GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
I didn't learn how to walk well until I got a toy stroller for my second birthday and had something to hold onto.

When I was a kid, my dad got so frustrated trying to teach me to hit a ball with a bat. I'd swing and rarely connect. Catching objects has always been difficult. I was the right-field laughingstock of my softball team.

When I tried to learn how to golf, I'd usually swing and either hit the ground or miss the ball on the tee by swinging too high.

I was physically awkward in my younger years. I was often a laughingstock. I tripped easily, and ran into things that were obvious.

I suck at high-fives.

I'm a decent enough driver, but I had a propensity for scraping the hubcap on curbs when parallel parking.

Heights have always scared me. It took a great effort of will to jump off a high dive, and hitting the water was usually painful because my balance was off.

3-D movies were amazing.

I figured out in my twenties that I don't have stereo vision. I see the world two-dimensionally like a photograph. Objects don't float out.

I'm convinced this has contributed to headaches, neck and shoulder aches, and stomach issues. I think it affects the vestibular impact on my balance.

I was never cross-eyed nor did I have a lazy eye. I had a mild seizure disorder when I was a baby, perhaps that played a role.

I've done my research. There are therapies for this problem. They take a long time. I know of some of the exercises, but I don't have the means for a detailed diagnosis and treatment.

I never told my family about this issue, I don't know why. In part, I was already used to it. In part, they might have rolled their eyes (hah) and criticized. But really, I don't know why I didn't tell them. Maybe one day they'll come to this site seeking answers about my death, read my posts, and have an a-ha moment.

Seeing in 3-D is something I truly wish for. I've seen landscapes float out twice and it was amazing, like a pop-up book in real life. So I know my vision has the ability to align, I just don't know how to do it again. Having seen that, I have a better understanding of how hard my brain has had to work to guess at distances and depth.

Curious as to whether anyone else has this issue. Feel free to share experiences. I've never personally known anyone else with this issue. If you have the ability to see in 3-D, you function as you were born to, and to me you are so lucky. Watch a regular movie and you'll see the world pretty close to how I do.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Wow
  • Love
Reactions: chocolatebar, WinterFaust, Broken Chimera and 9 others
not-2-b-the-answer

not-2-b-the-answer

Archangel
Mar 23, 2018
So sorry for your condition. I can't even imagine what that is like. I suck at sports and I am clumsy and I can still see in 3-D :wink:

Reactions: GoodPersonEffed
Apathy79

Apathy79

Arcanist
Oct 13, 2019
Maybe you're the next Rembrandt! I think he had the same thing.

So I know my vision has the ability to align, I just don't know how to do it again.

This part is interesting. I wonder if it's psychological?

GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
This part is interesting. I wonder if it's psychological?

Nope. Had it since I was a baby. Like those with lazy eye or squint, my brain has a default of interpreting visual data this way. It can be retrained, but it takes a lot of effort and specific exercises, of which I only have access to a few. There was one man who went to a 3-D movie and came out able to see in 3-D, seems his brain got the message. So I still have hope. The past couple years, I can see some geographical features like hills at a certain distance slightly set off from one another, or some buildings, but it's not a huge difference like pop-up books.

That's interesting about Rembrandt.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
What an amazing and weird condition. I take for granted my ability to see normally. I never realised people could in fact not have 3D vision. I'm sorry it's like that for you. It must be even worse if you know what you are missing. My sight and visual perception have been my stock and trade as an archaeologist, surveyor and gaphic designer. I couldn't imagine not having that perception.

• Love
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
Thanks, @Underscore. Now that I understand it, and have a concept of what I'm missing, I would so like the benefits of my body knowing where it is in space. It's a minor handicap in comparison to many, but it definitely is one. I can only imagine how beautiful and intriguing the world looks. I've read about how babies stare at things and part of it may be because 3-D is just so cool. I can imagine if it developed for me, just being inside my apartment would be exceedingly interesting and entertaining for a long time.

Mort

Mort

No use to know one
Feb 15, 2019
Well i dont have what you have but sum times I can only see in black and white. All so i get tunnel vision very often the colour slowly fades away over a day of two then it can take up to a couple of weeks to get all the colour back.

• Wow
Reactions: WinterFaust and GoodPersonEffed
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
When people look in the mirror, does their reflection appear as 3-D, or 2-D like a photo?

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
When people look in the mirror, does their reflection appear as 3-D, or 2-D like a photo?
Hard question to answer. I'd say it's like watching TV. It's a 2D representation of something that you can see is 3D. So I guess it's 2D. Wow, now I can see how my avatar explanation may have been interesting for you?

GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
Hard question to answer. I'd say it's like watching TV. It's a 2D representation of something that you can see is 3D. So I guess it's 2D.

Life's last great mystery for me now solved. Thank you. I can at last ctb. Consider this my goodbye...

Wow, now I can see how my avatar explanation may have been interesting for you?

No, but maybe now you and I both can see why I said I didn't get it? :pfff:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1496

Student
Aug 2, 2018
If you haven't done a search already, people have talked a bit about this on reddit. One said their eye doctor never told them about this issue because the doctor thought they already knew about it. Another said they could draw really well because they didn't have to flatten what they see to draw.

GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
If you haven't done a search already, people have talked a bit about this on reddit. One said their eye doctor never told them about this issue because the doctor thought they already knew about it.

That doctor was a dumbass. How can someone know they're missing something if they've never had it? Of course, the same logic could apply to the eye doctor's lack of ability to reason. S/he may not know they're a dumbass if they've always naturally been one.

All Things Must Pass

All Things Must Pass

Mage
Apr 14, 2021
That doctor was a dumbass. How can someone know they're missing something if they've never had it? Of course, the same logic could apply to the eye doctor's lack of ability to reason. S/he may not know they're a dumbass if they've always naturally been one.
Some guy on reddit claimed his ophthalmologist withheld information from him. Doctors can just lie through their teeth like that. I assume it's because they prefer you to cling to false hopes instead of the painful truth.

Last edited:
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer