Jun 1, 2022
  • Wow
  • Hugs
Reactions: Gonnerr, pthnrdnojvsc, Sweet Tart and 10 others
S

Seeking_Peace

Arcanist
May 18, 2022
New research shows nearly 70% of veterinarians have lost a colleague or peer to suicide and about six in 10 have sought professional help for their mental health.

Wonder how many used veterinary Nembutal.
I believe physicians and cops have the highest rate of suicide amongst professions. I agree, having knowledge, access, to N and other deadly drugs has a huge part to play in the suicides.
I'm more curious if they drank or injected it. They could probably set the IV themselves.

Reactions: Soy un perdedor, heavyeyes, y0dha and 2 others
chocolatebar

chocolatebar

Paragon
Jul 11, 2021
what a peculiar metric they've built... it's hard to compare with other professions or even say if it's high or low.

S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
New research shows nearly 70% of veterinarians have lost a colleague or peer to suicide and about six in 10 have sought professional help for their mental health.

Wonder how many used veterinary Nembutal.
I think it's tough for them because they typically care a lot about animals and have to pout a lot of animals down, sometimes animals who could live for a lot longer.

Reactions: kovu, Secrets1, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and 2 others
Hercules

Hercules

Arcanist
Jan 31, 2021
Wonder how many used veterinary Nembutal

In this study here, only 25 percent of the vets who committed suicide used Nembutal. It doesn't say what method the other 75 percent used.

"Her study reviewed death records for 202 veterinary professionals whose manner of death was characterized as suicide or undetermined intent from 2003 to 2014. Of the veterinarians who died by suicide, 25 percent used pentobarbital. In 72 percent of the veterinarians who died from pentobarbital poisoning, the death-related injury occurred at home."

• Informative
Reactions: Sweet Tart, heavyeyes, Euthanza and 2 others
chocolatebar

chocolatebar

Paragon
Jul 11, 2021

In this study here, only 25 percent of the vets who committed suicide used Nembutal. It doesn't say what method the other 75 percent used.

"Her study reviewed death records for 202 veterinary professionals whose manner of death was characterized as suicide or undetermined intent from 2003 to 2014. Of the veterinarians who died by suicide, 25 percent used pentobarbital. In 72 percent of the veterinarians who died from pentobarbital poisoning, the death-related injury occurred at home."
That one looks more interesting.

Method preference is something so strong and I've seen it documented in some studies. Even if some have what some people would consider the perfect method, they may prefer to use another.

H

hockeymum9999

Sep 16, 2021
I am a veterinarian and although I have not been in clinical practice for several years, I can tell you first hand the enormous amount of stress and compassion fatigue I faced. Vets do have one of the highest suicide rates. Although I won't be using veterinary nembutal because I no longer have access, I can see why that might be the drug of choice.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: IBM0000, Sweet Tart, nerfgun8 and 2 others
lofticries

lofticries

obedear
Feb 27, 2021
I am a veterinarian and although I have not been in clinical practice for several years, I can tell you first hand the enormous amount of stress and compassion fatigue I faced. Vets do have one of the highest suicide rates. Although I won't be using veterinary nembutal because I no longer have access, I can see why that might be the drug of choice.
How come you don't have access to it?

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
It does sound like such a tiring and stressful job being a vet, and to me it is not surprising that people decide to ctb if they have the option of N. We live in a world where there is so much suffering after all. I envy those who peacefully pass away, to me N sounds like the best way to die.

Reactions: myusername890 and longenough
A

Alex6216

Mage
Apr 19, 2022

N isn't the only drug used to euthanise animals, they probably used the other types of poison which they have access to.

L

lifehalffull

Apr 7, 2022
The first suicide in my graduating class that I knew of was the son of a veterinarian. His father, the vet, committed suicide exactly a week later. They had an uncommon last name, and when I searched it I found that it seemed to be overrepresented in suicides in the region where they were from and had family. Even found an obit for suicide that mentioned melancholia all the way back in the 1800s. It made me wonder if the veterinary profession, aside from being perhaps uniquely stressful, somehow selects for people who are already predisposed to suicide.

A

Alex6216

Mage
Apr 19, 2022
This alongside access to drugs that can easily kill a person is why suicide rates amongst vets are high. I don't even understand the point of being a vet, they earn less money than a doctor and it's harder too. I do wonder why suicide amongst pharmacists and doctors aren't ass high since they also should be able to have access to drugs which can kill if taken at a high dose.

S

sadboyhours:(

Feb 26, 2021
This alongside access to drugs that can easily kill a person is why suicide rates amongst vets are high. I don't even understand the point of being a vet, they earn less money than a doctor and it's harder too. I do wonder why suicide amongst pharmacists and doctors aren't ass high since they also should be able to have access to drugs which can kill if taken at a high dose.
I remember reading ages ago that doctors have the highest rates of suicide out of any profession, don't quote me on it I could be wrong though lmao. Many of them actually commit suicide at an old age though as they're scared of seeing their body degrade like they've seen with patients- would prefer a more clean death I suppose

J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
The fact that veterinarians commit suicide at such a high rate tells me, firstly, that their work is more stressful that one may believe at first glance. Secondly, it also gives me the impression that people are actually just looking for an exit out of this existence. I mean, is almost everyone secretly suicidal in this world..? In other words, Is the only barrier to suicide that one may not have any access to a means of committing suicide? It's just a thought that crossed my mind.

Reactions: tora, StolenLife, Deleted member 31858 and 1 other person
Euthanza

Euthanza

Self Righteous Suicide
Jun 9, 2022
The fact that veterinarians commit suicide at such a high rate tells me, firstly, that their work is more stressful that one may believe at first glance. Secondly, it also gives me the impression that people are actually just looking for an exit out of this existence. I mean, is almost everyone secretly suicidal in this world..? In other words, Is the only barrier to suicide that one may not have any access to a means of committing suicide? It's just a thought that crossed my mind.
Probably yes. That's why high profile individuals who seem to have almost everything at best while they're still on top of the world but commit suicide.

• Informative
Reactions: Julgran
L

Ligottian

Elementalist
Dec 19, 2021
I read an online story a few years ago about the high suicide rate of vets. It highlighted this one individual. He was an outstanding young doctor with a tremendous love of animals. He would sometimes weep at home about having to put his patients down. He was engaged to his partner. There was speculation that his high student loan debt could have played a role.

• Aww..
Reactions: Sweet Tart, heavyeyes and Deleted member 31858
endofafoxtwo

endofafoxtwo

silly red fox guy
May 1, 2023
The first suicide in my graduating class that I knew of was the son of a veterinarian. His father, the vet, committed suicide exactly a week later. They had an uncommon last name, and when I searched it I found that it seemed to be overrepresented in suicides in the region where they were from and had family. Even found an obit for suicide that mentioned melancholia all the way back in the 1800s. It made me wonder if the veterinary profession, aside from being perhaps uniquely stressful, somehow selects for people who are already predisposed to suicide.
My theory is that the type of person who would want to be a vet would be the type of person who would hate the state of the modern world. So like, correlation but not causal.
Nobody I have ever met went i to vet med for money. Getting into school for it is almost impossible and as you said its not a lucrative career. They do it because they want to help and comfort animals.

• Love
Reactions: lifeisbutadream, Walilamdzii, heavyeyes and 1 other person
dialogos

dialogos

Experienced
Jul 5, 2023
in some nations, euthanasia drugs for animals are closely monitored and even rationed to vets. they cant just stockpile it. there were even a few caught selling the shots for highs via homeservice

Reactions: nerfgun8
N

nerfgun8

Jun 7, 2023
Why no access to Nembutal?

H

hockeymum9999

Sep 16, 2021
Since last posting, I have gone back into clinical practice. It has been a steep learning curve after 11 years away and my anxiety is really bad. I work long hours, get paid shit all and take crap from unhappy clients that don't give a shit about anything but themselves. Luckily, the majority of my clients are wonderful. That being said, it has definitely taken its toll on my mental health, hence why I am back posting.

I have limited access to controlled drugs as they are in the main treatment area and are closely monitored. Every drop gets recorded, including pentobarbital (N).

• Hugs
Reactions: Sweet Tart, Per Ardua Ad Astra, Thalassa and 1 other person
Unattainable666

Unattainable666

Enlightened
Mar 31, 2023
I wonder why so many vets are ctb. I can see doctors closing shop early but why vets?

H

hockeymum9999

Sep 16, 2021
Compassion fatigue
Financial constraints
Nasty clients
Burnout

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: Sweet Tart, Thalassa and tora
tora

tora

lonelycity
Jun 11, 2023
that doesn't surprise me at all; my sister is a vet and she has a lot of really bad days where she has to put animals down and give bad news to their owners and deal with really shitty clients. they get paid a ton of money but I personally could never deal with how much stress that job has

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra and Forever Sleep
T

Thalassa

Jul 24, 2018
Since last posting, I have gone back into clinical practice. It has been a steep learning curve after 11 years away and my anxiety is really bad. I work long hours, get paid shit all and take crap from unhappy clients that don't give a shit about anything but themselves. Luckily, the majority of my clients are wonderful. That being said, it has definitely taken its toll on my mental health, hence why I am back posting.

I have limited access to controlled drugs as they are in the main treatment area and are closely monitored. Every drop gets recorded, including pentobarbital (N).
You are very much needed due to the current shortage of vets. I hope you will take care of your mental health through regular appointments with a good therapist, and if needed, a good psychiatrist for meds - assuming that care is available to you. *hugs*

Edit: I just reread your post and the "why I am back posting" part. If being a vet is making you feel suicidal, perhaps it is not for you and you should explore other job options? And if you feel that being a vet is really your only option right now that will pay the bills, then at the very least, you definitely should be seeing a *good* psychiatrist to find the right anti-depressant prescription for your physiology.

Last edited:
autistascetic

autistascetic

Mar 15, 2023
damn if only someone pushed me into becoming a vet and i didn't end up a useless hikikomori

• Love
Reactions: EndJstifiesTheMeans and Sweet Tart
EndJstifiesTheMeans

EndJstifiesTheMeans

Bad english, didn't go to school sorry
May 14, 2023
Lot of people want to do it, but lack of good method

Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc