• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

trashprincess

trashprincess

She/Slur
Aug 8, 2023
Been in the depths of despair lately. Like REALLY bad. Today I rode my bicycle like 40 miles (okay so half the point of the thread is just to mention that because I'm super heckin' proud of that) and I feel SO much better. I'm also so exhausted it hurts and I'm probably going to pass out in like 10min. But that's part of the fun!

I've had this experience before. Since I occasionally work construction, I'll get depressed for a while and then have a day of hard manual labor to boost my morale? Apparently that's how it works.

Now it's real easy to get real miserable real fast doing stuff this strenuous. But every now and then pushing my body to it's absolute limits revitalizes me in ways few things do.

Anyone else have any experience utilizing physical activity to improve mental health? Or have any desire to? Would love to share whatever insight I have on the subject and encourage anyone who would like to exercise their way to better mental health!

Last edited:
CuriosityAndCat

CuriosityAndCat

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.
Nov 2, 2023
Yes to physical activity to improving symptoms

• Love
Reactions: trashprincess
C

ConfusedClouds

Mar 9, 2024
YES! At the moment I am on hillwalking/mountaineering and gym sessions but have used long jogs and bike before too!

I have previously been an 'elite athlete' (though I never called myself that at the time), high level team sports. So I just seem to have continued my training and some more - I am fitter and stronger now than I was when competing annoyingly. I also enjoy active/'doing' jobs.

Have you had history of training/sports too that this has developed from?

Beast mode 💪💪💪 Great effort with the bike ride!

• Love
Mirrory Me

Mirrory Me

Life is a mirror, but "whose" mirror?
Mar 23, 2023
That's alot- remmember to eat something so your muscles won't get damaged.

• Love
trashprincess

trashprincess

She/Slur
Aug 8, 2023
YES! At the moment I am on hillwalking/mountaineering and gym sessions but have used long jogs and bike before too!

I have previously been an 'elite athlete' (though I never called myself that at the time), high level team sports. So I just seem to have continued my training and some more - I am fitter and stronger now than I was when competing annoyingly. I also enjoy active/'doing' jobs.

Have you had history of training/sports too that this has developed from?

Beast mode 💪💪💪 Great effort with the bike ride!
I've got that poverty bod 💪😎💪
Done a bunch of construction work, and also I've never driven a car so I get around everywhere by walk/bike/bus
Was actually a total NERD growing up 🤓
That's alot- remmember to eat something so your muscles won't get damaged.
Ty ❤️ I ate as much as I could when I got home ☺️

• Love
Reactions: ConfusedClouds
K

KafkaF

Taking a break from the website.
Nov 18, 2023
Been in the depths of despair lately. Like REALLY bad. Today I rode my bicycle like 40 miles (okay so half the point of the thread is just to mention that because I'm super heckin' proud of that) and I feel SO much better. I'm also so exhausted it hurts and I'm probably going to pass out in like 10min. But that's part of the fun!

I've had this experience before. Since I occasionally work construction, I'll get depressed for a while and then have a day of hard manual labor to boost my morale? Apparently that's how it works.

Now it's real easy to get real miserable real fast doing stuff this strenuous. But every now and then pushing my body to it's absolute limits revitalizes me in ways few things do.

Anyone else have any experience utilizing physical activity to improve mental health? Or have any desire to? Would love to share whatever insight I have on the subject and encourage anyone who would like to exercise their way to better mental health!
This is normal.

Studies have shown that exercise aids in reducing depressive symptoms for many people. Exercise causes a release of endorphins (feel good brain chemicals).

Anyway, good job! Keep it up if you can!

C

ConfusedClouds

Mar 9, 2024
I get around everywhere by walk/bike/bus
I love it when I am based in larger towns/cities so can walk a decent distance everywhere!

How quickly do you find the benefits last for from a big exercise day like your bike ride? Or from 'smaller' sessions?

I find smaller stuff like weights sessions don't help too much individually (but give me routine and build fitness for bigger exploits). HIIT type cardio interval sessions give me a much bigger 'hit' but still can 'wear off' the same day. Big exped/adventure days sort me out until the next day when I feel satisfyingly tired. I am however finding that I'm needing to do more and more which then in weird ways can be counter productive as annoying anxieties pipe up with debating at what point I'm doing too much!

Edit: I should clarify that even though I am familiar with all this exercise, and sound confident, I still get mega overwhelmed with 'what to do' - have to stick to stuff on autopilot or with a secondary purpose (i.e walking a long way in/around town to the shop). My gym sessions are the same on repeat for years from my 'athlete' days and often I use gym classes where I can just be told by an instructor what/when/how to do anything. Also lapping signposted trails for hiking/biking so I don't get stuck or derailed by any planning whatsoever. Analysis paralysis is a big struggle.

Last edited:
  • Love
Ash

Ash

Wizard
Oct 4, 2021
Yup. My MH has deteriorated significantly since I injured myself and haven't been able to recover fully to cycle for miles and miles or get out hiking. I miss it so much.

C

ConfusedClouds

Mar 9, 2024
Yup. My MH has deteriorated significantly since I injured myself and haven't been able to recover fully to cycle for miles and miles or get out hiking. I miss it so much.
Oh that sounds so horrible.

Is it a shorter or longer term injury thats keeping you from adventures? I really hope you are able to get back out there soon.

Ash

Ash

Wizard
Oct 4, 2021
Oh that sounds so horrible.

Is it a shorter or longer term injury thats keeping you from adventures? I really hope you are able to get back out there soon.
Thanks. I've got a few niggling injuries. Nothing serious but enough to risk serious damage if I push through the pain. But I keep aggravating them in really stupid (and unintentional) ways so it just drags on and on and on. I think it's the not knowing that's the worst. If they said my hiking days were done, I could find a way to come to terms with that. But working for recovery and then going back to the beginning time and time again is just exhausting, especially when not being able to get outside and do the things I love has a huge impact on my emotional wellbeing, anyway. I could always rely on my body even when my mind and emotions let me down. Now I can't rely on that either. Can't imagine why I'm at the bus stop 😂😭

C

ConfusedClouds

Mar 9, 2024
Thanks. I've got a few niggling injuries. Nothing serious but enough to risk serious damage if I push through the pain. But I keep aggravating them in really stupid (and unintentional) ways so it just drags on and on and on. I think it's the not knowing that's the worst. If they said my hiking days were done, I could find a way to come to terms with that. But working for recovery and then going back to the beginning time and time again is just exhausting, especially when not being able to get outside and do the things I love has a huge impact on my emotional wellbeing, anyway. I could always rely on my body even when my mind and emotions let me down. Now I can't rely on that either. Can't imagine why I'm at the bus stop 😂😭
Oh that sounds so frustrating and totally understandable. Sorry you've been having to deal with those ups and downs and false hope.

Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
This is definitely a thing.

Since I quit my job, I can treat fitness like an occupation (for a while). I wake up feeling like crap, then after my 2+ hours in the gym I feel normal. Then I sleep and repeat the cycle. It's like a thread keeping me alive.

I can certainly recommend a heavy physical fitness routine for people in less dire situations as it will make all the difference.

trashprincess

trashprincess

She/Slur
Aug 8, 2023
I love it when I am based in larger towns/cities so can walk a decent distance everywhere!

How quickly do you find the benefits last for from a big exercise day like your bike ride? Or from 'smaller' sessions?

I find smaller stuff like weights sessions don't help too much individually (but give me routine and build fitness for bigger exploits). HIIT type cardio interval sessions give me a much bigger 'hit' but still can 'wear off' the same day. Big exped/adventure days sort me out until the next day when I feel satisfyingly tired. I am however finding that I'm needing to do more and more which then in weird ways can be counter productive as annoying anxieties pipe up with debating at what point I'm doing too much!

Edit: I should clarify that even though I am familiar with all this exercise, and sound confident, I still get mega overwhelmed with 'what to do' - have to stick to stuff on autopilot or with a secondary purpose (i.e walking a long way in/around town to the shop). My gym sessions are the same on repeat for years from my 'athlete' days and often I use gym classes where I can just be told by an instructor what/when/how to do anything. Also lapping signposted trails for hiking/biking so I don't get stuck or derailed by any planning whatsoever. Analysis paralysis is a big struggle.
Honestly I never bothered to keep track of how long the benefit lasts, but for now I feel like I'm out of the pit of despair, and I'm ready to give life another fraction of a go! I'll report back once my mood has tanked 👍

A little bit of exercise helps when I'm having a bad day and I just need a little boost. Like there's this really pretty park near my house I ride to and it's only like 45min there and back.

But big beast mode days help when I'm having a bad life and need a little will-to-live.
Oof 😣 I feel a lot of that. Cycling is pretty much the only thing I can do with my body that isn't making one of my injuries/issues worse. I miss nice long walks 😞 For me it's just that it's too hard for me to stop though 😅

Is there any kind of physical activity you can do without hurting yourself?
This is definitely a thing.

Since I quit my job, I can treat fitness like an occupation (for a while). I wake up feeling like crap, then after my 2+ hours in the gym I feel normal. Then I sleep and repeat the cycle. It's like a thread keeping me alive.

I can certainly recommend a heavy physical fitness routine for people in less dire situations as it will make all the difference.
Yes 🙌

It can take some working up to though for people unaccustomed to physical activity. For me I did a lot of walking before I started pushing myself 👍

errorsinmypast

errorsinmypast

Wondering wtf and why
Apr 3, 2024
Yes to exercise. Set small challenges, achieve them and you'll feel amazing.....albeit temporarily until the next challenge.

Reactions: Linda
Linda

Linda

Jul 30, 2020
Yes. When I was stuggling with chronic fatigue, I found that - paradoxically - dancing helped. When I was very low physically I couldn't do it, of course, but when I was in an intermediate state it did help. No idea why.

Unicr0n

Unicr0n

Stuck in a black hole...
Mar 26, 2024
I run and experience the positive effects of it. Scientifically cardio has been shown to improve mental health from treatment-resistant depression to chronically suicidal individuals. Keep it up!! 👍

Reactions: Linda
whiteclaudia

whiteclaudia

cute + well adjusted
Mar 23, 2024
you know how you have to tire out a puppy so it doesn't cause trouble? same logic, i think.

• Love
Reactions: ConfusedClouds