NeverEndingPain

NeverEndingPain

So tired of struggling
May 8, 2022
I am a landlord with 3 rental units.
I live on the property. I inherited this place when my mom died. I am alone with no help and no one to take care of things if I am not here.
My mental health is so bad right now and I know that I will be admitted to the psych ward at any time. I am in really bad shape. I can't function and can barely take care of myself. I'm too scared to ctb. That had been my option but now I am facing hospitalization for what I think will be a long time.
How to I get myself help if I have to be here to keep the building running and bills paid? I will lose my home if I am put away in hospital.
How do you get help for yourself when there are other things that only you know how to take care of ? 😭😭😭
I'm not even mentally able to be a landlord or to cope with the building in my condition. What would happen to the tenants if me … their landlord is in a nut house ?! 😭

• Hugs
Reactions: Shivali and Dead Ghost
Dead Ghost

Dead Ghost

Mestre del Temps
May 6, 2022
Don't you have anyone you can trust (including the SaSu people) to ask to help you carry the building?. Unfortunately I can't, otherwise I would be there supporting you in whatever way I could.

//

No tens ningú en qui puguis confiar ( incloc la gent de SaSu) per demanar que t'ajudi a portar l'edifici?. Jo malauradament no puc, sino ja sería allà fen-te costat en el que pogués.

Reactions: Shivali
NeverEndingPain

NeverEndingPain

So tired of struggling
May 8, 2022
Don't you have anyone you can trust (including the SaSu people) to ask to help you carry the building?. Unfortunately I can't, otherwise I would be there supporting you in whatever way I could.

//

No tens ningú en qui puguis confiar ( incloc la gent de SaSu) per demanar que t'ajudi a portar l'edifici?. Jo malauradament no puc, sino ja sería allà fen-te costat en el que pogués.
No I don't have anyone

• Aww..
Reactions: Dead Ghost
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
In my area people usually use real estate agents for this purpose. They take a small commision but take care of all the details.

Reactions: Venus13
Venus13

Venus13

Experienced
Oct 2, 2022
Do you think you'll be hospitalized for more than a couple weeks? Does the facility you plan to visit have long-term admission extending past 3-4 weeks? I would discuss this with a therapist first. They can help you go over some practical concerns and planning.

The passive income will hold you up a bit financially. Do you have wages and a job you're worried about? Just stay extremely pragmatic and do what you can. Put whatever bills possible on autopay, let whichever bills fall into late payments if you stay up to 6 weeks and discharge from there. The big thing here is really lost wages. I'm not sure if that's a concern, it wasn't mentioned. If not, the bills and potential repairs isn't too big of an issue.

I would tell the tenants to hold the rent payment and if any repair is needed while you're away to use the rent money and provide receipts when you return. The possibility of anything major that needs immediate need above the amount of the rent payment is pretty low. Actually, it's very unlikely any repair will be needed but there's a small chance of a spotaneous issue.

I don't think tenants care about the personal life of landlords. They gossip, who doesn't, but it doesn't matter what medical needs you're taking care of and it's none of their business. For reference I own a rental property and live here. I know the current tenants on a personal basis, but when we had strangers I wouldn't tell them anything. I'd put the mortgage on autopay, tell them I'm taking care of personal needs, hold the rent and I'll be back around this date to collect. Any repairs needed for plumbing or heat or anything else, go ahead and call someone in and use the rent. Just give me a receipt.

This situation is feasible for up to a month or so without the concern of lost wages though. If you're potentially losing your job or active income it becomes almost impossible to stay more than a week or two. Might still be worth a visit, a lot of release can occur in 14 days away from normal life.

• Yay!
Reactions: Dead Ghost
Grav

Grav

Wizard
Jul 26, 2020
Not sure of your area but there are real estate management companies that handle maintenance and things like that for a fee. A real estate agent will probably know of some since they themselves aren't mowing lawns or fixing things on houses that are being sold unoccupied. The tenants don't need to know anything you don't want to tell them, even if being hospitalized, and a statement like "I'll be away for a while" covers it; you just have to figure how you want to handle payments and such. A real estate management company may also be able to handle rent collection and deposits of the money I would think, probably not if you're using "discount Lou's cheap-o building management" company.

N

noaccount

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2019
Yes short term you can probably hire a property manager.

Longer term you could see if the tenants are interested in turning the building into a cooperative. It sounds like an incredible amount of stress to have to be the person taking care of everyone's stuff for the whole building like that, I can't imagine. :(

M

macrocosm

Apr 3, 2023
I am a landlord with 3 rental units.
I live on the property. I inherited this place when my mom died. I am alone with no help and no one to take care of things if I am not here.
My mental health is so bad right now and I know that I will be admitted to the psych ward at any time. I am in really bad shape. I can't function and can barely take care of myself. I'm too scared to ctb. That had been my option but now I am facing hospitalization for what I think will be a long time.
How to I get myself help if I have to be here to keep the building running and bills paid? I will lose my home if I am put away in hospital.
How do you get help for yourself when there are other things that only you know how to take care of ? 😭😭😭
I'm not even mentally able to be a landlord or to cope with the building in my condition. What would happen to the tenants if me … their landlord is in a nut house ?! 😭
You can engage a property management company. There are tons of them. They take a small percentage. They can handle the vast majority of the properties and tenants needs while you work on yourself