D

Depressive1995

Feb 3, 2020
I dont think you can murder yourself, but only by someone else. Suicide is a free choice for death.
I begged my mother to help me with suicide by being present when I do it but she says she can't, she would very likely call the ambulance although she knows hell gets just so much stronger by that. But apart from her feelings as mother she would get punished if she would not call them because of the fucking inhumane law which forces people to die alone, with crucial and risky methods.. Or to suffer on and on.

Reactions: DFFP
Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
It depends on how you use the word because there are varying definitions of it.

According to most dictionaries that are found online the general meaning of murder (one which most people probably use) is the "Unlawful killing of someone" (Merriam-Webster). Basically this translates to: "killing is wrong because it's against the law". In this context suicide could be considered murder if it's done in a country where it is outlawed. However this meaning is vague and it doesn't mention the morality or ethics of a killing or suicide, so if suicide is done in a place where it is not illegal then it's not murder.

However the more legally-correct and technical definition of murder is this: "The unlawful killing of another human being without justification or excuse." If we use this definition then things get a bit grey. Suicide doesn't fit the 1st part because we are not killing another person we are killing ourselves. As for justification? Well given that this is a pro-choice community we would all agree that it is justified. Whereas an anti-choice person would say that it is never justified, so this part is mostly a matter of personal principles.

Personally? I don't think that suicide should ever be considered murder, in the same way a woman aborting a fetus shouldn't be considered a child killer.

Reactions: GoodPersonEffed
MeriDeath

MeriDeath

Im on the edge of reality
May 10, 2020
This has a bad connottion tho. Its true you're killing/murdering yourself call it whatever, but it sounds like she means it to be a crime. Yes it is a "crime" by others' point of view. But there is nothing wrong about this "murder" as long as we know what we do, to us it's just so different.

Last edited:
CarbonMonoxide

CarbonMonoxide

Marejeo ni ngamani
Oct 13, 2019
There was a time when suicide was a crime. That's thankfully no longer the case; otherwise people who attempt and fail would be criminally charged.
It's still a crime in many countries. In my country you can be jailed for two years with or without a fine. Personally I believe that unlike murder, the suicidal person has a choice. Criminalization of suicide implies that a person's life is the property of the state which is draconian bullshit. I don't believe it's a crime but my government does.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: alexit
E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
This has a bad connottion tho. Its true you're killing/murdering yourself call it whatever, but it sounds like she means it to be a crime. Yes it is a crime by others' point of view. But there is nothing wrong about this "murder" as long as we know what we so, to us it's just so different.
It's not murder though. 'Murder' = " the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another."
Suicide is neither unlawful (in most countries), nor the killing of one human by another.

The word murder should not be associated in any way with suicide.

SipSop

SipSop

Arcanist
May 7, 2020
By definition it is. Who cares though, people who aren't suffering won't understand. It's that simple.
Agree, they see life from their poin of view, feeling with their feelings. Not ours.