Arvinneedstodie

Arvinneedstodie

Existing is not living
Sep 17, 2018
As I'm typing this, my upstair neighbors are doing their nightly walking, stumping, and whatever they're doing really hard on the thin wooden floor. Its really hard to describe what they're doing, but its strange and very disturbing. They do this from around 10PM to 12PM noon the next day.

I am literally going crazy because of this. I tried to talk to them but they just play stupid and continue their disturbance. I tried to talk to the management of the apartment building, but the management lady tries to downplay my compliant and sees me as the problem for complianting. I was told that as long as its not music or partying nosies, then its just normal noise.

What can I do at this point? I'm a suicidal person to begin with, but with this? I am starting to have some really hateful thoughts now. The world is fking against me and it feels like I have no way of fighting back.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, Zhontafly, Zorya and 8 others
pthnrdnojvsc

pthnrdnojvsc

Extreme Pain is much worse than people know
Aug 12, 2019
As I'm typing this, my upstair neighbors are doing their nightly walking, stumping, and whatever they're doing really hard on the thin wooden floor. Its really hard to describe what they're doing, but its strange and very disturbing. They do this from around 10PM to 12PM noon the next day.

I am literally going crazy because of this. I tried to talk to them but they just play stupid and continue their disturbance. I tried to talk to the management of the apartment building, but the management lady tries to downplay my compliant and sees me as the problem for complianting. I was told that as long as its not music or partying nosies, then its just normal noise.

What can I do at this point? I'm a suicidal person to begin with, but with this? I am starting to have some really hateful thoughts now. The world is fking against me and it feels like I have no way of fighting back.
Yeah living in an apartment or condo can be hell. life would be a million times better if i could have an independent house with at least a block away from other people. still wouldn't make life worth living for me but it would be a million times better than the absolute hell of having selfish evil idiots torturing you with their noise. And it's just a helpless feeling. i'd like to kick their ass but then i'd just go to prison which would be even worse for me

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, Meditation guide, Superdeterminist and 5 others
AmDead

AmDead

早く死にたい
Aug 20, 2020
I know wearing noise cancellers are a real pain in your own home, but are they an option? What about playing music through speakers? You could play it loud enough to drown some of their noise, or loud to make a statement?

Reactions: BPD Barbie, FriendofDeath and Arvinneedstodie
I

IrRegularjoe

Apr 8, 2020
Can you ask management to let you switch apartments if available. Could management come to your apartment and see the problem for themselves.

Reactions: FriendofDeath and Arvinneedstodie
Arvinneedstodie

Arvinneedstodie

Existing is not living
Sep 17, 2018
Can you ask management to let you switch apartments if available. Could management come to your apartment and see the problem for themselves.
I live in a coop owned by my mother, not a rental, so I don't think we can change units like rentals. I invited the management lady to come and listen, but she refused and told me to record, and at that point I hanged up the phone on her. Her whole attitude right from the start was im the problem.

I know wearing noise cancellers are a real pain in your own home, but are they an option? What about playing music through speakers? You could play it loud enough to drown some of their noise, or loud to make a statement?
I tried to use ear plugs, but it only blocks out some of the sounds but not the loud stumps or the virbation. I tried to play background nosies or mediation music to help me sleep, but I just can't focus. One loud stump and I'm up cursing, punching myself in the head. I have to exhaust myself before I can fall asleep.

I

IrRegularjoe

Apr 8, 2020
What about sleeping with a fan or an air purifier.

Reactions: FriendofDeath and Arvinneedstodie
AmDead

AmDead

早く死にたい
Aug 20, 2020
Have you talked to your mother about this? Maybe she could change the management lady's attitude? This whole situation sounds like shit. Sorry you have to go through this :'(

Reactions: Arvinneedstodie
Arvinneedstodie

Arvinneedstodie

Existing is not living
Sep 17, 2018
Have you talked to your mother about this? Maybe she could change the management lady's attitude? This whole situation sounds like shit. Sorry you have to go through this :'(
I have talked to my mother about this for months. She doesn't know what to know either. All I can do is vent to her like I'm venting here, but I truly feel like I'm in a hopeless position. I don't have the money to move out, I spent a lot of time and money furnishing this apartment. I'm struggling with life to begin with, and since those neighbors moved in, now im being tortured in my own home.

AmDead

AmDead

早く死にたい
Aug 20, 2020
I have talked to my mother about this for months. She doesn't know what to know either. All I can do is vent to her like I'm venting here, but I truly feel like I'm in a hopeless position. I don't have the money to move out, I spent a lot of time and money furnishing this apartment. I'm struggling with life to begin with, and since those neighbors moved in, now im being tortured in my own home.
Yikes! Did not know this has been going on for months.
Have you tried recording the noise? You should amplify the noise and then send it to the management lady like she asked.

GerMann

GerMann

year of birth: 1972
Nov 30, 2018
I was in the same position, and I got serious ill from this. Move out, Money lost is not worth your live. The best active noise canceler is the Sony WH-1000XM3 /or 4 headphone at the moment.

Reactions: GoneGoneGone and Arvinneedstodie
FriendofDeath

FriendofDeath

Elementalist
May 22, 2020
It reminds me of one of those freaky Geico commercials (I think it's them). The family that taps together? Do you work during the day? This can be having a direct effect on you earning a living. Guess they have no quiet hours? Ugh! I like the idea of using a fan or even white noise. I use a fan myself. So sorry you are going through this. I would record it. It is torture at some point. Any way to soundproof the roof, even though you shouldn't have to?

E

EternalDarkness

Jul 26, 2020
Many streamers use some kind of noice cancelling plates so they can record better. I think they are also called sound absorber. You could nail them at the ceiling. Maybe this helps a bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoneGoneGone and Disco Biscuit
RedDEE

RedDEE

Life sucks and then you die.
May 10, 2019
I know what you mean man. It's the little things in life that make me want to CTB.

Just lost my job? No big deal. Just ripped a hole in my favorite jeans? Time to kill myself!

• Wow
Reactions: lovelyheartz, Arvinneedstodie and Homecoming
E

Emily123

Arcanist
May 28, 2019
Once I was in a hotel and someone was drunk and shouting at mid night . First I told him respectfully that it was midnight and his voice was too loud and I couldn't sleep . He pretend that he didn't listen . Then I shouted at him as loud as i could and i told him that he needed to shout up or face the consequences . this is how i made him quiet . Some people don't understand their limits . This how i speak to them

Zorya

Zorya

Aug 21, 2020

Hit back harder. I have few cool ideas but can't post them in public because I'll get banned.

N

nurplexkid

Oct 27, 2018

I went through the same thing and found that the law was on their side. Society doesn't value peace and quiet. In the end, i moved in with my abusive parents to escape the constant banging above me but it was a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire. So now i find myself here. For what it's worth i empathize.

• Hugs
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics and Arvinneedstodie
Scooby-Doo

Scooby-Doo

Student
Oct 10, 2019
Id be off my head with that shit. Once you've tried everything to resolve this nicely. Borrow or buy boom box and have playing full blast all day. You go out for day. Those fuckers have to sleep at some point.

Arvinneedstodie

Arvinneedstodie

Existing is not living
Sep 17, 2018
Yikes! Did not know this has been going on for months.
Have you tried recording the noise? You should amplify the noise and then send it to the management lady like she asked.
Yes i have tried, but it's really difficult to capture the sudden loud noises when it happens with my phone. The constant low level stumps and footsteps don't register well on my phone's mic, and i know the management will just dismiss those as normal noises, even though these noises happen at the AM hours. Last night around 2AM, the loudest stump happened and it shook the walls and floor of the whole apartment. I wish i had a recording of that. I think i need a special recorder that can record for hours at a time, but those are expensive.

It reminds me of one of those freaky Geico commercials (I think it's them). The family that taps together? Do you work during the day? This can be having a direct effect on you earning a living. Guess they have no quiet hours? Ugh! I like the idea of using a fan or even white noise. I use a fan myself. So sorry you are going through this. I would record it. It is torture at some point. Any way to soundproof the roof, even though you shouldn't have to?
Many streamers use some kind of noice cancelling plates so they can record better. I think they are also called sound absorber. You could nail them at the ceiling. Maybe this helps a bit.
I have thought about soundproof tiles, but i am not sure it'd work for my situation. The noise is not talking, music, or sound, it's stumps and footsteps on thin wooden floors. Their strange activities and very loud footsteps send very powerful vibration and i can physically feel every footstep they take. This apartment is a 1960s post war NYC coop apartment, so the best way i can describe the noise is the sound and sensations that old wooden ships make when they hit rough sea. The loud talking and other sounds i can block out with my loud AC, air purifier, earplugs or ambient music, but the loud stumps goes through everything i have in defense.

Hit back harder. I have few cool ideas but can't post them in public because I'll get banned.
That's a very bad idea in my case. When i hit back at the ceiling, i'm hitting hard plaster, but when they hit back it's against old thin wooden floor. Back in March i went upstairs really angry and banged on their door super hard, and they kind of apologized and played innocent, then the weeks after they payed me back much harder. They stumped super hard at random hours of the night, sometimes the stump wakes me up in confusion and panic, and then a few hours later another huge one. The stump sounded like someone dropping a really heavy sandbag or punchbag from ceiling to the floor, and the vibration feels like an earthquake.

I went through the same thing and found that the law was on their side. Society doesn't value peace and quiet. In the end, i moved in with my abusive parents to escape the constant banging above me but it was a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire. So now i find myself here. For what it's worth i empathize.
That's what bothers me the most. The people upstairs know that the law is on their side, so they just continue to torture me in confidence that i have nothing against them. The management also think i'm just a complaining tenant that needs to be silenced.

Id be off my head with that shit. Once you've tried everything to resolve this nicely. Borrow or buy boom box and have playing full blast all day. You go out for day. Those fuckers have to sleep at some point.
That's honestly how i want to hit back, but how do i do it without bothering my downstairs neighbor and everyone else around me? The sound in this apartment travels downward for whatever reason, as i never hear from downstairs or next doors, only upstairs. When i first moved in, i didn't have rugs and carpeting, so i walked a little louder, and the downstairs neighbors complained about it. That was me walking barefooted during the day. What my upstairs neighbor do is during the night/ early morning till noon.

They must be sleeping during the day, but sometimes i can still hear some constant activities during the day as well. I think they have day and night shifts in whatever they're doing. Just before covid, i used to hear large gathering of people drinking, singing, and the usual stumps. I think the apartment is just a workshop for whatever they're doing.

• Aww..
Reactions: Apathy's Girl
G

GoneGoneGone

Enlightened
Apr 1, 2020
I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through, I empathize a lot with your situation and I've been through a similar situation myself.

Apart from all the advice that has already been offered here, I suggest:
1. Earplugs acquired from a shooting range. I don't know whether they have them in the US, but they absolutely block any noise, including those stumping noises.
2. Complain, make reports, document your complaints, threaten with a lawyer, everything that you can do. At some point they must start questioning themselves. Would be great if you could call the police and they spent some time explaining the situation to you, during which they'd make noise and be caught in the act.

FriendofDeath

FriendofDeath

Elementalist
May 22, 2020
Maybe you need to have someone check for paranormal activity! :)

I

Idorus

Arcanist
Apr 30, 2018
Ok so... the best options - already mentioned here + a bit calculation;

1) Move out, Money lost is not worth your live.
OR
2) Find the BEST recorder you can get (hire it, borrow it, second-hand or whatever!) and make them pay you back again (!) (you know how to do that as it happened before) and THEN record it! It takes some effort but knowing you will hit them harder at the end is worth any calculation. Enjoy the process!

Last edited:
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
What can I do at this point?
I've had that happen. I moved. I had no choice. I was dreaming of murder.

I had it happen again in a condo my mother owned and sold it and moved. Again I had no choice. I actually fled in the middle of the night to a stranger's house I met on the internet, at midnight, and never went back except to pack up and get it sold. I sold it for $30,000 less than it was worth.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, FriendofDeath, GoneGoneGone and 2 others
G

GoneGoneGone

Enlightened
Apr 1, 2020
I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through, I empathize a lot with your situation and I've been through a similar situation myself.

Apart from all the advice that has already been offered here, I suggest:
1. Earplugs acquired from a shooting range. I don't know whether they have them in the US, but they absolutely block any noise, including those stumping noises.
2. Complain, make reports, document your complaints, threaten with a lawyer, everything that you can do. At some point they must start questioning themselves. Would be great if you could call the police and they spent some time explaining the situation to you, during which they'd make noise and be caught in the act.
Okay, I must confess, I eventually also moved out, but it was more because I had already made those arrangements before I got my hands on professional earplugs from a shooting range. I really think those work wonders.

Something else that made me feel more safe, was sort of identifying where the person was stomping the most, and trying to arrange my place such that I'd be farthest from that area.

I hope you are maintaining your sanity somehow.