me and since it's meant for pull ups, I imagine you checked the bars weight limit before purchase. Should be solid.

I'll try it out and update , the max recommended weight is 330 lbs and i'm way below that

opheliaoveragain

opheliaoveragain

Eating Disordered Junkie
Jun 2, 2024
I'll try it out and update , the max recommended weight is 330 lbs and i'm way below that
Oh you should def be good to go then! A partner of mine has a similar free standing set up for exercise and they can generally hold a lot of weight and are meant for movement so possible thrashing shouldn't be an issue either, wishing you the best. I'll look out for your update! If you wanna chat any, PMs are open

• Love