• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

BruhXDDDDD

BruhXDDDDD

Student
Feb 18, 2022
It seems like a lot of media benefits from getting people's attention by making them outraged. Whenever I look at social media, the news, or YouTube, I can hardly escape it. Even the people I'm surrounded by seem affected by constant outrage, and it often makes me feel like I want to kill myself to escape it. What do you guys think about this topic? I have a bit more to say, but I want to see if I can get a thread rolling first.

U

user_name_here

N/A
May 16, 2021
The reporting on culture wars really pisses me off. And it's usually by right wing media outlets.

In the UK the cost of living has skyrocketed but the pricks who caused this (the conservatives) are trying so hard to divert people's attention by stoking the flames even more and keeping people divided while our gas and electric prices are over double from a few months back

Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
It seems related to the phenomenon of Yellow Journalism, which is a term dating from the 1890s. Perhaps the only difference is the increased brainwashing power of a device carried 24/7, plus the peer pressure effect of Facebook 'friends' and their 'sharing' BS that makes it seem more respectable.

Quote:
Frank Luther Mott identifies yellow journalism based on five characteristics:[6]
  1. scare headlines in huge print, often of minor news
  2. lavish use of pictures, or imaginary drawings
  3. use of faked interviews, misleading headlines, pseudoscience, and a parade of false learning from so-called experts
  4. emphasis on full-color Sunday supplements, usually with comic strips
  5. dramatic sympathy with the "underdog" against the system.