Ffaxanadu

Ffaxanadu

Aug 14, 2024
Searching on google I found a huge number of newspaper articles about deaths caused by electrocution with suspended high voltage cables.

The most classic case concerns accidents at work, but the second most frequent one involves fishing rods.

It seems quite common for fishermen to accidentally touch the high voltage cables with their fishing rods (in fact, I imagine that touching them is the wet fishing wire).

The carbon fiber fishing rods, then, seem to be the best for electric transmission.

It seems to me a reasonably safe and simple way to commit suicide, if you can touch one of those high-height suspended wires.

Furthermore, unlike the subway power track method, it can be implemented in the countryside, where there are no other people who could be traumatized.

A

ausiegal

Aug 12, 2024
I've had similar thoughts when looking up at the power lines & whether there's a way to ctb via electrocution.
Maybe someone on here works with them or will have an answer…

Reactions: juna
Ffaxanadu

Ffaxanadu

Aug 14, 2024
I've had similar thoughts when looking up at the power lines & whether there's a way to ctb via electrocution.
Maybe someone on here works with them or will have an answer…

It seems that Chester has knowledge of the matter:

[...] In some systems, the overhead lines are AC with the voltage from 15,000V up to even 25,000V. [...]

Of course there are people who were killed by a wall outlet and there are people who survived a lightning strike. Nothing is 100% certain here, but at least we can estimate probability of success if we know the details.

You can read the full post here.

Reactions: ausiegal