gamayoom

gamayoom

Jan 16, 2024
Hello. It's my first post here and I am extremely relieved a place like this exists.

I have a question: is it possible to OD with over the counter medicine that doesn't kill you? I really am tired of crying for help and I want people around me to see I am not kidding when I say I want to CTB. This would be my last try at getting recovery since I am young and I still hold on to plans I have with people I love. If that doesn't work, I assume nothing will. Thanks in advance.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: hannila_m, doormat25 and SVEN
D

DeadHead

Belief is the enemy of knowledge
Aug 20, 2023
No is the short answer.
Sorry, misread your post. Its a really bad idea.
Sorry, misread your post. Its a really bad idea.

Reactions: hikikomorizombie
Upvote 0
MeaningDork

MeaningDork

If there's a will, there's a way.
Jan 14, 2024
Hello. It's my first post here and I am extremely relieved a place like this exists.

I have a question: is it possible to OD with over the counter medicine that doesn't kill you?
Do you mean things like painkillers? If so, it is possible but very unlikely and very painful. Though I did OD on two bottles of Tylenol (A horrible experience that has made me incapable of swallowing pills due to my brain's reflex to spit out anything that's pill like) and the doctor said it's a miracle I'm still here.

Upvote 0
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
What do you actually expect from that attempt? I mean are they your parents rejecting meds / therapy for you or sth like that? Do you really have no other way to express what kind of recovery you need? With such an attempt you most likely only harm yourself.

Reactions: wtfislife
Upvote 0
R

rozeske

Maybe I am the problem
Dec 2, 2023
ODing with otc meds will be very painful plus you could endup with long term effects like liver and kidney damage. More importantly it could permanently be impossible for your body to take any pill.

I am sorry you are going through this. I do relate to your pain as i myself come from a society where suicide discussion is tabu and awareness on mental health and its treatment is practically zero. But I would suggest trying to just openly discuss your issues and your desire for recovery with your loved ones.

• Love
Reactions: hannila_m, touhoufan, gamayoom and 1 other person
Upvote 0
february in alaska

february in alaska

wandering aimlessly
Sep 13, 2023
The fact that you intentionally are not trying to CTB with this attempt is a really good sign that you're not ready, and the fact that you're still considering one last shot at recovery. Like others have said, I really implore you to take that shot and reach out to the people you're trying to convince.

Overdosing on drugs has a low chance of killing you, but it can cause extreme damage. I know people who have gone blind or live with chronic issues for the rest of their lives. Whether you ultimately decide to live or CTB, don't put yourself through that unnecessarily

Reactions: rozeske
Upvote 0
gamayoom

gamayoom

Jan 16, 2024
Do you mean things like painkillers? If so, it is possible but very unlikely and very painful. Though I did OD on two bottles of Tylenol (A horrible experience that has made me incapable of swallowing pills due to my brain's reflex to spit out anything that's pill like) and the doctor said it's a miracle I'm still here.
Hey, thanks for answering. I hope you're doing better.

My biggest fear when it comes to CTB is not dying and having sequels that could leave me unfunctional and be even more of a burden to everyone. I was hoping that somehow I could do something that just makes me sick for a few days, I guess it's impossible at least with drugs.

Thanks again for your time.
ODing with otc meds will be very painful plus you could endup with long term effects like liver and kidney damage. More importantly it could permanently be impossible for your body to take any pill.

I am sorry you are going through this. I do relate to your pain as i myself come from a society where suicide discussion is tabu and awareness on mental health and its treatment is practically zero. But I would suggest trying to just openly discuss your issues and your desire for recovery with your loved ones.
Hey, thanks for your answer.

I've been suffering with depression and anxiety symptoms since I was about 5 or 6. My mom flat out ignored all my problematic behaviors until it was too late and I was self harming and considering CTB for real. Took me to see a psychiatrist who said she wouldn't diagnose me because "I was a teen and it hasn't happened for long enough for it to be diagnosed." Can't say I am satisfied with the health service of my country, every doctor I've been just prescribed me whatever the hell they wanted, honestly. Anyway, I hope that you feel better, we need to have places like this to know other people who think like us and have similar experiences, I am shocked to see how people reacted to this. I was hoping someone would suggest I just hanged myself already, but no. I am really happy I could find you and others who replied, and I thank you once again.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Forever Sleep and rozeske
Upvote 0
R

rozeske

Maybe I am the problem
Dec 2, 2023
Hey, thanks for your answer.

I've been suffering with depression and anxiety symptoms since I was about 5 or 6. My mom flat out ignored all my problematic behaviors until it was too late and I was self harming and considering CTB for real. Took me to see a psychiatrist who said she wouldn't diagnose me because "I was a teen and it hasn't happened for long enough for it to be diagnosed." Can't say I am satisfied with the health service of my country, every doctor I've been just prescribed me whatever the hell they wanted, honestly. Anyway, I hope that you feel better, we need to have places like this to know other people who think like us and have similar experiences, I am shocked to see how people reacted to this. I was hoping someone would suggest I just hanged myself already, but no. I am really happy I could find you and others who replied, and I thank you once again.
Am sorry for the pain you are in. It's not easy living at a place where you won't get the help you want and need. I wish you the best for your future plans whatever they are. Until then make your self comfortable around here. Plenty of cool understanding people. Make sure to check out the recovery section on here as well. Very useful materials on there that am sure you would find helpful.

• Hugs
Reactions: gamayoom
Upvote 0
gamayoom

gamayoom

Jan 16, 2024
What do you actually expect from that attempt? I mean are they your parents rejecting meds / therapy for you or sth like that? Do you really have no other way to express what kind of recovery you need? With such an attempt you most likely only harm yourself.

Hello, thanks for your answer.

Honestly this made me feel really petty, because I could tell someone, I don't know, a doctor or a facility, that I am not fine and am considering self harm and suicide. However I feel like wouldn't be heard or dismissed, as I been in the past. I've taken some different medications and the last one I sticked to was making me feel better, but it feels so bad to depend on pills to just barely want to live. I feel like I was fooling myself by taking meds. I guess it's another layer of "don't wants", and I see now overdosing wouldn't solve the problem, if not create more. I will consider other forms of bringing attention... again.

Thanks again.

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori
Upvote 0
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Have you told your parents and doctors flat out that you want to kill yourself? It seems so cruel if they are ignoring that. But like others have said- I really would try and dissuade you from an overdose. You have no clue as to how much you'll damage your body and, you don't deserve to suffer more.

I guess, if I was that utterly desperate, I'd try and look suspicious on a bridge or something. Not to actually put myself or others at risk- not climbing over barriers or anything but- I would have thought hanging around, pacing back and forth, looking distraught will look suspicious. Some suicide spots have people patrolling. Bear in mind though- that could very likely see you sent to a psyche ward. Even ringing a hotline and telling them you have a plan to kill yourself can see that happening. It depends on what you feel you need I guess. It's just so sad you're even having to consider resorting to this though. I'm sorry.

• Hugs
Reactions: gamayoom and Praestat_Mori
Upvote 0
gamayoom

gamayoom

Jan 16, 2024
Have you told your parents and doctors flat out that you want to kill yourself? It seems so cruel if they are ignoring that. But like others have said- I really would try and dissuade you from an overdose. You have no clue as to how much you'll damage your body and, you don't deserve to suffer more.

I guess, if I was that utterly desperate, I'd try and look suspicious on a bridge or something. Not to actually put myself or others at risk- not climbing over barriers or anything but- I would have thought hanging around, pacing back and forth, looking distraught will look suspicious. Some suicide spots have people patrolling. Bear in mind though- that could very likely see you sent to a psyche ward. Even ringing a hotline and telling them you have a plan to kill yourself can see that happening. It depends on what you feel you need I guess. It's just so sad you're even having to consider resorting to this though. I'm sorry.
Hello! Thanks for you answer.

Yes, I've seen about 3 different psychiatrists since I was 12 and all of them had no interest in treating my symptoms related to self harm and suicide, and my mother was present at all times, she knows everything. Thing is, even though I don't live with her anymore, many aspects of my health were affected by her negligence.

Those other suggestions are great, I appreciate it. I've come to my senses now and abandoned the OD idea. If I ever need to go to these measures to get help, I'll consider the bridge or the hotline.

And it's okay, all the comments I got here were extremely helpful and I'm infinitely grateful for them!

Best of wishes.

• Hugs
Reactions: Forever Sleep
Upvote 0
crestangel

crestangel

i hope they can forgive me
Jan 17, 2024
It's not really reliable, I've tried before, you just end up throw up a lot..

Upvote 0