epic

epic

Enlightened
Aug 9, 2019
The first thing people tend to do while talking to someone who is suicidal is not acknowledging the struggle/hardship the person has been through. . It's because people don't want to legitimize the problem, because once the problem is legitimized , they might be legitimizing other person's suicidal ideation (Atleast that's how they are thinking about it).
What are your thoughts on this ?

Reactions: Ultracheese and BBBB
Amakishiyo

Amakishiyo

Despite everything, it's still you
Mar 5, 2023
What I have often experienced is that people immediately start to compare or think they know everything about you, saying how others have it so much worse.
The only thing that this ever caused in me was feeling bad about feeling bad since apparently I don't have the right to feel bad by their logic.

• Informative
Reactions: missingpeace, Ultracheese, kindalone and 1 other person
kindalone

kindalone

Student
Mar 1, 2023
What I have often experienced is that people immediately start to compare or think they know everything about you, saying how others have it so much worse.
The only thing that this ever caused in me was feeling bad about feeling bad since apparently I don't have the right to feel bad by their logic.
Exactly. I just feel completely alone. I had someone really say "I don't get it" when I voiced some of my feelings and I felt crushed.

• Aww..
Reactions: Veronica Sawyer, Ultracheese, BBBB and 1 other person
bluefeather177

bluefeather177

drowsy in a dark room
Mar 2, 2023
I have always felt this. People always start to talk about how many good things you have in your life and reasons to live, which always makes me want to ctb even more because they don't understand. If all these good things mean I shouldn't want to ctb, there must be something incredibly wrong with me for me to feel this way.

I exclusively talk about ctb with people who I know have been suicidal in the past because they are the ones who truly get it, that no amount of "but you have good things too!" changes anything.

Reactions: Ultracheese, BBBB and epic
Ultracheese

Ultracheese

Arcanist
Dec 1, 2022
You summed it up perfectly. It does not have to be a pissing contest. It should not be a competition of who has had to suffer more. Responses in that vein are totally unempathetic and just go to show how uncomfortable people are talking about suicide.

Veronica Sawyer

Veronica Sawyer

Feb 22, 2023
Exactly. I just feel completely alone. I had someone really say "I don't get it" when I voiced some of my feelings and I felt crushed.
One of the biggest struggles of the human condition is that nobody can be inside our head, and we cannot truly and totally know what anybody else is experiencing. We make do with language, and sometimes we find people we can understand enough to relate to, but I think that everybody is going to encounter some people in their life that they just cannot understand. And it sucks, it feels awful. Personally it often makes me want to give up on social interaction altogether.

Stuck in a body, stuck in a mind
Stuck in one body, stuck in one mind, for the rest of your life

I don't have a good conclusion to this just, just voicing some of the thoughts that rattle around my head.

• Informative
Reactions: ScissorYoda, epic and kindalone