• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

halleyscomet

halleyscomet

halley
Mar 26, 2024
what the title says, what do we think about that community? do we think it has a place on the internet?

maidens

maidens

" living like this forever is just fine! "
Aug 27, 2023
I am on edtwt, but with very few followers and I don't engage with people often, I'm not fatphobic and mostly mind my own business while on there. I think both communities are very toxic, people definitely deserve a space to talk or vent about things like that and there are genuinely nice people on there, but the amount of disgusting people kind of drown all of them out.

Reactions: halleyscomet
A

Anon1337

Arcanist
Oct 1, 2018
Minors harming themselves. The deeper the wound the more likes it will get. It's toxic.

Last edited by a moderator:
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

The drip finally stops
Oct 21, 2023
Both communties are toxic. I think people with EDs and who SH deserve a place where they can freely talk about their problems but at the same time both of those spaces must be throughly moderated due to the competitive nature of both conditions. I think part of why shtwt and edtwt have such a bad rep, even amongst other online self-harm and eating disorder communities, is partly due to toxicity and competitiveness within those communities.

It also doesn't help that I've heard a few cases of people feeling as though their self-harm wasn't valid since it wasn't as extreme as what they saw within the shtwt community. I'd imagine that it's the same for those with eating disorders. The romanticization of those issues also doesn't sit right with me either. I think both of those communities have the potnetial to do more harm than good. There are probably much better online SH and ED communities out there.

sserafim

sserafim

the darker the night, the brighter the stars
Sep 13, 2023
Personally, I don't know why people are into those kinds of things. They never appealed to me

C

Camper

Sep 27, 2022
I used to be engaged with the SH community of Tumblr. It was actively detrimental to my physical and mental health. I got "inspiration" from the pictures posted. I now have decade old SH scars that I'm desperate to get rid of, so that I no longer have to explain them to sexual partners.

3/4Dead

3/4Dead

This Body Needs An Overhaul
Feb 27, 2024
I did not walk to this thread I JUMPED, LEPT, RAN holy shit this is my calling I've been waiting to talk about this, thank you op for giving me my moment.

I have participated in a hefty amount of self harm communites over the years, particularly because IRL nobody wants to hear me talk about my developed knowledge about cutting myself. It's simply not needed in the real world, and usually just serves to make other people uncomfortable. As EvisceratedJester said, it is so important that people who self harm (and who have eating disorders, as we're also talking about edtwt) have spaces where they can speak freely about self harm, much like SaSu has been for us. Having a hypermoderated and overcensored space to work with (like most social media) is not helpful when you can hardly say "I cut myself" without being suspended from the website. There, of course, exists a middle ground where you can make sure it's not an over-censored mess without it becoming the incredibly dangerous pissing contest that shtwt is.
As Anon1337 said, shtwt/edtwt is mostly minors competing with other minors, it's so fucking dangerous, full stop. But it is the safest place a lot of these people have been able to find. I lurk a lot in a couple SH subreddits and I totally hate it in there becaus It's pretty much the same 10 posts (except for vents) since nobody can really talk about what they're experiencing without risking their entire account. It is (reasonably) not allowed for you to talk about your competitive urges in full, and not having a place to vent does not make the problem go away, it just lets it fester (as im sure many of us on here know).

Having a place where people like FuneralCry and passively suicide people can co-exist and equally unload about their views is so necessary, and self-harm and eating disorder communites just do not have that (to my knowledge).

and how the fallout really looks, no bullshit, has been sobering for me. Eating disorders and self harm are competitive in nature, and I think that at this point getting rid of shtwt and edtwt, despite their horribleness, would cause some of the worst meltdowns for so many people, because they would lose their communities. The only way to resolve it is to either gradually moderate sh/edtwt (not gonna happen) until it is a safer community or build one from the ground up.

aaaaanyway. i think some of the people on SaSu have weird opinions on self harm - crazy to see "please dont cut yourself that so baaadd" comments in threads is so hilariously ironic in a forum about literal suicide and personal choice.

doomer843

doomer843

Going down the happiness spiral šŸ„°
Mar 25, 2024
what the title says, what do we think about that community? do we think it has a place on the internet?
Pro-ed communities are mostly just overly toxic 13 year old or younger girls, not much of a moral opinion because its literally children but I hope they regret it when they get older.
Pro-sh communities are also overly toxic (and also filled with mostly children) but to a lesser degree. Pretty much the same stance as pro-ed but I feel like its less harmful.

Either way nobody should be in them imo because they are NOT a safe space to find support and they're filled with groomers.

3/4Dead

3/4Dead

This Body Needs An Overhaul
Feb 27, 2024
Either way nobody should be in them imo because they are NOT a safe space to find support and they're filled with groomers.
I forgot to mention this in my last post in this thread but yes this so much this. Since these communities are mostly kids they are running rampant with groomers

doomer843

doomer843

Going down the happiness spiral šŸ„°
Mar 25, 2024
I forgot to mention this in my last post in this thread but yes this so much this. Since these communities are mostly kids they are running rampant with groomers
i got groomed on there multiple times šŸ™ƒ sometimes i wonder if there's still somebody out there getting off to me

bettertosleep

bettertosleep

May 3, 2023
i used to be on it in 2020-2023, its nice to have a community that understands my problems (like this site) but i dont like how its filled with minors encouraging each other to starve or to cut deeper, i've seen kids as young as 9 on there and it makes me so sad. and since its mainly minors that also means there are tons of groomers and pedos which makes it even more unsafe

LunarCharm

LunarCharm

Iā€™m ready to go
Jul 2, 2023
At the peak of my eating disorder I was in a discord server full of other disordered people practically encouraging each other, most of them were on edtwt but I don't use twt.
I remember they were really nice to me and would idolize how thin I was, they called me thinspo.
it really made it harder to recover from the disorder.