• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

E

emptyenvelopes

Jun 15, 2024
Hello, I really need some job advice. I had a career that I liked, but it paid very little with no opportunity for growth or raises. So I made a career change into a brand new field. This was a huge jump, I'm doing work
that's completely new to me and not what I got my degree in. The thing is… I really don't like the company I work for.

More than just dislike it, I have more stress with this new job than I did with the old one. I make more money with the new job, but I find the work less meaningful so I am overall more unhappy. I also feel guilty, I feel like I should be grateful for this new opportunity. But it's been six months and I feel like I should feel adjusted and used to it by now, but I don't.

My question is – should I go back to my old career that makes less money but I overall find more meaningful? Or should I suck it up in this new industry that I don't like because I make more money and I'm gaining new job experience that I can hopefully use to work somewhere else?

I know if I go back to my old career, there are plenty of jobs available. But I also feel a sense of shame for not succeeding at trying this new industry. I know it is very rare to love your job and be paid fairly, I'm not expecting anything unrealistic. I just want to make enough money to afford my basic needs and not carry the stress of work home with me every day.

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Trismegistus_13

Trismegistus_13

Refuses to give up hope
Jun 17, 2024
Hey there! Unfortunately I can't tell you which will make you happier in the end. I think this depends a lot on the circumstances. What are the two careers? Do you have a partner who works? What don't you like about the company?

For me, hearing "pays little, no room for growth" is an automatic dealbreaker regardless of how good the job is. I wouldn't find any satisfaction in that, and I think I would feel worse as time goes on because my regret would grow. I'm sure there are others who would love a relaxed job like that. Also, many jobs take more than 6 months to get comfortable with. I don't want to downplay your stress, as it must be pretty stressful. Do you think you would be able to handle the job in the longterm if your stress went down?

• Hugs
Reactions: emptyenvelopes
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
It's a difficult situation and you would have to find a balance that does not negatively affect you while still earning enough money for the way how you wanna live.

There's the thing if you don't like what you do and you do it only for money then that's not gonna make you happy either - in the worst case you may end up as a mental wreck. That's not worth it.

I just want to make enough money to afford my basic needs and not carry the stress of work home with me every day.
I think you answered it here. If your old job makes you happier and you're satisfied with your salary then go for it. You can always try sth new later!

• Hugs
Reactions: emptyenvelopes