Votes: 14 14.0%
  • Other

Votes: 33 33.0%

• Total voters
sugarb

sugarb

long time sunshine
Jun 14, 2024
I've read a few studies on the subject- autistic suicide is extremely common, as is suicide by depressed people for obvious reasons- but I'll be interested to see what the results are.

sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
ADHD, autism level 1, social anxiety. I actually disagree with my autism diagnosis but it got diagnosed once and then confirmed by another psychologist so…yeah lol. I'm probably just schizoid though tbh

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: lovedread, ijustwishtodie, heavyeyes and 1 other person
sugarb

sugarb

long time sunshine
Jun 14, 2024
Accidentally added anxiety twice. Woops… Just vote for it twice I guess 😅

• Yay!
  • Hugs
Reactions: ijustwishtodie, Lostandlooking, heavyeyes and 1 other person
aslank98

aslank98

Nov 12, 2021
ADHD, Autism, Depression and I voted for anxiety twice because I'm very anxious lol

Reactions: ijustwishtodie, Lostandlooking, heavyeyes and 2 others
H

Hotsackage

Paragon
Mar 11, 2019
Lets just say beyond medical standards

LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
Neurodivergence is a distinct concept from personality disorders or mental illness in general. So not all of those are really neurodivergence even if they're also mental abnormalities.

• Informative
Reactions: needsomeoptions, 3/4Dead, ijustwishtodie and 4 others
K

Kavka

Student
Jun 11, 2024
The correlation between autism (or elevated autistic traits) and suicide is just shocking. I really don't understand why this gets so little attention, especially in comparison to other conditions that have far less impact on quality-adjusted life years. I guess it's just too invisible and NT people have a hard time to imagine what it's like because of the double empathy problem.

• Aww..
Reactions: needsomeoptions, ijustwishtodie, Freedomatlast24 and 5 others
Dark Moon

Dark Moon

Wizard
Sep 21, 2022
Autism/Asperger Syndrome and depression, I might possibly have ADHD but I never got diagnosed for that.

Reactions: heavyeyes, sserafim and sugarb
LunarLight

LunarLight

i'm a loser, a failure
Apr 3, 2024
ADHD, autism, anxiety, depression, BPD, eating disorder and gender dysphoria for me.

Reactions: heavyeyes and sugarb
sugarb

sugarb

long time sunshine
Jun 14, 2024
Neurodivergence is a distinct concept from personality disorders or mental illness in general. So not all of those are really neurodivergence even if they're also mental abnormalities.
Noted. probably should've titled it "Neurodivergence/mental illness poll"

Reactions: heavyeyes
failure383

failure383

Student
Jul 2, 2024
You forgot psychosis/schizophrenia

Reactions: sugarb and heavyeyes
WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit

I'm late, i'm late. For a very important date.
Feb 12, 2019
I have situational depression around being sick and in pain. Before this, I guess I was just normal. A normie if you will.

• Aww..
Reactions: heavyeyes and sugarb
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
Autism/Asperger Syndrome and depression, I might possibly have ADHD but I never got diagnosed for that.
Idk why they changed Asperger's to autism level 1 and lumped it in with the autism spectrum (in America)

Reactions: ijustwishtodie and Dark Moon
sugarb

sugarb

long time sunshine
Jun 14, 2024
The correlation between autism (or elevated autistic traits) and suicide is just shocking. I really don't understand why this gets so little attention, especially in comparison to other conditions that have far less impact on quality-adjusted life years. I guess it's just too invisible and NT people have a hard time to imagine what it's like because of the double empathy problem.
There're incredibly disturbing statistics on this.

Seeing as there are over 5 million diagnosed adult autistics (probably a lot more undiagnosed) in the US, the issue isn't that it's a rare disorder. I imagine it's a mixture of the double empathy problem (as you said) and many people finding autistics offputting or disgusting. There's a lot of subtly anti-autistic stuff out there if you look; stereotypes, ridicule of certain subcultures, etc.

• Aww..
Reactions: heavyeyes
justwannadip

justwannadip

it's still raining
May 27, 2024
You should do one but add OCD, schizophrenia (or just psychotic disorders) and body dysmorphia. I'd be interested in seeing that. Also ptsd or cptsd could be added as well.

Reactions: failure383 and heavyeyes
sugarb

sugarb

long time sunshine
Jun 14, 2024
You should do one but add OCD, schizophrenia (or just psychotic disorders) and body dysmorphia. I'd be interested in seeing that. Also ptsd or cptsd could be added as well.
Will do

Reactions: heavyeyes and justwannadip
glossble

glossble

homesick ⭒
Apr 14, 2023
ADHD, BPD, depression, anxiety, eating disorder + OCD. I can pretty much handle the rest, but BPD, which is untreatable. I can't take the amount of pain my BPD causes me. I'm simply not made for this world I guess 💔 (。•́︿•̀。)

• Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: sugarb, heavyeyes and justwannadip
justwannadip

justwannadip

it's still raining
May 27, 2024
ADHD, BPD, depression, anxiety, eating disorder + OCD. I can pretty much handle the rest, but BPD, which is untreatable. I can't take the amount of pain my BPD causes me. I'm simply not made for this world I guess 💔 (。•́︿•̀。)
Literally same. OCD on its own is one of the most agonizing and debilitating disorders on its own, but bpd just makes it impossible. Its awful. I have the same diagnoses as you just replace eating disorder with body dysmorphia and add tourettes.

• Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: sugarb, heavyeyes and glossble
glossble

glossble

homesick ⭒
Apr 14, 2023
Literally same. OCD on its own is one of the most agonizing and debilitating disorders on its own, but bpd just makes it impossible. Its awful. I have the same diagnoses as you just replace eating disorder with body dysmorphia and add tourettes.
OCD + BPD is a hellish combo. It doesn't help that one of the symptoms of BPD is paranoia/suspicious thoughts, which makes OCD much worse 😥
I'm sorry you're going through this too, sending you virtual hugs ♡

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: justwannadip, sugarb and heavyeyes
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
There're incredibly disturbing statistics on this.

Seeing as there are over 5 million diagnosed adult autistics (probably a lot more undiagnosed) in the US, the issue isn't that it's a rare disorder. I imagine it's a mixture of the double empathy problem (as you said) and many people finding autistics offputting or disgusting. There's a lot of subtly anti-autistic stuff out there if you look; stereotypes, ridicule of certain subcultures, etc.
In absolute numbers it's not that rare (and pretty common as far as life-ruining conditions go) but percentage-wise it is still very much a tiny minority. The autistic way of being is also just so completely alien.

Last edited:
Reactions: sugarb
Lost in a Dream

Lost in a Dream

He/him - Metal head
Feb 22, 2020
ADHD and Bipolar definitely, but autism maybe. I don't have a formal diagnosis for either, but I know that I've always been a defective mess my whole life. I'm tired of dealing with this crap.

• Hugs
sugarb

sugarb

long time sunshine
Jun 14, 2024
Draft of poll #2:

Neurodivergence/mental illness poll v2

OCD
Schizophrenia
Body dysmorphia
Gender dysphoria
PTSD
CPTSD
NPD
ADHD
BPD
Autism
Tourettes
Anxiety
Social Anxiety
Agoraphobia
Depression
Eating disorder
Bipolar
Other
None

Look good?

Last edited:
Reactions: justwannadip and heavyeyes
Dark Moon

Dark Moon

Wizard
Sep 21, 2022
Idk why they changed Asperger's to autism level 1 and lumped it in with the autism spectrum (in America)
I think it's because they're very similar and health professionals didn't want to distinguish the two from each other.

Reactions: 3/4Dead and sugarb
heavyeyes

heavyeyes

Oct 9, 2022
Draft of poll #2:

Neurodivergence/mental illness poll v2

OCD
Schizophrenia
Body dysmorphia
Gender dysphoria
PTSD
CPTSD
NPD
ADHD
BPD
Autism
Tourettes
Anxiety
Depression
Eating disorder
Bipolar
Other
None

Look good?
Social anxiety and agoraphobia?

U

Unspoken7612

Jul 14, 2024
Not all neurodivergences are personality disorders or mental illnesses, but all personality disorders and mental illnesses are neurodivergence.

ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
Autism and social anxiety.
In addition to this, I think that another reason why autism has so little attention is because of how everybody in society believes that the only type of autistic person to exist are the ones who are hyper genius savant with the social awkwardness. That probably makes them think that autism isn't as bad as it actually is.

Alternatively, I thought of another reason in mind. This reason being that, if they were to focus on autistic people killing themselves, people would recognise some dark truths about society. Most autistic people show as to why society is wrong and also how the system is shitty. Normies need to keep their delusions in check to continue wage slaving but seeing autistic people kill themselves over the system being shitty would shatter their delusions

Reactions: xxpinkmoonglitterxx, sugarb and sserafim
sugarb

sugarb

long time sunshine
Jun 14, 2024
Autism and social anxiety.

In addition to this, I think that another reason why autism has so little attention is because of how everybody in society believes that the only type of autistic person to exist are the ones who are hyper genius savant with the social awkwardness. That probably makes them think that autism isn't as bad as it actually is.

Alternatively, I thought of another reason in mind. This reason being that, if they were to focus on autistic people killing themselves, people would recognise some dark truths about society. Most autistic people show as to why society is wrong and also how the system is shitty. Normies need to keep their delusions in check to continue wage slaving but seeing autistic people kill themselves over the system being shitty would shatter their delusions
On that second point-

Most people don't want to admit they'd sneer at a weird, lower-functioning autistic kid stimming in the back of the class. You see it all the time in schools- shared glances, snickers, etc.

The US is (thankfully) at a point culturally where outright saying "you're a genetic defect" to the disabled and neurodivergent is generally frowned upon, but you can still say "you're a weirdo" just fine.

I'm honestly not sure how many NTs would care if every ND suddenly dropped off the face of the earth.

Reactions: xxpinkmoonglitterxx