• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

PaChOnCiTo

PaChOnCiTo

Jul 13, 2022
I'll gladly answer any questions related to this method, especially ones about its logistics (since I didn't discuss that in the file attached). Also, if you see any mistakes, please let me know. I plan on doing this myself soon, though, so I'm sorry if you don't get a reply.

Attachments

• On the Charcoal-Burning Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Suicide Method.pdf
    164.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Informative
Reactions: Kokomi_20, Alcoholic Teletubby, Endex and 3 others
S

Shu8

Nov 23, 2022
I can't understand your attachment, but can you suggest how many kg of charcoal should i get for 45 cubic meter room?

Last edited:
Reactions: stermc
PaChOnCiTo

PaChOnCiTo

Jul 13, 2022
I can't understand your attachment, but can you suggest how many kg of charcoal should i get for 45 cubic meter room?
Assuming SATP (Standard Ambient Temperature and Pressure), a volume of 45 m^3, a target concentration of 10 000 ppm and a charcoal "purity" of 90% (composition of charcoal is 90% pure carbon), the calculations yield ~6 kg of charcoal.

• Informative
Reactions: Shu8
L

lionetta12

Just a random person
Aug 5, 2022
I'll gladly answer any questions related to this method, especially ones about its logistics (since I didn't discuss that in the file attached). Also, if you see any mistakes, please let me know. I plan on doing this myself soon, though, so I'm sorry if you don't get a reply.
I see why I almost failed math and abandoned CO as my method.

• Hugs
Reactions: coked_pigeon, Meretricious, henry22 and 4 others
PaChOnCiTo

PaChOnCiTo

Jul 13, 2022
I see why I almost failed math and abandoned CO as my method.
I know it can be a bit intimidating at first but it's nothing otherworldly really. If the calculations are what's stopping you from going with this method, I could help you.

Reactions: misthios2040, Endex and lionetta12
PaChOnCiTo

PaChOnCiTo

Jul 13, 2022
I don't know how to edit the first message of the thread so I'll just post this one. I figured I would make the whole thing easier to understand for the layperson (I'm no scientist myself) by putting the calculations in very simple terms. Here it is:

X1 = volume (m^3) x 1.129 910 670
X2 = X1 x 0.01
X3 = X2 x 0.428 796 858
X4 = X3 x 1.111 111 111
X5 = X4 x 25.215 270 353

This result, X5 (kg of charcoal), will assume SATP (Standard Ambient Temperature and Pressure), a target concentration of 10 000 ppm and a charcoal "purity" of 90% (composition of charcoal is 90% pure carbon). I removed the units for added simplicity. I hope this is doable.

An even easier way to get X5, still with the restrictions mentioned above, is to do the following:

X5 = volume (m^3) x 0.135 742 806

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Wow
Reactions: Kokomi_20, misthios2040, Endex and 4 others
PaChOnCiTo

PaChOnCiTo

Jul 13, 2022
For everyone, this might help, chemical engineer by trade here. I understand the chemistry here. First I used a waterproof tape to cover all vents in a newer model quad cab pick truck. Newer vehicles are better because their water seals on all doors are new and better. I did some measurements and came up with 7.2 m cubed for the volume. I put the back seat up to create a large flat floor in the back seat area. Using three cinder blocks I created a platform.
I lit and burned 3 kg of charcoal to use in two buckets evenly divided. I purchased a 707 CO meter from WW Grainger ( 400$ ) that goes to 10,000 ppm.
I placed the coals in two buckets in a large metal pan with 2" of water after they were gray, and measured the results.
The temperature outdoors was cold, 38 degrees F, or 3 degrees C. The internal temperature of the vehicle rose to 58 degrees F, or 14 degrees C.
After 25 minutes the meter reached 8800 ppm, after 40 minutes the ppm reached 9700 ppm, at 60 minutes it fell to 8200 ppm, at 75 minutes it fell to 7400 ppm.
For 50 minutes, it maintained an extremely lethal dose of CO. At those levels, for that time duration, anyone would have certainly perished. I opened all the doors of the vehicle, and in 10 minutes the CO level fell below 50 ppm. I started the vehicle to clear all gases out with fan on high while the doors were open. Removed the tape, buckets, and cinder blocks.
Do not overthink this method. It is that straightforward. Follow the steps.
I edited the file attached to include this experiment. The results indicate it might be best to avoid using buckets for the charcoal. To elaborate, Experiment 3, despite being ~3 m^3 smaller than Experiment 2 and using 3x the amount of charcoal, couldn't produce anywhere near 3x the concentration of Experiment 2. This could mean at least one of two things: using buckets for the charcoal produces less carbon monoxide than using something like a barbecue grill (a hibachi BBQ was used in Experiment 2); or the car wasn't properly sealed. I lean towards the first option.

Keep in mind, I assumed the same charcoal "purity", 90%, for all experiments. The discrepancy in the results could also be explained by a charcoal of very low "purity" in Experiment 3 (~30% charcoal "purity" would make the results coincide with those of Experiments 1 and 2, but this scenario doesn't seem very likely).

Attachments

173.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: SadShroomie
PaChOnCiTo

PaChOnCiTo

Jul 13, 2022
Since every person's situation is different, a one-size-fits-all guide on this method's logistics can't be made. It remains the same method for everyone, however, so some generalizations can be made. There are many other threads doing just that, so I won't. Intending clarification, what I will do is describe the particular procedure I'll carry out, which is but one of the many ways the method can look like (I myself have available various alternatives). Here it goes:

After taping all the holes in the bathtub, I'll line it and its sliding door with at least two layers of aluminum foil. Then I'll place concrete blocks on top of the foil to cover the floor of the tub. Then I'll place floor tiles on top of the blocks to make a supporting structure for the charcoal grills so they are steady. I'll also place floor tiles alongside the walls of the tub. There's a window to another room I'll cover with plastic bags on the outside and aluminum foil on the inside. I'll tape the door frame inside and out, as well as all other holes I can find, like the keyhole or the faucet. Finally, when the time is right, I'll place towels under the door. This is how I'll make the bathroom airtight and as fireproof as possible.

Just in case the charcoal smokes, although the one I chose shouldn't (and didn't in the tests I made), I'll fill two chimney starters with charcoal and place them on the stovetop, in the kitchen. This way, if it does smoke, I can just turn the range hood on. I'm still not sure if I'll use the gas burners or if I'll instead opt for chafing fuel. Either way, that is everything I'll use to light the charcoal. No paper, oil, lighter cubes, lighter fluid or anything that produces smoke or impregnates the charcoal with chemicals. Once the charcoal is lit, I'll take the chimneys to the bathroom and pour the charcoal in the grills. Finally, I'll lay down on the bathroom floor and go to sleep. To avoid taking any alcohol or sleeping pills, as I'm scared they could somehow interfere with the method's efficacy, I'll do this after some days of sleep deprivation.

I think that is all. If I failed to mention anything you'd like to know about or if you have any questions, please let me know (but, again, I'll do it soon so I'm sorry if I don't reply).

Last edited:
Reactions: LittleBlackCat
june

june

Experienced
May 25, 2020
Thanks for the read

Reactions: PaChOnCiTo
F

FallFadesIntoWinter

Apr 25, 2022
You'll need the charcoal to burn for a while and they really do produce a LOT of smoke too (before they become ashy)

Would it be possible for you to burn them outside and then bring them indoors (like in a heavy-duty pot)?

Your plan sounds like you've really done a lot of research and careful consideration too. I'm just thinking a lot of smoke will be produced inside and it might set off smoke detectors and/or CO detectors, which might alert someone else.

PaChOnCiTo

PaChOnCiTo

Jul 13, 2022
You'll need the charcoal to burn for a while and they really do produce a LOT of smoke too (before they become ashy)

Would it be possible for you to burn them outside and then bring them indoors (like in a heavy-duty pot)?

Your plan sounds like you've really done a lot of research and careful consideration too. I'm just thinking a lot of smoke will be produced inside and it might set off smoke detectors and/or CO detectors, which might alert someone else.
The charcoal I've chosen is made of compressed sawdust (pretty much like ogatan, but not from Japan). Unlike briquettes, it has no fillers, additives or binders, so it's at least 90% pure carbon (another reason for its "purity", maybe the main one, is the way it's made). It only takes between 15 to 20 minutes to light, which seems average. Because of its "purity", it really doesn't produce any smoke at any point (I've tested this!). And, as I said before, the range hood would get rid of it instantly if it did. More often than not, a lot of the smoke you see when people light charcoal comes from whatever they're lighting the charcoal with. I'll stick with either chafing fuel or gas burners exactly because they're both smokeless. I live on the 10th floor of an apartment building so lighting the charcoal outside isn't viable (neither necessary, considering what I just explained). This is an old building so it has no detectors of any kind (and they are very uncommon, practically nonexistent, where I come from anyway).

I appreciate your concern. I'll be posting pictures of my setup very soon, probably today in the evening.

Last edited:
Reactions: SadShroomie, LittleBlackCat and lionetta12
PaChOnCiTo

PaChOnCiTo

Jul 13, 2022
This is the window. I ended up only covering it from the inside.
5479B39D 2FAF 46F1 90D4 FE634FBBA683

This is the bathtub/shower.
91A2A650 87DC 4024 8DEA AB7E2C18C370

I'll post some more details, like the volume of the bathroom or the amount of charcoal I'll use, later today. I'll CTB Wednesday or Thursday night, probably.

• Wow
  • Hugs
Reactions: Kokomi_20, User00, wait.what and 4 others
S

Shu8

Nov 23, 2022

Hi, what do you think about burning charcoal like above video?

is it feasible to burn 2.5 kg of charcoal?

PaChOnCiTo

PaChOnCiTo

Jul 13, 2022

Hi, what do you think about burning charcoal like above video?

is it feasible to burn 2.5 kg of charcoal?

I think it is fine, as long as the spider strainer is fire-resistant. Remember that if you're doing this inside, it's best to have a range hood and very high "purity" (smokeless) charcoal. Otherwise, do it outside (using something like a portable gas stove). The amount of charcoal you can light at once using this method depends on the size of the strainer. This lighting method might not be ideal if the size of the room you're working with requires you to light a lot of charcoal, since you'll probably need to light multiple batches (although you could light them all at once, depending on what you have available).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Shu8
PaChOnCiTo

PaChOnCiTo

Jul 13, 2022
In the end, I did cover the window from the outside.
9C3912A3 6EEC 4007 9238 3576D768E34B

This is the door frame.
546B7B6C F9D6 4357 9DFE 30384224CB01
D3562BF7 692E 4C96 8C09 CE860FB5E0E1

These are the sink, faucet, and keyhole.
FE9DB4F6 20DD 4FA8 A9D1 14AA590D0738
41FB87E3 E81B 4B6F 8B92 719729413205

Assuming a pressure of 100 000 Pa, a volume of 8 m^3, a temperature of 285.65 K (12.5 °C; 54.5 °F), a target concentration of 12 800 ppm, and a charcoal "purity" of 90%, the calculations yield ~2 kg of charcoal. I think I'll use a little more, if the size of the chimneys allows it.

• Hugs
  • Informative
  • Wow
Reactions: User00, LittleBlackCat, lionetta12 and 1 other person
L

lionetta12

Just a random person
Aug 5, 2022
In the end, I did cover the window from the outside.
View attachment 103338

This is the door frame.
View attachment 103339
View attachment 103340

These are the sink, faucet, and keyhole.
View attachment 103341
View attachment 103342

Assuming a pressure of 100 000 Pa, a volume of 8 m^3, a temperature of 285.65 K (12.5 °C; 54.5 °F), a target concentration of 12 800 ppm, and a charcoal "purity" of 90%, the calculations yield ~2 kg of charcoal. I think I'll use a little more, if the size of the chimneys allows it.
Very fascinating and informative thread, thank you for sharing all of this with us. Maybe I'll end up doing both CO and SN at the same time.

wait.what

wait.what

no really, what?
Aug 14, 2020
Dang friend, you duct taped over the keyhole? That's some thoroughness.

For those of us who live in parts of the world where carbon monoxide alarms are common in multi-family housing, what do you think of the option of bringing a charcoal burner into a tent? I've seen people suggest a "camping trip" of this nature, but as far as I know success is hypothetical. Would it be possible to prevent airflow through man-made fabric walls?

Reactions: LittleBlackCat and lionetta12
S

silence ends

Student
Jan 10, 2023
Tried burning charcoals in tent few years ago. Passed out but woke up later with massive headache

• Hugs
Reactions: lionetta12
L

lionetta12

Just a random person
Aug 5, 2022

For those of us who live in parts of the world where carbon monoxide alarms are common in multi-family housing, what do you think of the option of bringing a charcoal burner into a tent? I've seen people suggest a "camping trip" of this nature, but as far as I know success is hypothetical. Would it be possible to prevent airflow through man-made fabric walls?
Yeah, this what my ideal way out was half a year ago. Would like to know his opinion about it as well.

PaChOnCiTo

PaChOnCiTo

Jul 13, 2022
Very fascinating and informative thread, thank you for sharing all of this with us. Maybe I'll end up doing both CO and SN at the same time.
Thank you all for reading!

I found a mistake in the file. It read "273 K" instead of "273.15 K" for STP. This is now corrected. I've also added my personal calculations. Unless I find more mistakes, this will be the final version.

I'll keep you all updated. Until next time.

It is not a bad option. If I were to do this method in a tent, I'd be very careful about fireproofing everything. I'd be more concerned about that than about possible leaks (given I'm already using a tent suited for this method). I imagine the tent could be covered with something like a blanket on the outside to prevent airflow, and with aluminum foil on the inside to prevent a fire. I myself followed this advice when making my bathroom airtight: if light can't get in, carbon monoxide/air can't get out/in.

It turns out it is possible: https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/jul/06/barbecue-death-camping
Another one: https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/may/06/girl-camper-dies-barbecue-carbon-monoxide
Yeah, this what my ideal way out was half a year ago. Would like to know his opinion about it as well.
Many variations of this method are viable. One of the reasons I started this thread was to correct the calculations from the MJA paper on the amount of charcoal needed to produce a lethal concentration of carbon monoxide. That, amongst some other equally important things I've discussed, is what causes attempts to fail.

(I don't know why it keeps stacking the replies. I'll just leave it this way).
Tried burning charcoals in tent few years ago. Passed out but woke up later with massive headache
Could you please elaborate? I'd like to know the details.

Attachments

177.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Kokomi_20, dissolve, LittleBlackCat and 1 other person
LittleBlackCat

LittleBlackCat

Experienced
Feb 6, 2020
I wish you luck. 💗

LittleBlackCat

LittleBlackCat

Experienced
Feb 6, 2020
Also, are you considering using a CO detector?

PaChOnCiTo

PaChOnCiTo

Jul 13, 2022
Also, are you considering using a CO detector?
I would if I could, but detectors that read up to 10 000 ppm are very expensive. Plus, with the calculations I performed, it really isn't necessary.
I tried the charcoal method 2 months ago and it obviously failed. I followed directions, waited coals were glowing brought it into a small bathroom with no windows, taped up the AC vent towels under door. Took some Xanax drank a bottle of wine and woke up 12 hours feeling hungover but fine.

I ordered SN and am thinking about combining that with charcoal method.

any thoughts? I have to leave this world
I've noticed that a lot of failed attempts involve alcohol or sleeping pills. I don't know how these things interact with the body, specifically with the blood, but I wouldn't want any substance inside me but carbon monoxide. I wouldn't dare to take even something like aspirin. I'll stick with being sleep deprived.

And I've also noticed that a lot of failed attempts involve letting the concentration of carbon monoxide build up in the room before entering it. This could let out a great deal of the CO. Experiment 2 shows this very clearly: one minute after opening one door to turn the AC on, ~3 000 ppm had already been lost.

And, of course, the other main reasons are the amount of charcoal and the airtightness of the room. I think using MJA calculations can be blamed for the former, and I would give the benefit of the doubt to the latter.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: lionetta12
PaChOnCiTo

PaChOnCiTo

Jul 13, 2022
This will hopefully be my last post. I'll start the attempt in a few hours. Goodbye.

• Hugs
Reactions: Kokomi_20, Zykg85, LittleBlackCat and 1 other person
Miss Anthropy

Miss Anthropy

....and the sky turned black
Dec 28, 2022
I wish you a peaceful journey! 🖤 Thank you for this information!

PaChOnCiTo

PaChOnCiTo

Jul 13, 2022
I'm alive and feeling fine, just frustrated. I wouldn't call it a failed attempt because I didn't even get that far. When testing, I failed to consider or even notice the very pungent smell (not smoke) the charcoal gives off when being lit. This "detail" renders the method unfeasible for me since I wanted to go undetected. If you have chosen this method, don't let my experience bring you down. The method is still perfectly fine under a different set of personal requirements. This isn't my first CTB attempt and it surely won't be my last. I'll just have to come up with something else. Thank you all for your support and attention.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: Kokomi_20, myusername, Zykg85 and 3 others
Cat-soul

Cat-soul

Dec 14, 2022
Solo planeo encender madera y dejar que el carbón permanezca después de que la madera se queme. Y me voy a meter en un pequeño espacio y dejar las brasas encendidas allí.

LittleBlackCat

LittleBlackCat

Experienced
Feb 6, 2020
This will hopefully be my last post. I'll start the attempt in a few hours. Goodbye.
Good luck 💗
I'm alive and feeling fine, just frustrated. I wouldn't call it a failed attempt because I didn't even get that far. When testing, I failed to consider or even notice the very pungent smell (not smoke) the charcoal gives off when being lit. This "detail" renders the method unfeasible for me since I wanted to go undetected. If you have chosen this method, don't let my experience bring you down. The method is still perfectly fine under a different set of personal requirements. This isn't my first CTB attempt and it surely won't be my last. I'll just have to come up with something else. Thank you all for your support and attention.
Welcome back 😅 sorry it didn't work.

PaChOnCiTo

PaChOnCiTo

Jul 13, 2022
Solo planeo encender madera y dejar que el carbón permanezca después de que la madera se queme. Y me voy a meter en un pequeño espacio y dejar las brasas encendidas allí.
From Google Translate:
I only plan on lighting wood and letting the charcoal linger after the wood burns. And I'm going to get into a little space and leave the coals burning there.

This is the way common charcoal is made, but they do it in an oxygen-depleted environment so the wood doesn't burn but char. And it takes a long time (days) to fully carbonize. Also, determining the "purity" of the charcoal you're left with would be practically impossible. And, if you care about reaching a target concentration in the room you'll be using, you'd have to know how much charcoal will be left from the piece of wood you'll start with. Personally, I wouldn't do this, but if you've done it before or have researched enough to know what you're talking about, then go ahead.