• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you
Jul 1, 2020
I hope its not the buspar and just a coincidence. It has potential tp help.
if it is just the crying i can..hopefully handle that until my body gets use to it. being sensitive to medications is making recovery impossible, but crying is a lot easier to deal with then my last side effects

Niftypoint124

Niftypoint124

Student
Nov 7, 2020
I've tried Benadryl, something fancier than Benadryl that was really just strong Benadryl, and Klonopin. The Benedryl-ish options just made me tired, but didn't help with the anxiety. I was prescribed my Klonopin to take as-needed... and had mixed results. It would immediately relieve my anxiety, but it also led to me falling asleep in random places I felt comfortable even at low dosages (in a sunny spot on the floor, a corner of my stairwell, etc) and I found that the next day, when I wasn't going to take the Klonopin, was 10x harder. It was like that wave of anxiety had been building during the time the drug was making me feel better, and then crashing down around me as soon as it was out of my system. Now I'm taking a beta blocker, which only slows my heart rate, and doesn't have the same impact on my thought processes.

Anecdotally I will say anyone I know who takes anti-anxiety prescriptions like xanax or klonopin on a daily basis has a hell of a time functioning without them later on down the line.

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you
Jul 1, 2020
The Benedryl-ish options just made me tired, but didn't help with the anxiety.
What is Benadryl used for?
Diphenhydramine is an antihistamine used to relieve symptoms of allergy, hay fever, and the common cold. These symptoms include rash, itching, watery eyes, itchy eyes/nose/throat, cough, runny nose, and sneezing. It is also used to prevent and treat nausea, vomiting and dizziness caused by motion sickness.

why did you think benadryl would help?
Now I'm taking a beta blocker, which only slows my heart rate, and doesn't have the same impact on my thought processes.
also theres a good reason for this
Beta blockers work by blocking the effects of norepinephrine, a stress hormone involved in the fight-or-flight response. This helps control the physical symptoms of anxiety such as rapid heart rate, a trembling voice, sweating, dizziness, and shaky hands.

Niftypoint124

Niftypoint124

Student
Nov 7, 2020
I guess I'm unclear; are you posting this thread asking what people have taken and how it worked, or debating what those drugs are for?

Again, these were all options offered by my doctor. The Benedryl & stronger variant are an option they supply to folks who aren't interested in benzo's - my understanding is their logic is that by being "calmer" (or, in my case, just tired) will decrease anxiety. Didn't work for me.

The beta blockers could help due to blocking some of those physical manifestations of anxious episodes without impacting my cognitive abilities, as well as not having the "morning after issues" I mentioned in my previous post.

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you
Jul 1, 2020
I guess I'm unclear; are you posting this thread asking what people have taken and how it worked, or debating what those drugs are for?

Again, these were all options offered by my doctor. The Benedryl & stronger variant are an option they supply to folks who aren't interested in benzo's - my understanding is their logic is that by being "calmer" (or, in my case, just tired) will decrease anxiety. Didn't work for me.

The beta blockers could help due to blocking some of those physical manifestations of anxious episodes without impacting my cognitive abilities, as well as not having the "morning after issues" I mentioned in my previous post.
i was looking for medications to look into to suggest to my doc, im on buspar now, day 2.

i wouldnt go to that doctor anymore if his answer is "we'll just make them sleep all the time, thatll solve it" thats a horrible way to 'help' people.
again? sorry i must have missed that part
try checking out the one im on. i cant say if it helps yet but im sensitive to meds and easily addicted, when i choose it i had to take that into consideration so it might be something for you too look into as well

Last edited: