Pryras

Pryras

Last hope
Feb 11, 2020
Followed by "you shouldn't have expections for people"

That was the last conversation I had with someone and I was mentioning what I thought was basic decency and something I "expect" from others In my life. He said there is no such thing and I shouldn't have ANY expectations on anyone.

I mean, I partially understand what he means by that but personally? I don't think it's a bad thing to have. I have standards and expectations in place to keep bad people out of my life, I only end up getting hurt when I have them for the wrong person.

what do you think? I appreciate all viewpoints

Reactions: lostangel and Tragoedia Vitae
GoBack

GoBack

Paragon
Apr 25, 2020
I think you can have your own standards for yourself but when you expect things of other people you could just get hurt. It's up to other people what standards they have for themselves. Maybe this makes no sense

Reactions: TheSoulless and Pryras
Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
I feel it's fine for you to distance yourself from people who don't meet your expectations - that's normal boundary-setting - but your friend is right that you'll meet way more people who *don't* meet your expectations and shouldn't have to try. That's fine and normal too.

Reactions: Tragoedia Vitae and Pryras
Pryras

Pryras

Last hope
Feb 11, 2020
I feel it's fine for you to distance yourself from people who don't meet your expectations - that's normal boundary-setting - but your friend is right that you'll meet way more people who *don't* meet your expectations and shouldn't have to try. That's fine and normal too.

i think that's what I was trying to get across to the person but couldn't find the proper words for it. It's my boundary of sorts, I don't expect people who aren't in my life to have them but as far as decency goes I do with people who are in it.

Reactions: Tragoedia Vitae
NekoNomNom

NekoNomNom

There is no right to heal the wrong
May 3, 2020
The last time I was told this, it was ten years ago by my son's dad. He met up with some girl he'd met over Myspace, and she told him that he has "no obligations to anybody but himself," because he was complaining to her about having to help take care of our two week old son. It effectively ruined what little relationship we had left.

I also had the expectation as a child that my own parents were supposed to love and protect me. That quickly stopped when I turned 7.

I know that it's fairly obvious that you should at least have *some* expectations from your parents, but in my experience, there are people who just don't understand that.

• Hugs
Reactions: Exitforme, Pryras and Tragoedia Vitae
nigelhernandez

nigelhernandez

Experienced
Apr 14, 2020
I think it goes in life with "the world owes you nothing". Which is sort of true but ones of those platitudes said in a malicious way.

What I find funny about this phrase is that it can be used to justify suicide. If the world doesn't owe you anything then I don't owe someone the continuation of my life just to spare them grief.

Reactions: Exitforme, BPD Barbie, Broken Chimera and 4 others
Deleted member 17949

Deleted member 17949

Visionary
May 9, 2020
It's kinda true kinda not. Yes we shouldn't expect people to do stuff for us, but we absolutely should expect respect and to not be made uncomfortable by people for no reason.

Reactions: Epsilon0
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
It's true. No one is obligated to do anything in life. We negotiate our duties based on complex social and biological needs. If we choose to have no obligations then we will lead a pointless existence. If we choose to have too many and expect them returned then we will be disappointed. There are no rules and no obligations other than what we choose.
So it's true and it's a good thing. It's the choice that has value. If there was unbreakable obligation then the choices we make would be worthless.

Reactions: Epsilon0 and GoBack