GentleJerk

GentleJerk

Carrot juice pimp.
Dec 14, 2021
I have some thoughts about so called 'natural death'.

this comes up a lot especially in suicide discussion, because a good chunk of people say death by suicide is 'unnatural'. On closer inspection, many 'natural causes' of death aren't natural at all.

My grandfather is accepted to have died from cancer, a so-called natural cause of death. He was walking around and doing ok despite the diagnosis, before being treated aggressively with radiation and chemotherapy that completely destroyed his health... There's also the matter of very high rates of cancer in the area where he grew up, due to water contamination from the poisons used in local plantations- 2 out of 3 people in these towns developed cancer. Not natural at all.

In his last days, for pain relief the doctors gave him huge doses of NSAIDs known to cause kidney failure, also paracetamol (what Americans call acetaminophen) that damages the liver and kills many people every year. His cause of death was listed as acute renal failure. I believe the cancer treatments ultimately took his life, but cancer would likely have killed him eventually, only much more slowly. Unless something else happened first.

If an elderly lady dies from kidney disease, they say it's death by natural causes. Never mind the Methotrexate for her rheumatoid arthritis!

I think most causes of death are unnatural. I would argue that true completely natural causes of death are quite rare. Like death by animal, lightning strikes and natural disasters, a poisonous mushroom....

What makes a death natural or not? What do you think?

D&D

D&D

Write something, even if it’s just a suicide note.
Dec 3, 2021
When people refer to suicide as 'unnatural death' what they mean is that self-inflicted death is not natural. That ending one life is not 'natural.' I never thought like that. Because everyone dies, death is inevitable and therefore 'natural' part of life. Only the roads we travel to arrived there differ. There is nothing more 'natural' or 'unnatural' about death in a car crash, heart attack, cancer treatments, etc. than it is from suicide. What differs, and differs greatly is how society reacts to those deaths. Death can't care less for any of it. She takes everyone ... the ultimate equalizer.

• Love
Reactions: Lost in a Dream, Callie Arcale, height jumper 69 and 1 other person
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
I wouldn't have survived beyond a few days on this planet if it weren't for asthma medications, so in a way my whole life is unnatural.

• Yay!
Reactions: GentleJerk
GentleJerk

GentleJerk

Carrot juice pimp.
Dec 14, 2021
When people refer to suicide as 'unnatural death' what they mean is that self-inflicted death is not natural. That ending one life is not 'natural.' I never thought like that. Because everyone dies, death is inevitable and therefore 'natural' part of life. Only the roads we travel to arrived there differ. There is nothing more 'natural' or 'unnatural' about death in a car crash, heart attack, cancer treatments, etc. than it is from suicide. What differs, and differs greatly is how society reacts to those deaths. Death can't care less for any of it. She takes everyone ... the ultimate equalizer.
thank you, that's a very good way to put it and an interesting thought.
I wouldn't have survived beyond a few days on this planet if it weren't for asthma medications, so in a way my whole life is unnatural.
So good! This gave me good chortle :)

• Hugs
Reactions: D&D and Pluto