• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

MeltingBrain

MeltingBrain

Mage
May 29, 2023
Have you ever seen a movie everyone drooled over but you thought it was way over-rated or straight up bad . Please give an explanation and attach the trailer link if you can.
Let me start -
The prestige .
Spoliers:
The plot twist of there being a clone was trite. The machine invention which produces duplicate objects, was being used for stupid magic tricks instead of solving more consequential problems in the world. An idea only a 12 year old can come up with . Acting was okayish nothing great .

Reactions: voyager
carac

carac

"and if this is the end, i am glad i met you."
May 27, 2023
I actually really liked The Prestige, didn't think it was over-rated at all. I agree that the insertion of the tesla machine was pretty awkward, I did enjoy the acting.

I thought Avatar was really over-rated, I just couldn't connect with any of the character and the plot was pretty formulaic and rather uninteresting.

MeltingBrain

MeltingBrain

Mage
May 29, 2023
I thought Avatar was really over-rated, I just couldn't connect with any of the character and the plot was pretty formulaic and rather uninteresting.
I loved avatar because of its visuals but I agree that the plot was very typical . Man attacks tribe . Tribe attacks man . Tribe wins .

voyager

voyager

Don't you dare go hollow...
Nov 25, 2019
The following is a bit long, so thanks for reading and your time. 🙂

Mmh, I remember "The Prestige" and actually liked the movie for the most part but I could never get around that end, it was so disappointing. Would've much preferred there not to be a machine, because one, as the audience, was willing to believe in magic at the end, depsite knowing we shouldn't, and that beauty in suspension of disbelief was discarded with the machine plot device. It felt like a cop-out.

Think I'm gonna get in trouble here, because I'm probably too dumb for the following and really don't enjoy overuse of symbolism, plus, my reasoning's bland and might tread on some people's favourite films, apologies, but anyway:

There will be Blood - I thought it was utterly boring and didn't enjoy the atmosphere on a whole. DDL may be a good actor but I'd rather watch "The Crucible" then. "Don't take my naaaame" *snot*. Really much better film to/for me.

No Country for Old Men - It has it's moments and very unique feel, the acting's good and I do appreciate the style and narration, love deserts and the calm, but do feel it's overrated on a whole.

Uuh, just see now, Avatar, haha. Didn't think this movie was being taken seriously, but yes, it's a joke for reasons named. As an avid gamer I thought the CGI was piss poor and it's overuse ruins many films nowadays. Cameron has gotten extremely lazy since Titanic and making all that money. Pity (loved Aliens and the first Terminator).

Oh, and Titanic is technically brilliant, but the whole love story is the most cringeworthy thing I've ever seen "take me to the stars, Jack". I also felt that having a real person who had actually been there and died that night, as in First Officer Murdoch, being bribed by a fictional character was highly insensitive and insulting to his memory. Especially since he got out the vast proportion (think 70%) of the mere 712 survivors that night. Woud've sued Cameron's ass into oblivion for that.

Absolutely loved the first Lord of the Rings movie, Fellowship of the Ring. To me it's an almost perfect movie, which creates an entire world for the audience to delve into. It's beautiful in so many ways. The two sequels were no where near as good. Of course, there were some great parts too, but also a lot of cringeworthy overly dramatic scenes, which the first movie didn't have. I never read the books, but feel it was handled poorly.

Am not a too bigga fan of David Lynch movies. Yes, I'm sorry, but while I appreciate movies feeling like a dream, those never did it for me.

There's plenty of movies which get hyped up for commercial purposes and they'll always tell one how amazing and life-altering it is, and everyone goes wild and beats any criticism down, and then a few years later you see the movie rating dropping considerably on these sites.... well, well.... who would've thought?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MeltingBrain
tiger b

tiger b

AI without the I
Oct 24, 2023
'Everything Everywhere All At Once'. I only got halfway through. I just detested it. I don't think anything worked in it. I found it to be utterly stupid and annoying. I don't want to even dignify it with a proper dissection. In theory it should have been my bag...but it wasn't. Apologies if someone else likes it.

• Yay!
Reactions: MeltingBrain
voyager

voyager

Nov 25, 2019
Extremely unpopular opinion: 2001. Boring. Pretentious. I said it, obviously I know nothing about cinema, go ahead and rip me to shreds.
I won't. I do like some of that movie, e.g. the solitude. The scene where the spaceship flies out to Jupiter is beautiful and the whole theme on evolution and AI a worthy one. Plus, it was inspirational to many and technically amazing for it's time. BUT, do agree that Kubrick is sometimes blatantly overrated. 2001 can really drag it out a bit and while everyone will laud how much of a perfectionist he was, obnoxiously so, sometimes taking 100 takes on a single scene, one can still find glaring gaffes in his work just as in any other film.

Reactions: I Can't Say
I Can't Say

I Can't Say

Oct 21, 2023
@voyager I'm not going to fight you on any of that. There are certainly good things that can be said about the movie. If people weren't so overboard about it, I guess I wouldn't call it overrated.

voyager

voyager

Nov 25, 2019
Yes, definitely agree with you. I love scifi, but honestly, when I think of 2001 there's one half of me appreciating the movie for it's strong suits and another reminiscing on watching paint dry. Sometimes less is more.

Have thought of another three which I at least consider highly overrated;

Million Dollar Baby - to me it's rubbish. In reality there was a German female champion boxer at the time, who was cute and amiable, in the movie though she's indirectly portrayed and defamed with some vile innuendoes as an East German (~with all the clichés on both), former prostitute, who of course fights dirty beating the main character into a pulp who then dies. Aww, so sad. It's funny though, because a few years later Clint Eastwood also made...

Gran Torino - a rather cliché film on how racism and prejudice is bad. Err, yeah, but that didn't seem to bother you above. Prefer his westerns and Dirty Harry stuff.

Boy A - This is actually a good film, if one sees it as work of fiction. It's basically about a boy who killed another child as a kid and his experience being released back into the world, yearning for normality while trying to come to terms with his past and of course avoiding detection for his crimes. Problem here is it is based on a real case, the murder of two year old James Bulger by two older kids in 1993, and is therefore unforgivable in portraying the perpetrators in such a victimised manner. Especially since one has been in out of the justice system several times since for pedophilic material, which was a theme in the murder.

Cage

Cage

Unwitting Baas
Sep 18, 2023
Parasite (2019)

Stupid communist propaganda garbage

Edit: idk why I said 2016, my bad

Last edited:
  • Yay!
Reactions: voyager and tiger b
MeltingBrain

MeltingBrain

Mage
May 29, 2023
Million Dollar Baby - to me it's rubbish. In reality there was a German female champion boxer at the time, who was cute and amiable, in the movie though she's indirectly portrayed and defamed with some vile innuendoes as an East German (~with all the clichés on both), former prostitute, who of course fights dirty beating the main character into a pulp who then dies. Aww, so sad. It's funny though, because a few years later Clint Eastwood also made..
Million dollar baby in my book was a fantastic film . The scene where she falls on the stool and breaks her neck, the heartbreak that follows and the merciful death in the end were very well captured.

• Hugs
voyager

voyager

Nov 25, 2019
I liked Gran Torino a lot 😄
Whoops. :hihi:

Hahah, knew I'd get into trouble. My apologies. :hug:

It's all good though. Like or dislike is often a purely subjective thing. For instance people loved "The Witcher 3", I didn't get into it at all, but of course realise it's a great game.
Million dollar baby in my book was a fantastic film . The scene where she falls on the stool and breaks her neck, the heartbreak that follows and the merciful death in the end were very well captured.
I only saw it once and would agree on the scene per se, but for me to truly value a film it has to be pure, you know? Don't mind minor issues, just don't shove it in my face and noticed the correlation at the time. Many people probably won't know "The Rookie" (1990), with and by Clint Eastwood. Originally, it was Hispanic gangsters and the cast represented such, but then, with the fall of the Berlin Wall, Clint rewrote all antagonists as German. It was ridiculous. So, when he then makes a film slagging off prejudice and racism to me it oozes hypocrisy.

I'll never get that about Eastwood, since one thing I really liked about him was that he was a pioneer when it came to displaying natives and other peoples in a decent manner in his westerns, back when most thought it was okay to massacre the savages.

Red's character in "The Shawshank Redemption" was actually Irish in the book, they play on that in the film by making a joke on it and it works. And yet, people have sometimes criticised this decision, wanting there to be more depth to his racial background. Err, why ruin a perfectly good film dealing with another theme?

The film United 93 was actually really good, if it hadn't suddenly portrayed a "European" going as far as fighting the American passengers willing to storm the cockpit and thereby protecting the terrorists. There is no evidence for this at all and since it's based on true events this depiction can only refer to one person aboard that flight. Again, as mentioned with Titanic, if I was a relative I'd sue them. Especially, since this is contemporary history and bound to hurt someone.

Noticed no one has defended "There will be Blood" yet. Didn't think I'd get away with that, because it's probably the highest rated film I slagged off. 😄

NewtBoy

NewtBoy

Nov 7, 2023
Parasite (2016)

Stupid communist propaganda garbage
I mean… it's definitely left leaning and critical of the wealthy, but I wouldn't necessarily call those things communist. While the ending somewhat absolves the poor family of their actions, I thought most of the film treated both families' actions as a gray area, and left it up to the viewer whether or not they were justified. Why would you say it's communist? Also I thought the filmmaking and acting was fantastic, despite the themes.

sserafim

sserafim

the darker the night, the brighter the stars
Sep 13, 2023
I haven't watched any of them but I feel like any of the movies in the Disney franchise are super overrated. I used to hear about people rave about The Mandalorian and I honestly just hate corporations like Disney.

Last edited: