• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

S

Shamana

Warlock
May 31, 2019
Pretty damning really. Giving drugs that increase the suicide in risk in well the patients most vulnerable to suicide? It wouldn't be accepted to give drugs that increase the risk of a heart attack in patients with heart disease so why are the standards so fucked up in psychiatry?

Reactions: KnightBlade, Cevapcici, Aardwolf and 4 others
Meretlein

Meretlein

Feb 15, 2019
They view us as less than human.

Reactions: KnightBlade, jake3d and Cevapcici
LogicalConclusion

LogicalConclusion

Experienced
Jun 2, 2019
"Dr James Davies, co-founder of CEP, says, 'It is known that antidepressants increase the risk of suicide among young people and adolescents, and for this reason their use is restricted among these patient groups."

Gee, thanks mom for putting me on loads of psychotropic medications when I was a suicidal child because of her abuse/abuse she allowed, which made me more suicidal, which made her angrier, which led to more medications...yeah, these things aren't a problem at all. Pretty well explains why I was re-hospitalized so many times after being put on new antidepressants while in the hospital. It's even more fun when they call you "attention-seeking" for re-presenting at the hospital suicidal when the medications they gave you made you worse :meh:

• Hugs
Reactions: jake3d, MiserableBastard1995, Oblivion Lover and 1 other person
S

Shamana

Warlock
May 31, 2019
"Dr James Davies, co-founder of CEP, says, 'It is known that antidepressants increase the risk of suicide among young people and adolescents, and for this reason their use is restricted among these patient groups."

Gee, thanks mom for putting me on loads of psychotropic medications when I was a suicidal child because of her abuse/abuse she allowed, which made me more suicidal, which made her angrier, which led to more medications...yeah, these things aren't a problem at all. Pretty well explains why I was re-hospitalized so many times after being put on new antidepressants while in the hospital. It's even more fun when they call you "attention-seeking" for re-presenting at the hospital suicidal when the medications they gave you made you worse :meh:

Yeah my GP and Psychiatrist had no problem prescribing me anti-depressants despite the black box warning that they increase suicide. When you're a psyc patient you feel kind of subhuman.

Reactions: LogicalConclusion
LifeIsNotFun

LifeIsNotFun

Mage
Jun 1, 2019
Is anyone shocked by Big Pharma? I'm not.

• Love
Reactions: KnightBlade, Ruffian, marcusuk63 and 3 others
Oblivion Lover

Oblivion Lover

No life, no suffering
May 30, 2019
I'm not sure if it's related, but my first suicide attempt was after I took antidepressants for two months and then switched to a stronger class of medication because the first wasn't having any effect. I've already stopped taking them for three months or more and I'm still suicidal, so either the effects are chronic or it I would still be suicidal even without taking those meds.

Reactions: jake3d
S

Shamana

Warlock
May 31, 2019
I'm not sure if it's related, but my first suicide attempt was after I took antidepressants for two months and then switched to a stronger class of medication because the first wasn't having any effect. I've already stopped taking them for three months or more and I'm still suicidal, so either the effects are chronic or it I would still be suicidal even without taking those meds.

Kind of depends on whether you have clear identifiable cause of suicidal thoughts also and if you had clear suicidal thoughts before.

There can be a lot of anxiety and stress associated with AD's just from thinking what the fuck is this doing to my brain and body and is it reversable?

T

TimeToDie

Mage
Jun 13, 2019
@Shamana Do MAOIs increase suicidal ideation? I think you had commented the other day that MAOIs were the only AD class worth trying. I would agree that Nardil & Parnate are worth trying, even though they failed me. Also, I wonder if TCAs increase suicidality. I'm well aware that TCAs were leading suicide drugs back in the day when they were in common use.

The only med that I've found to cause suicidal ideation is Abilify, which also causes substantial weight gain (30# in 3 months) even though when I took it in 2004 the drug company was still lying their ass off saying that it doesn't effect weight.

S

Shamana

Warlock
May 31, 2019
@Shamana Do MAOIs increase suicidal ideation? I think you had commented the other day that MAOIs were the only AD class worth trying. I would agree that Nardil & Parnate are worth trying, even though they failed me. Also, I wonder if TCAs increase suicidality. I'm well aware that TCAs were leading suicide drugs back in the day when they were in common use.

The only med that I've found to cause suicidal ideation is Abilify, which also causes substantial weight gain (30# in 3 months) even though when I took it in 2004 the drug company was still lying their ass off saying that it doesn't effect weight.

I honestly don't know. Selegine snorted/intranasal 1.25 mg is the only antidepressant i've tried that's been worth the bother. Increases dopamine, testosterone, increases boost from exercise, increases sex drive in some men unlike most AD's that just emotionally blunt you and castrate you. Selegine can cause insomnia though which is most negative side effect I got from it, but if you can treat that, then it's only AD i've personally tried so that I would recommend. You don't get withdrawels either when you stop. No brain zaps and all that shit.

Edit: according to wiki Selegine carries the black box warning for increased suicide ideation in people under 25, but I don't know if that's because they witnessed with selegine or they just apply it to all anti-depressants.

Last edited:
T

TimeToDie

Mage
Jun 13, 2019
Selegine snorted/intranasal 1.25 mg is the only antidepressant i've tried that's been worth the bother. Increases dopamine, testosterone, increases boost from exercise, increases sex drive in some men unlike most AD's that just emotionally blunt you and castrate you.
Have you tried Nardil & Parnate? Both have sexual side effects.

RM5998

RM5998

Sack of Meat
Sep 3, 2018
I'm wondering if this is a correlation, not causation. People who commit suicide are more likely to have been on antidepressants than people who don't. The study might be looking at the data from the wrong angle.

T

TimeToDie

Mage
Jun 13, 2019
I'm wondering if this is a correlation, not causation. People who commit suicide are more likely to have been on antidepressants than people who don't. The study might be looking at the data from the wrong angle.
That was my first thought too, but the study says "Adults who start treatment with antidepressants for depression are 2.5 times more likely to attempt suicide when compared to placebo.

Reactions: RM5998
D

deathenvoy

Experienced
Mar 29, 2019
Studies always compare group of people with depression that are on antidepressants and that are on placebo. People with depression that don't take AD are less suicidal.
From my experience I was much more suicidal on paroxetine than without it.

RM5998

RM5998

Sack of Meat
Sep 3, 2018
@TimeToDie @deathenvoy welp, missed that part...

Interesting... this seems to be using FDA archive data here. However, there seems to be no info on when these patients committed suicide. The paper itself admits that the cause is probably an adverse reaction to the drug/withdrawal, but still uses the phrase 'caused by ADs'. There seem to be a bunch of other factors related to the treatment schedule that could be the real causes, rather than the drug itself.

Reactions: cornflowerblue
cornflowerblue

cornflowerblue

Mage
Feb 18, 2019
@TimeToDie @deathenvoy welp, missed that part...

Interesting... this seems to be using FDA archive data here. However, there seems to be no info on when these patients committed suicide. The paper itself admits that the cause is probably an adverse reaction to the drug/withdrawal, but still uses the phrase 'caused by ADs'. There seem to be a bunch of other factors related to the treatment schedule that could be the real causes, rather than the drug itself.
It was within the first 4 weeks or after stopping, not when stabilized. The rate for antidepressant suicide was 0.1164% and placebo was 0.0397%. Attempts were higher but still both under 1%. Knowing those numbers changes how big of a deal the "2.5 times higher" risk is. The study is open access and linked at the bottom of the CDC page: https://www.karger.com/Article/Pdf/501215

Last edited:
RM5998

RM5998

Sack of Meat
Sep 3, 2018
It was within the first 4 weeks or after stopping, not when stabilized. The rate for antidepressant suicide was 0.1164% and placebo was 0.0397%. Attempts were higher but still both under 1%. Knowing those numbers changes how big of a deal the "2.5 times higher" risk is. The study is open access and linked at the bottom of the CDC page: https://www.karger.com/Article/Pdf/501215
Wasn't that quoted as the periods when most suicides can occur? It didn't specify that that was the period they tested. Neither have they stated how the groups of patients ended up after the treatment.

Even then, considering that the data is essentially collating a bunch of tests that have been conducted with sample sizes that seem too small to be usable, the result seems suspect. The errors of each individual sample won't exactly cancel out, right?

cornflowerblue

cornflowerblue

Mage
Feb 18, 2019
Wasn't that quoted as the periods when most suicides can occur? It didn't specify that that was the period they tested. Neither have they stated how the groups of patients ended up after the treatment.

Even then, considering that the data is essentially collating a bunch of tests that have been conducted with sample sizes that seem too small to be usable, the result seems suspect. The errors of each individual sample won't exactly cancel out, right?
It's not even a lit review or study, it's a letter to the editor. This is missing a LOT of information and isn't representing the data very accurately either. Example of how statistical significance isn't always related to clinical validity. If you play with the numbers enough, almost anything becomes statistically significant.

RM5998

RM5998

Sack of Meat
Sep 3, 2018
It's not even a lit review or study, it's a letter to the editor. This is missing a LOT of information and isn't representing the data very accurately either. Example of how statistical significance isn't always related to clinical validity. If you play with the numbers enough, almost anything becomes statistically significant.
Also, I just noticed that there's no control group data... this is literally some random people trying out their R packages for the first time and making a fuss about it.

cornflowerblue

cornflowerblue

Mage
Feb 18, 2019

The populations studied in the FDA trials also don't reflect the populations using antidepressants. The trials have so many exclusionary factors (no comorbid diagnoses allowed) and participants tend to be selected from hospitals or belong to a lower socioeconomic status. The trials also indicated that SSRIs help for moderate/severe depression, but in real life GPs prescribe them for mild. Lots and lots of issues here.
Also, I just noticed that there's no control group data... this is literally some random people trying out their R packages for the first time and making a fuss about it.
I have plenty of qualms with the FDA, don't get me wrong. But that doesn't mean anything anti-FDA is automatically exempt from scrutiny

RM5998

RM5998

Sack of Meat
Sep 3, 2018
The populations studied in the FDA trials also don't reflect the populations using antidepressants. The trials have so many exclusionary factors (no comorbid diagnoses allowed) and participants tend to be selected from hospitals or belong to a lower socioeconomic status. The trials also indicated that SSRIs help for moderate/severe depression, but in real life GPs prescribe them for mild. Lots and lots of issues here.

I have plenty of qualms with the FDA, don't get me wrong. But that doesn't mean anything anti-FDA is automatically exempt from scrutiny
So there's a chance that they also ignored the possibility of undiagnosed comorbid disorders worsening due to a certain drug. Or side-effects that led to suicide. Jeez, this gets worse every second you think about it.

cornflowerblue

cornflowerblue

Mage
Feb 18, 2019
So there's a chance that they also ignored the possibility of undiagnosed comorbid disorders worsening due to a certain drug. Or side-effects that led to suicide. Jeez, this gets worse every second you think about it.
Lol yeah it's pretty awful. If you're bored and want to play with the numbers yourself, you could look up the data. The authors just used public info that can be found on the FDA site without even making a special request.