NeverSatisfied

NeverSatisfied

Experienced
Dec 28, 2020
Not that my problems aren't real but they feel so trivial to talk about with people who don't have a mental illness. For context my roommate is 30 y/o and in a boss position at his job. I'm 22 and assistant teaching. He has serious work problems with people who work under him which can make him look bad where he has to punish the people who work under him and is stressed about things both ways. I had a hectic day because of covid and some schools/ classes closing and PARENTS ALLOWING THEIR KIDS WITH FEVERS GO INTO SCHOOL. Anyways, I don't actually have to deal with any of that stuff the principle of my school does. However, I have OCD and GAD and stuff that happened over the weekend has reeeally triggered it and effected the rest of my week so now any little thing that happens is super stressful to me.

In short: from the outside his problems are a lot tougher than mine and I feel like I end up looking like a fool because it's hard explaining why everything's stressing me out so much to someone neurotypical. Also, he doesn't put me down or say my problems are any less but after hearing his shit going on I just always feel kinda stupid. Anyone else ever feel the same?

• Hugs
Reactions: Anon1337 and strangeceleste
GrumpyFrog

GrumpyFrog

Exhausted
Aug 23, 2020
I can relate in a way. I keep venting about work to my roommate, even though he literally laughs at my problems and tells me they aren't really problems. His advice 9 times out of 10 goes along the lines of "why don't you just tell them to go f themselves?", while I am always trying to make sure everyone is happy and satisfied and always feel that if my results are anything short of perfect I'll get fired.

But I don't think that anyone's problems are any less "real" than someone elses. If it bothers you, than that's a real problem.

• Love
Reactions: strangeceleste, NeverSatisfied and Mentalmick
NeverSatisfied

NeverSatisfied

Experienced
Dec 28, 2020
But I don't think that anyone's problems are any less "real" than someone elses. If it bothers you, than that's a real problem.
I may have worded it wrong. I feel like my problems and the things I struggle with would be considered trivial to everyone else and it makes me feel more ostracized from life as I see others around me happily living it.

strangeceleste

strangeceleste

Don’t believe everything you think
Mar 2, 2021
I have similar struggles. I have a beautiful life, I truly lucked out in pretty much every way, and my brain still tells me to kill myself pretty much all day every day. We are all different, and dealing with an uncooperative mind that is against you is immensely difficult. You are valid. Your struggles are very real, and the fact you're still going shows immense strength. I relate to how isolating it can be to feel hypersensitive to seemingly small issues. It's already like swimming against a massive tide, so anything that causes stress causes intense distress. That is exhausting and the fact you choose to keep fighting is incredible.

• Love
Reactions: NeverSatisfied and kovkay
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
Suffering is subjective. For instance, concentration camp inmates obviously experienced considerably more serious problems than bipolar people do today. Yet, the suicide rate is higher for bipolar people than it was for concentraton camp inmates. If you want to kill yourself, you definitely suffer, and then it doesn't matter how much other people suffer.

• Love
Reactions: NeverSatisfied and strangeceleste
NeverSatisfied

NeverSatisfied

Experienced
Dec 28, 2020
I have similar struggles. I have a beautiful life, I truly lucked out in pretty much every way, and my brain still tells me to kill myself pretty much all day every day. We are all different, and dealing with an uncooperative mind that is against you is immensely difficult. You are valid. Your struggles are very real, and the fact you're still going shows immense strength. I relate to how isolating it can be to feel hypersensitive to seemingly small issues. It's already like swimming against a massive tide, so anything that causes stress causes intense distress. That is exhausting and the fact you choose to keep fighting is incredible.
Thanks for this :heart::hug: