• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Mage
Oct 23, 2018
(This got longer than I intended and became a bit bitter at points but maybe someone will find it interesting.)

There seems to be an interest in what it is like inside a psychiatric unit. So I thought I would write up some of my own experiences. I am neither for or against psychiatric hospitalisation. It serves some and damages others. So take from it what you will.

I can only really comment from a UK perspective within a localised area. I have been an inpatient seven times over the span of my life, both voluntarily and involuntarily. Either due to mania that becomes full-blown psychosis or depression that had me laying in my own piss starving to death. My longest stay lasted five months under a section. There is a world of difference between the two experiences. Later those experiences would drive me towards advocating for people detained under the mental health act. As a result, I have seen a lot, and have seen both the good, the bad, the ugly, and painfully absurd. I have seen abuses and amazing depths of kindness. Like any large system, you are at the mercy of who is working there and what dominant personalities are defining how the unit is run. The other patients on your ward at the time can also further define the experience.

There probably is no universal experience, other than maybe daytime tv, boredom, bland food, and the joys of waiting in the medication line. Beyond that, it is simply a lottery.

The Serengeti

The unit was mostly clean, comprised of two wards separated by a garden. It was a mixed ward but the patient rooms were separated by gender and existed in their own enclosed space. There were strict rules about patients not entering other peoples rooms. Near those rooms were the showers and toilets.

The thing I remember most about showering is just how tepid the water was and how cold the room itself was. If I was under observation it meant being stared at. Some nurses were courteous enough to turn their backs somewhat and read a book while the door was partially open. Others though would just stare at me like a zoo animal. It was an uncomfortable experience that further shrivelled my bits... There was also a bathroom, but it often wasn't clean enough to use because of the state other patients left it in.

There was a large T.V room with various chairs and sofas. The T.V was often stuck on one channel that you could request to have changed if people did not mind. Patients would often attempt to agree amongst themselves things to watch. It became pretty common to watch films in the evening and raid the overpriced snack machines with no healthy options available. Some people also chipped in for take away and it would be delivered to the hospital. These evenings were really comforting and something to look forward to. The only thing that could mar the experience was a patient kicking off in the TV room.

There were a few side rooms as well that generally ended up occupied consistently by various cliques of patients that had formed friendships, that played cards or borrowed other board games.

There was an art room. What was in there was very low-quality stuff, lots of things missing or damaged beyond being able to use effectively. Yep, there were indeed plenty of colouring books and puzzle books. As well as various board games, and some musical instruments and books of all sorts of variations, none of which were worth reading, but that is my opinion. That room though was only opened at certain times when it could be supervised.

The occupational therapist was a good bloke, he would play acoustic guitar and field requests and teach anyone interested how to play. He would create quizzes, and if a person felt like colouring in was too childish he would invite them to play scrabble or chess. I could see he was doing the best he could with what limited things were available. So there are good people within the system, it is not all bleak wasteland of nurse Ratchets from One flew over the cuckoo's nest. That is not to say though they don't exist in just as passive-aggressive tyrannical manner. Talking down to you like you are four and just pissed in their favourite vase. I will touch on that later.

There was a gym, not a very big one with only a few things but they were there and you could request access but you would have to wait for a member of staff that was trained to supervise and they would even take you through an exercise program.

There was a kitchen like area that had in it a large tank of hot water with a spout nozzle, used pretty much for hot drinks. But not so hot you could burn yourself on it. There were also fridges full of bread and that most dangerous of all conflict provoking things… milk! In a microcosm of people forced to live on top of each other needing access to tea, like starved vampires need access to blood. Milk was the start of world war three on multiple occasions causing inter ward disputes and the arrival of the police... People also seemed to like to decorate the ward with bread for reasons I can only likely attribute to chronic mind-numbing boredom!

There were other rooms as well used for various groups, but also for consulting with your psychiatrist when they did ward rounds.

At the time where I was there were various groups available split between occupational therapy type things and more cognitive behavioural therapies. There was even access to making pottery and having what you created fired in a kiln and sold to help the hospital. But there were also more practical classes that covered things like cooking, nutrition and sleep hygiene and how to stay on top of your medication regime. As well as various group therapies. Some centred on psychosis, or anger, or drug abuse. A lot of these groups over the years though have been cut and not replaced with anything. With an emphasis on drugging you and getting you out the door as soon as possible.

I had my own single room. There was not much in it but a wardrobe, bed, sink, mirror and a desk with some sort of puffy chair that did nothing for my back. The windows would only open a crack and looking down were hundreds of cigarette butts. The door had a rectangular window which meant any passing patient or staff could see in. I could always hear the sound of jangling keys and people moving through the corridors. Distant conversations punctuated by loud laughter or someone shouting obscenities at the nurses. Even at 3 am in the morning. There was a keycard lock which I kept on my person so no one could get in but other staff and the cleaners. So theft from my room never occurred. However, theft from out on the ward did.

There was a medical room, where they did a physical screening and took my blood and measurements and so forth. Beside that was a room where medication was dispensed at regular times throughout the day. You would pretty much line up and wait. The slow shuffle of people going in through the door and hearing every conversation about thrush cream and terrible nurses joke.

The dining room was not overly interesting just had tables and chairs and a cutlery tray and stacks of plastic plates. Food would often be the dominant thought on the ward because it broke up the monotony of the day. I think Gordon Ramsay would have likely come in screaming, demanding an explanation for what is this shit you are serving? Then less than politely inform everyone he would not even feed it to his dog.

The food basically came out in these preheated trolleys. There were various options. There were vegetarian and vegan options as well. However, what a food thing was called, versus what they looked like made you question if they had been labelled correctly. It did not matter what I chose. It all tasted bland. The reason for that though is some people can't have salt or sugar or don't like spices so it pretty much simpler to give everyone something bland and just about edible. In future excursions inside I made sure to take with me various spices and seasoning. There was also a fruit bowl that would be filled. It would not last ten minutes before everything was gone.

Reactions: Baskol1, brighter, uiop and 18 others
Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Mage
Oct 23, 2018
The Wildlife and the lions in the long grass.

Patients really defined the experience for me. Each time inside was different depending on who was there. One time I made friends with a fascinating guy who was deep into philosophy and science. We had some great chats. I saw him go through a regimen of ECT. It seemed to push away paralysing depression and he recovered enough to be discharged but suffered some memory loss. We are still friends to this day. The danger of friendships inside though is they can either make or break you. That risk greatly increases if you take them beyond the hospital walls. Be wary not everyone is as they seem.

In contrast, I met a guy who would constantly go on about Jesus and Hell. Now I lost my fiancee to leukaemia and at the time that was why I was in there as I was not handling her absence well. So when he implied she was still suffering in eternity I somewhat lost my shit and any politeness I normally operate under evaporated. That ward experience was rough because he provoked my rage and grief every single day. In the end, we were essentially at war verbally mauling one another. It got heated enough I got moved to a different ward after I threatened to cave in his skull and send him to the promised land… There were other dangers on the ward.

Some patients were just plain cruel. Blatantly enjoying triggering other clients by pointing out their warts or crooked teeth or how they were old and forgotten and no one would be visiting them. Some nasty pieces of work have come through those doors and they do play mind games just to see you dance. More distressing is seeing people in the grip of such despair and suffering and hearing them cry it out for hours on end with no way to soothe anything.

Then there were those people that were not on the same planet that you had to be wary about. I was among them sometimes. Because you never know how they would interpret anything you said. I saw people engaged in what amounted to a self-harming competition. People so bored that it provoked in them a rage to leave. Only to be denied and get even more enraged. Then the alarms would go and the ward would erupt into a flurry of activity as nurses, that were now behaving more like storm troopers closing in on the rebel alliance, would team up and subdue the emotional outburst and move them to the quiet room. Padded rooms do exist, but they are not called that any more. This one was not white either it was a sort of pale brown. Straight Jackets are not a thing in the UK at least. However four-point restraints can be along with an injection in the bum.

Although being restrained is pretty much being phased out and is pretty rare. One patient decided to take a chair to every sink in all the bathrooms and threatened a nurse in a similar manner. That did not end well for them.

But you also have to understand the amount of damage a person with no shits to give can do to themselves or others. No de-escalation technique is going to work on someone who is convinced if they don't remove their eyes at that moment their child's soul will be eaten and lost forever. Strange stuff like that plays out sometimes. If you can come up with better solutions to those scenarios you should take it up with your legislators.

I met all manner of nurses in my stay. Some really did genuinely care. Made a point of talking to patients and did their best for them. All the while having those same efforts hamstrung by reams of paperwork. I met nurses who behaved more like robots clocking on and off and doing the bare minimum. Even allowing one patient to stew in their own shit near the end of their shift. So the next staff on could deal with it after hand over. Encountered judgemental nurses making impolite inferences towards patients with a borderline diagnosis or subtly mocking me for freaking out and fainting at a blood draw. Well, when they have had their stepfather stab them through the hand with a dirty needle when twelve, they can get back to me!

I also got the pleasure of meeting my own Nurse Ratched. I will call her Nurse Holiday, the reason will become apparent. She also had superpowers of X-ray vision, able to see through walls and write notes about me in regards to things that never happened as if she can see into potential alternate dimensions. It is an amazing power I am truly envious…

I call her Nurse Holiday because she always used to make the same tired 'joke' that made me want to cave her skull in just to see if a brain existed within. I guess in psychiatric circles I am known as a frequent flyer. So her joke on entering the same ward she presided over was to welcome me back for my regular holiday. I can honestly think of plenty of better holiday destinations. It is not like they have the sphinx to marvel at in the TV lounge. Or a scenic view of the beach where I can watch turtles. The food is also lousy and constant noise is not really conducive to relaxation either. I am also not aware of any holidays that give you medications that mean you spend most of your time sleeping.

She talked down to me like I was four on a regular basis. Used a hostile tone when I wouldn't get up for medication. Racing thoughts had kept me up all night and I literally had only two hours by this point. So being lectured on getting up at regular times and how I was not helping myself was not at all helpful. In spite, I rolled over and went back to sleep. Big mistake, refusing meds and ignoring several warnings! Next thing I know I have more nurses in my room clustered around telling me I had to take my medication. Making increasingly ominous motions to force the issue. I caved but after that point, Nurse Holiday and I would not be on pleasant terms. It did not help my notes written by her are full of absolute bullshit that paints me out to be some violent thug. All because I happened to have a PSP at the time and was playing the Mafia game 24/7 because there really was not much else to do. Or got into verbal matches with a religious nutter telling me my soul mate was still suffering. Her shitty notes would cause me issues in the future when it came to being DRB checked.

One nurse, I met though would go on to give me hope at a time when I had none. As like me he had suffered through bipolar. Unlike me, though he had achieved stability and channelled his own experiences into helping others in a similar position. He inspired me, showed me it was possible. He was a great man and my one to one sessions with him honestly would lay the foundation for my future career. He said words to me that have stuck to this day. He shared a philosophy with me that has kept me in good stead through a lot of adversity. It was a story about starfish.

You can find it here.

https://eventsforchange.wordpress.c...sh-story-one-step-towards-changing-the-world/

You may find it sappy but it took away the feeling of I can't make a difference. I am just one pointless person with no power in a world of such unrelenting evil, why even try? In future, I would go on to change things in my small way one person at a time. Even now while pining for death I am glad I achieved that much and helped some people make it back to the sea. Knowing some are thriving gives me great satisfaction even in my bleaker moments.

I will stop there for now even though I have more to add. Maybe I will revisit this thread at a later date. If you have specific questions I may well answer them.

(Apologies for sloppy grammar and punctuation. I just don't have the energy in me these days to edit things to my usual standard. All the standards in my life in general, are steadily slipping.)

Reactions: Baskol1, brighter, uiop and 21 others
Lra888

Lra888

Enlightened
Sep 30, 2018
I was restrained when I first went in then I was able to talk my way out of it after several hours because they judged me not to be a threat to myself and they took blood to see if I was on any drugs and I wasn't. THat was probably the most terrifying thing for me, being restrained on a bed and having this nurse come in and take blood from me - i felt so powerless. After that i triend to act very normal so i could get the fuck out of that situation.

Reactions: Isabelx, Wolfjob_dayjob, Spookycabinet and 10 others
gingerplum

gingerplum

Enlightened
Nov 5, 2018
Wow. That was not too long! I actually enjoyed reading that so much, I was disappointed when I reached the end. Really. Very honest depiction, and I really appreciate your perspective as a patient.

I absolutely loved the throwing starfish story. It really resonated with me.

Thank you so much for sharing all this!

Reactions: brighter, Isabelx, Spookycabinet and 8 others
Johnnythefox

Johnnythefox

Que sera sera
Nov 11, 2018
Although I've not been institutionalised, your posts show that there are some who work in this area who genuinely care about the welfare of the patients.

Reactions: Isabelx, Wolfjob_dayjob, Deafsn0w and 7 others
Sad Panda

Sad Panda

Dec 2, 2018
I've never been committed. I am a nurse though. I spent a short amount of time on my clinical rotations at our local psych hospital. I'm in the US and locally there have been a lot of cuts to mental health services. Most people that are just suicidal seem to just go in and out pretty much same day through the ERs. The units I observed on had mostly people that had actually committed a crime due to their illness or were truly a harm to themselves or others and were too "crazy" to deal with it on an outpatient basis. These were people like the young guy that was convinced several different girls were in love with him so he stalked them relentlessly. He never physically harmed anyone but would break into their houses and cars or show up at these women's jobs. There were several folks who had no idea where they were.The resounding theme among those that were "with it" was ,as many people here have stated, boredom. I can't even begin to imagine the boredom. It was insufferable to be there as an observer (especially knowing my own suicidal desires). The staff was all friendly. To an outsider though I'm sure the staff is all just as wonderful as roses. I hope I don't ever land myself there. It's not an environment conducive to actually helping.

Reactions: Baskol1, Isabelx, Wolfjob_dayjob and 8 others
AveryConure

AveryConure

Some idiot
May 11, 2018
The last place I ended up being in I would say would honestly be okay to stay in if you were like schizophrenic and just needed to stabilize somewhere for a while but it was just really boring and even though I actually wasn't causing the staff trouble and took my meds it was a pain in the ass to get out even though I knew there wasn't much they could do for me beyond that. Other than that I had traumatic experiences in one that not long ago was facing worker strikes cause of the mistreatment of the patients and sexual abuse happening there and even had paint chipping off the walls and badly fixed holes in the walls with an infestation of head lice, one with a crazy Evanglist Christian lady who tried to send me to a homeless shelter that was a literal cult, and one while the adult ward wasn't terrible being there as a teen sucked cause you had nurses who constantly dismissed you and never took you seriously.

Even in some of the shitty places there were people who honestly did care, just unfortunately the mental healthcare in America is way more broken than usual, cause just the way the European users describe some of the things you're allowed to have and etc. in those places surprise me, so our healthcare is honestly worse.

Also this is probably an unpopular view and I kind of get why they have to rush people out after 3 days but I honestly think some people should be in those places way longer than 3 days as I feel that's barely enough time to "recover" from anything, but I think 6 months and onwards is pretty ludicrous unless you're severely disabled and etc.

• Hugs
Reactions: Isabelx, Wolfjob_dayjob, Deafsn0w and 4 others
Jodes

Jodes

Enlightened
Nov 23, 2018
Great posts. Any bad experience is hard to talk about

Reactions: Wolfjob_dayjob, Deafsn0w, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 2 others
Letmego. Please

Letmego. Please

Wizard
Nov 18, 2018
That was brilliant to read, even had a slight tear towards the end, using your experience to help others is a great thing.

I have been locked up more times than i can honestly remember from 1992-2012 (fingers crossed never again) & seen so much in that time, the literal dismantling of anything close to a Mental Health service, from the ward and staff in 92 to what existed last in 2012 is ridiculous & to a certain extent even the type of punter on the wards has changed somehow. I find that part of it very sad, that the chances i had no longer exists on the wards of a modern day unit.

I could never write my experiences as articulately as you so i won't bore you all to death. But back in 92 during a 2yr enforced stay i had this brilliant nurse that spent most of her working time with me (it was a 6 bed ward with 6 nurses + support & they gave the poor bugger a psychologist to talk to about having to talk to me, not proud of that) Anyway sorry wandered off again. In that time she helped me a hell of a lot and also towards the end suggested that i should consider going into her line of work and thought i would be good at it, this threw me rather at the time & for a multitude of reasons never happened, but over the yrs either as an inpatient or free i have tried to use what i have learned to help others and that has always been important to me, right now its the only thing i have left, i ended up running an Art based mental health support group and thats the only thing keeping me here, before i go i need to make sure the group & the support they receive will carry on without me.

Reactions: Deafsn0w, sif, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 5 others
Johnnythefox

Johnnythefox

Que sera sera
Nov 11, 2018
(it was a 6 bed ward with 6 nurses + support & they gave the poor bugger a psychologist to talk to about having to talk to me, not proud of that)
Is it not documented that many mental health workers themselves go on to develop mental health problems?
I was an auxiliary nurse when younger and the charge nurse was an RMN, that guy was a serious fruitcake.

Reactions: Deafsn0w, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Justanotherconsumer and 1 other person
Johnnythefox

Johnnythefox

Que sera sera
Nov 11, 2018
He was abusive to the patients and would do shit that was questionable, when he died only one patient from a ward of twenty six went to his funeral! And that was holy Sammy the Christian.

Reactions: Wolfjob_dayjob, Deafsn0w, sif and 2 others
N

NotWorthLiving

Enlightened
Dec 8, 2018
I may have missed it but, what do people have to do to be restrained? Like apparently people are starting to think about hospitalisation for me (involuntary of course) and I wanna avoid that as much as possible

Letmego. Please

Letmego. Please

Wizard
Nov 18, 2018
Is it not documented that many mental health workers themselves go on to develop mental health problems?
I was an auxiliary nurse when younger and the charge nurse was an RMN, that guy was a serious fruitcake.

Yeah i have noticed that over the years, some join the job to almost hide in plain sight others do it for the 'power' it gives them, met plenty of those a-holes, one used to bait the more unstable punters just so he could them restrain them & poke a load of haliperidol in their backsides, it backfired on him on day to our amusement, he tried it on with this big fella the police had not long brought in, understandably the chap flipped & started trashing his room, so in piles the a-hole & staff, next thing we know he comes out with a broken nose saying the person hit him, a-hole is very upset as he was due to fly on holiday the next day & well the busted nose ended that, so he is getting angrier and angrier, wants to press charges & get compo for his poor nose & holiday, when another of the nurses that pilled in with him, mentioned loud enough that the whole ward heard that he had in fact been so eager to jump on him that he'd tripped up & fallen flat on his face. He as the regular nurse in charge on nights had made our lives hell for months, so it was very nice that he never returned.

My previous cpn had suffered from depression all his life & had to leave pronto when he was about to lose it & start punching useless managers, was a nice bloke.

Letmego. Please

Letmego. Please

Wizard
Nov 18, 2018
I may have missed it but, what do people have to do to be restrained? Like apparently people are starting to think about hospitalisation for me (involuntary of course) and I wanna avoid that as much as possible

To avoid being restrained you need to be the 'model' patient so no trying to leave the ward/unit, you must then also agree to take whatever medication some dip shit shrink has decided you need, there maybe more that come to mind but they are both what gets me into trouble...

Reactions: Wolfjob_dayjob, Deafsn0w, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 1 other person
AveryConure

AveryConure

Some idiot
May 11, 2018
YMMV depending on your hospital of course but generally they only use chemical restraints on you if you're really aggressive and it's usually a last resort. That's only in a decent enough hospital though.

Reactions: Deafsn0w, sif and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
T

tiredofchronicpain

Dec 26, 2018
The Wildlife and the lions in the long grass.

Patients really defined the experience for me. Each time inside was different depending on who was there. One time I made friends with a fascinating guy who was deep into philosophy and science. We had some great chats. I saw him go through a regimen of ECT. It seemed to push away paralysing depression and he recovered enough to be discharged but suffered some memory loss. We are still friends to this day. The danger of friendships inside though is they can either make or break you. That risk greatly increases if you take them beyond the hospital walls. Be wary not everyone is as they seem.

In contrast, I met a guy who would constantly go on about Jesus and Hell. Now I lost my fiancee to leukaemia and at the time that was why I was in there as I was not handling her absence well. So when he implied she was still suffering in eternity I somewhat lost my shit and any politeness I normally operate under evaporated. That ward experience was rough because he provoked my rage and grief every single day. In the end, we were essentially at war verbally mauling one another. It got heated enough I got moved to a different ward after I threatened to cave in his skull and send him to the promised land… There were other dangers on the ward.

Some patients were just plain cruel. Blatantly enjoying triggering other clients by pointing out their warts or crooked teeth or how they were old and forgotten and no one would be visiting them. Some nasty pieces of work have come through those doors and they do play mind games just to see you dance. More distressing is seeing people in the grip of such despair and suffering and hearing them cry it out for hours on end with no way to soothe anything.

Then there were those people that were not on the same planet that you had to be wary about. I was among them sometimes. Because you never know how they would interpret anything you said. I saw people engaged in what amounted to a self-harming competition. People so bored that it provoked in them a rage to leave. Only to be denied and get even more enraged. Then the alarms would go and the ward would erupt into a flurry of activity as nurses, that were now behaving more like storm troopers closing in on the rebel alliance, would team up and subdue the emotional outburst and move them to the quiet room. Padded rooms do exist, but they are not called that any more. This one was not white either it was a sort of pale brown. Straight Jackets are not a thing in the UK at least. However four-point restraints can be along with an injection in the bum.

Although being restrained is pretty much being phased out and is pretty rare. One patient decided to take a chair to every sink in all the bathrooms and threatened a nurse in a similar manner. That did not end well for them.

But you also have to understand the amount of damage a person with no shits to give can do to themselves or others. No de-escalation technique is going to work on someone who is convinced if they don't remove their eyes at that moment their child's soul will be eaten and lost forever. Strange stuff like that plays out sometimes. If you can come up with better solutions to those scenarios you should take it up with your legislators.

I met all manner of nurses in my stay. Some really did genuinely care. Made a point of talking to patients and did their best for them. All the while having those same efforts hamstrung by reams of paperwork. I met nurses who behaved more like robots clocking on and off and doing the bare minimum. Even allowing one patient to stew in their own shit near the end of their shift. So the next staff on could deal with it after hand over. Encountered judgemental nurses making impolite inferences towards patients with a borderline diagnosis or subtly mocking me for freaking out and fainting at a blood draw. Well, when they have had their stepfather stab them through the hand with a dirty needle when twelve, they can get back to me!

I also got the pleasure of meeting my own Nurse Ratched. I will call her Nurse Holiday, the reason will become apparent. She also had superpowers of X-ray vision, able to see through walls and write notes about me in regards to things that never happened as if she can see into potential alternate dimensions. It is an amazing power I am truly envious…

I call her Nurse Holiday because she always used to make the same tired 'joke' that made me want to cave her skull in just to see if a brain existed within. I guess in psychiatric circles I am known as a frequent flyer. So her joke on entering the same ward she presided over was to welcome me back for my regular holiday. I can honestly think of plenty of better holiday destinations. It is not like they have the sphinx to marvel at in the TV lounge. Or a scenic view of the beach where I can watch turtles. The food is also lousy and constant noise is not really conducive to relaxation either. I am also not aware of any holidays that give you medications that mean you spend most of your time sleeping.

She talked down to me like I was four on a regular basis. Used a hostile tone when I wouldn't get up for medication. Racing thoughts had kept me up all night and I literally had only two hours by this point. So being lectured on getting up at regular times and how I was not helping myself was not at all helpful. In spite, I rolled over and went back to sleep. Big mistake, refusing meds and ignoring several warnings! Next thing I know I have more nurses in my room clustered around telling me I had to take my medication. Making increasingly ominous motions to force the issue. I caved but after that point, Nurse Holiday and I would not be on pleasant terms. It did not help my notes written by her are full of absolute bullshit that paints me out to be some violent thug. All because I happened to have a PSP at the time and was playing the Mafia game 24/7 because there really was not much else to do. Or got into verbal matches with a religious nutter telling me my soul mate was still suffering. Her shitty notes would cause me issues in the future when it came to being DRB checked.

One nurse, I met though would go on to give me hope at a time when I had none. As like me he had suffered through bipolar. Unlike me, though he had achieved stability and channelled his own experiences into helping others in a similar position. He inspired me, showed me it was possible. He was a great man and my one to one sessions with him honestly would lay the foundation for my future career. He said words to me that have stuck to this day. He shared a philosophy with me that has kept me in good stead through a lot of adversity. It was a story about starfish.

You can find it here.

https://eventsforchange.wordpress.c...sh-story-one-step-towards-changing-the-world/

You may find it sappy but it took away the feeling of I can't make a difference. I am just one pointless person with no power in a world of such unrelenting evil, why even try? In future, I would go on to change things in my small way one person at a time. Even now while pining for death I am glad I achieved that much and helped some people make it back to the sea. Knowing some are thriving gives me great satisfaction even in my bleaker moments.

I will stop there for now even though I have more to add. Maybe I will revisit this thread at a later date. If you have specific questions I may well answer them.

(Apologies for sloppy grammar and punctuation. I just don't have the energy in me these days to edit things to my usual standard. All the standards in my life in general, are steadily slipping.)
Hi, Misanthrope. May I ask how old you are? Your posts are very insightful. I have made a post prompting your replies on a number of topics. I think this society will become better with people like yourself on here.

Reactions: Deafsn0w, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Johnnythefox
Johnnythefox

Johnnythefox

Que sera sera
Nov 11, 2018
Hi, Misanthrope. May I ask how old you are? Your posts are very insightful. I have made a post prompting your replies on a number of topics. I think this society will become better with people like yourself on here.
Why not just pm him?

Reactions: Wolfjob_dayjob, Deafsn0w, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 1 other person
sunny.sativa

sunny.sativa

organic
Apr 2, 2019
I have my own experiences and.. traumas.. haha from the ward, but this was really informative and sounded just about how it is in the US.
We do have padded rooms, however, and they smell like burnt rubber and urine.

Anyways, I enjoyed the read, thank you.

Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Mage
Oct 23, 2018
Just bumping this as I have seen questions raised about it and I am too lazy to repeat myself.