Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
People love to say this, and I suppose it's true.

However, in the same breath, they will also say that suicidal people are selfish for not appreciating how much their suicide will spoil the happiness of others.

So which is it? Are we responsible for others' happiness or not?

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, ShornSoloists, ncmxm and 21 others
motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
It isn't true. People routinely mistreat children & other adults who can't fight back & make them feel desperate

Reactions: ShornSoloists, snxw, ithappens and 4 others
Celerity

Celerity

Jan 24, 2021
It isn't true. People routinely mistreat children & other adults who can't fight back & make them feel desperate
Those are special circumstances go. Self-sustaining adult to adult though, it makes sense, particularly in our sink-or-swim, every-man-for-himself society.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
If that's true then I'm definitely fucked because I actively go about destroying my own happiness all the time, usually as punishment for destroying my happiness at some other point in the past. It's a vicious cycle that will never end until one or both of us dies.

• Love
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, WrongPlaceWrongTime, ShornSoloists and 2 others
B

BlankUser

Mage
Apr 24, 2021
Sounds like another toxic positive quote to me. Messed up brain chemistry that you can't control can be a major reason why you feel unhappy.

• Love
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, WrongPlaceWrongTime, ShornSoloists and 8 others
UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020
I'm gonna repost a quote that @hotelbeneathground posted not long ago in another thread:

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you."

With what has been done to you and with what has been given to you. Of course the ideal way would be to make the best out of it - to free yourself from the chains that bound you, or turn them into an advantage, or better yet, to triumphantly revolt against them - but that's romanticized wishful thinking.

The point is - something has been done (and given) to you and because of this, your freedom is not absolute.

Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, ithappens, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and 3 others
V

virginiawoolf

Feb 7, 2021
i think the meaning of the quote is to not be dependent on external validation. of course you are dependent on a stable environment for happiness - but in our society full of empty positivity, people like to ignore this.

Reactions: ithappens, overcomingfear, Ame and 3 others
A

Anonymous_A

Arcanist
Oct 4, 2020
No ones responsible for my happiness?

No ones responsible for my death, so leave me to it.

Reactions: ithappens, WrongPlaceWrongTime and Celerity
motel rooms

motel rooms

Apr 13, 2021
If that's true then I'm definitely fucked because I actively go about destroying my own happiness all the time, usually as punishment for destroying my happiness at some other point in the past. It's a vicious cycle that will never end until one or both of us dies.
And so, for the sake of momentum,
I'm condemning my future to death
So it can match the past.

-- Aimee Mann

Reactions: Celerity
eternalmelancholy

eternalmelancholy

waiting for the bus
Mar 24, 2021
However, in the same breath, they will also say that suicidal people are selfish for not appreciating how much their suicide will spoil the happiness of others.

People don't like it when you rock the boat. Talking about uncomfortable things like death and the meaningless of life will anger people. That is why it is best to just keep quiet. I found that people will not hesitate to exploit your weakness for their own personal gain.

SS is great because it is anonymous and people on here have an open mind. So you can talk about stuff that you normally have to keep to yourself.

Reactions: ncmxm, ithappens, TooConscious and 1 other person
motel rooms

motel rooms

Apr 13, 2021
Those are special circumstances go. Self-sustaining adult to adult though, it makes sense, particularly in our sink-or-swim, every-man-for-himself society.
Well, maybe it was kind of true in the West back when a lot of people could easily get another job if their boss treated them like shit, but now that the swimming pool has been almost drained it's hard to be a happy independent swimmer

Reactions: ithappens and Celerity
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
You've got a great point.
That's my eternal dilemma, I guess.

However, leaving my dad's feelings aside once I ctb, I really think my happiness only depends on me.

I don't blame anyone for being suicidal. Hatred leads nowhere and you only end up poisoned for decades (or even until the day you die).
I have all I need to be happy but that's not enough.

I wanna understand existence, not just be a goddamn insignificant silly ape stuck on a blue rock.

Just get me outta here please! lol

Reactions: Celerity
motel rooms

motel rooms

Apr 13, 2021
I don't blame anyone for being suicidal. Hatred leads nowhere and you only end up poisoned for decades (or even until the day you die).
We can't just decide not to hate. We can't make our unconscious mind do anything it refuses to do, we're at its mercy until the day we die

Reactions: ithappens
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
We can't just decide not to hate. We can't make our unconscious mind do anything it refuses to do, we're at its mercy until the day we die

Well, I've decided not to hate and it seems to be working for me.
My classmates made my life hell and I hated them for many years but now I don't.

I guess each human is different.

motel rooms

motel rooms

Apr 13, 2021
Reactions: ithappens and Makko
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
People are not worth listening to. There are a few exceptions; a handful of people here on SaSu, for example.

• Love
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
Things out of our control can affect our mood, we are not always responsible for it, such as trauma. We can try to convince ourselves that we are happy but our own thoughts can torture us and we have little control over this. In many situations it is irrational to be positive.
Suicidal people have no obligation to stay alive, it isn't like they asked to be alivein the first place. It is selfish for others to expect them to stay alive just for their sake.

Reactions: ithappens
motel rooms

motel rooms

Apr 13, 2021
Sounds like another toxic positive quote to me. Messed up brain chemistry that you can't control can be a major reason why you feel unhappy.
Yup.
"Just pull yourself up by your bootstraps, you lazy footless cripple!"

Reactions: ithappens, Celerity and BlankUser
Gaybonez

Gaybonez

vegan jesus
Nov 30, 2020

So which is it? Are we responsible for others' happiness or not?
Half truth

P

Pallf

I'm tired
May 27, 2018
Reminds me of high school. Every morning, someone on the intercom would say "Have a good day, or not. The choice is yours." and I remember one morning while that was playing, some school official came into my class to let one of the students know that they lost a family member. I don't think they could've chose to have a good day after hearing about a death in the family.

Reactions: ncmxm, demuic, ithappens and 2 others
Celerity

Celerity

Jan 24, 2021
Reminds me of high school. Every morning, someone on the intercom would say "Have a good day, or not. The choice is yours." and I remember one morning while that was playing, some school official came into my class to let one of the students know that they lost a family member. I don't think they could've chose to have a good day after hearing about a death in the family.
This one grates. I absolutely hate that saying especially when, as your example shows, there are plenty of exceptions to go around. To be stoic in the face of pain is inhuman. We live in an inhuman society now that expects the impossible. It is no mystery why people are killing themselves in droves.

• Love
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, ncmxm, demuic and 2 others
BitterlyAlive_

BitterlyAlive_

-
Dec 8, 2020
Nah. I'm not responsible for anyone else's happiness, and they're not responsible for mine. That's just how I see it. And IMO people who condemn others for ctb like that are showing a significant lack of understanding.

Soulless Angel

Soulless Angel

Did someone say Rum?
Jul 6, 2020
I am responsible for my own happiness? So as a 37yr old women, I have to smile through a rape, smile through the trauma, smile through the flash backs and so forth? I have to turn that hell into a postiive and say *I am miserable because I control my happiness?*

Nah fuck off!!

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: ncmxm, Sprite_Geist, ithappens and 1 other person