• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

bugs_for_brains

bugs_for_brains

We can always regroup on the moon <3
Mar 4, 2024
Idk how many people will care but Jupiter is my first millipede and I got her unexpectedly on my birthday. She was in a super small gnat infested container with pretty gnarly foot rot so I quickly moved her into a new home with a more nutritionous substrate and more space to roam on the surface and burrow.

I've been a little concerned because she went underground shortly after for a few weeks and any time I put food in, it was left untouched. I had hoped she was just molting or in diapause but because of her previous condition, I was worried she'd die of some kind of infection. But today I found a larger hole in the substrate and could see her inside. Now, she's crawled out and is walking around. I'm so happy :]

here's a pic from her first day in her new home

bugs_for_brains

bugs_for_brains

Mar 4, 2024
I actually hate millipedes so, I was scared to click on this thread but, she's super cute all curled up like that. šŸ„°
i can understand why you'd be scared of millipedes but they're super docile and can't see well so you don't have to worry about them bothering you or going out of their way to interact with you like some other creatures as long as you dont get right up in their face. And yeah, Jupiter is super cute :D

reclaimedbynature

reclaimedbynature

self-banned
Jan 24, 2024
I'm glad she's moving around - hopefully she starts eating again soon too, I'm not usually a fan of millies but I'll happily make an exception for little Jupiter here. :heart:

• Yay!
Reactions: bugs_for_brains
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
i can understand why you'd be scared of millipedes but they're super docile and can't see well so you don't have to worry about them bothering you or going out of their way to interact with you like some other creatures as long as you dont get right up in their face. And yeah, Jupiter is super cute :D

It's nothing personal. Just all those legs freak me out for some reason! Weird because I don't mind caterpillars. She does look cute there. Does she sleep like that? What do they eat?

• Love
bugs_for_brains

bugs_for_brains

Mar 4, 2024
I'm glad she's moving around - hopefully she starts eating again soon too, I'm not usually a fan of millies but I'll happily make an exception for little Jupiter here. :heart:
She ate some strawberry last night :) and she seems to have been munching quite a bit on the substrate during her time burrowed lol. Still better for her to be eating fruit too for extra hydration tho. I'm sure Jupiter will be grateful that you'd make an exception for her :)
It's nothing personal. Just all those legs freak me out for some reason! Weird because I don't mind caterpillars. She does look cute there. Does she sleep like that? What do they eat?
yeah that's understandable. I have a similar thing with most spiders.

Yeah, millipedes curl up like that to sleep or when they feel defensive. The bulk of their diet comes from the substrate they live in (mine includes various types of leaves, shredded woods, moss and hemp. I also add pure calcium powder directly to it bc my sister already had some but cuttlebones/eggshells/etc work too if you just shove em in there lol. They also eat most fruits and vegetables (Jupiter likes cucumber and I found out yesterday she's a fan of strawberries too)

Last edited:
psp3000

psp3000

I want to quit.
May 20, 2023
she looks very comfortable

if a millipede were to wear shoes do you think they would have a pair of shoes for every two legs ?

or would they just have one big shoe for each side (legs on left and legs on right) to put all their legs in ?

I am sure this has been asked before on bug spaces on the internet but I just had to ask

bugs_for_brains

bugs_for_brains

Mar 4, 2024
she looks very comfortable

if a millipede were to wear shoes do you think they would have a pair of shoes for every two legs ?

or would they just have one big shoe for each side (legs on left and legs on right) to put all their legs in ?

I am sure this has been asked before on bug spaces on the internet but I just had to ask
I think they would wear a pair of shoes for every 2 legs

psp3000

psp3000

I want to quit.
May 20, 2023
I think they would wear a pair of shoes for every 2 legs
good choice

as I think one huge shoe for each side of legs would be difficult to move around in due to the shortness of their legs (and they (the huge shoes) would slip off all the time probably)

so if anything it would be kind of like those annoying house slippers with a 1.5 inch to 1 inch of foam at the bottom that you have to slide around in rather than walking which makes for a terrible time if you have carpets and a lot of doorknobs

Rogue Proxy

Rogue Proxy

Enlightened
Sep 12, 2021
Do you have a favorite millipede species? One of my favorite genera are the dragon millipedes like the pink dragon millipede and the red dragon millipede.

bugs_for_brains

bugs_for_brains

Mar 4, 2024
Do you have a favorite millipede species? One of my favorite genera are the dragon millipedes like the pink dragon millipede and the red dragon millipede.
I'm pretty basic lol, I like the giant african millipedes best. Dragon millipedes have a very cool look to them tho

Reactions: Rogue Proxy
Rogue Proxy

Rogue Proxy

Enlightened
Sep 12, 2021
I'm pretty basic lol, I like the giant african millipedes best. Dragon millipedes have a very cool look to them tho
That's cool. Speaking of giant diplopods, are you familiar with Arthropleura? If not, I strongly suggest checking out that prehistoric species.

MyChoiceAlone

MyChoiceAlone

sleep deprived and/or drunk
Jul 23, 2023
what an interesting choice for a pet. so they don't eat gnats? yeah i would figure they wouldn't be able to catch any. so the gnats are attracted to the uneaten fruit? i can't stand gnats which is why i let this spider live in my house. that is until it overstepped it's bounds and decided to breed. glad your millipede is alive as well.

bugs_for_brains

bugs_for_brains

Mar 4, 2024
That's cool. Speaking of giant diplopods, are you familiar with Arthropleura? If not, I strongly suggest checking out that prehistoric species.
Yeah I'm familiar. I think it's so amazing that such a creature ever existed

Reactions: BrainShower