M

Moon2018

Apr 12, 2020
Good evening. Please tell me the way with a nitrogen cylinder. How many liters are needed. Do I need to regulate the flow? Will I be able to raise the cylinder to the fifth floor on my own? Please, links with detailed instructions.
Sorry for the bad translation, I am translating via google translator.

Reactions: Mare Tranquillitatis
W

WearyOfStruggling

Male, 54
May 23, 2020
Here's some info on how to determine the necessary size cylinder and fill pressure, etc.
The size of the cylinder required depends on the flow rate and how long the gas flow is required. To determine how long the gas will continue to flow, divide the actual uncompressed volume of gas in the cylinder by the flow rate, making sure the units are consistent. For instance, a "20 cu. ft." cylinder having a physical internal volume of 3.5 litres, pressurized to 2000 psi (138 bar), actually contains 477 litres (16.8 cu. ft.) of uncompressed gas. Then divide 477 l. by the flow rate, for instance 15 l/min., to get 31.8 min. Consult the references (PPeH, etc.) to decide if that is long enough.

IMO, it is important to use a flowmeter regulator that is calibrated for the gas being used to make sure the flow rate is accurate, especially if the cylinder is not overly large.

Here's an explanation of how to calculate the uncompressed volume in a cylinder of compressed gas.
Yes, the flow rate must be regulated. It is best to use a combination regulator flowmeter. Make sure it is calibrated for the gas being used so the flow rate is accurate.

Small cylinders are available that can be carried by hand up stairs and shipped by parcel shipping companies but are still large enough; for instance, the 20 cu ft size in the quoted post above.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mare Tranquillitatis