Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
I don't believe prospective parents often consider the full range of implications involved in creating another person and often do it for purely selfish reasons.

Since it is absurd to suggest that a person can exist before it is conceived, it is also absurd to suggest that by not conceiving this hypothetical person you are in some way depriving 'it' of life, and of all the potential happiness that life may entail.

Since happiness is not guaranteed, and that a certain amount of suffering necessarily is - bringing into life a new person is imposing suffering onto another being and is therefore immoral.

There is no good reason to give a non-existent hypothetical person 'a chance at happiness' because 'they' cannot be deprived of such a thing and to do so is therefore entirely unjustified based on our reasons of 'wanting to spread the chance at happiness'.

In the unjustified attempt at providing non-existent people a chance at happiness, we necessarily impose upon them the very real risk of serious harm - be it emotional or physical. Imposing unnecessary, unjustified harm on a person is in my opinion, an immoral act.

Justifying having children on other grounds, such as continuing the human species, uses the person as a means to an unjustified end, as a sacrifice to some optimistic view of a possible future - an equally immoral act in my eyes.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: conarc, venin, Daft-Bear and 7 others
Captive_Mind515

Captive_Mind515

King or street sweeper, dance with grim reaper!
Jul 18, 2023
Pandas, to their credit, have figured this out before the human race... :haha:

But we won't let them die out... our selfishness extends far beyond even our own species!

Reactions: LonelyKitten, venin, Darkover and 2 others
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I agree. I wonder if it even goes through prospective parents heads though that their child could turn out to be VERY unhappy- suicidal even. I just think they must be in some rose tinted, instinctively reproductive haze where they think they will be able to overcome any problem as a family. (Nevermind that they will die someday- any day potentially and leave that child alone.)

Yeah, I don't get it. Maybe it's all just wishful thinking. My Mum found out she had a malignant melanoma when she found out she was pregnant with me. I wish she'd just had chemo then. Still- my parents either must have thought she would somehow recover, or my life would still be ok without her. They must have really loved life and (wrongly) thought that I would too.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Daft-Bear, swaraj, Darkover and 1 other person
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
Procreation is such a cruel, harmful thing to me as it's the source of all pain and agony, it's a tragedy how this species continues with life continually being forced into this nightmarish world where there is endless potential for harm and suffering.

I could never see any justification to burdening one with the ability to suffer endlessly so unnecessarily, the compassionate thing would be to leave the non-existent alone in peace so that this species can finally go extinct and no human would ever be tormented ever again. I wish I never existed more than anything, existence is something undeniably so hellish and replusive, it's not "beautiful" how anyone had to suffer so senselessly all while they are destined for nothing but to decay.

• Informative
Reactions: venin and Darkover
venin

venin

Text
Jul 28, 2023
Procreation is such a cruel, harmful thing to me as it's the source of all pain and agony, it's a tragedy how this species continues with life continually being forced into this nightmarish world where there is endless potential for harm and suffering.

I could never see any justification to burdening one with the ability to suffer endlessly so unnecessarily, the compassionate thing would be to leave the non-existent alone in peace so that this species can finally go extinct and no human would ever be tormented ever again. I wish I never existed more than anything, existence is something undeniably so hellish and replusive, it's not "beautiful" how anyone had to suffer so senselessly all while they are destined for nothing but to decay.
Sex is cool though
I agree. I wonder if it even goes through prospective parents heads though that their child could turn out to be VERY unhappy- suicidal even. I just think they must be in some rose tinted, instinctively reproductive haze where they think they will be able to overcome any problem as a family. (Nevermind that they will die someday- any day potentially and leave that child alone.)

Yeah, I don't get it. Maybe it's all just wishful thinking. My Mum found out she had a malignant melanoma when she found out she was pregnant with me. I wish she'd just had chemo then. Still- my parents either must have thought she would somehow recover, or my life would still be ok without her. They must have really loved life and (wrongly) thought that I would too.
This life is just fucking random, I swear

Sorry for your situation šŸ«‚
I don't believe prospective parents often consider the full range of implications involved in creating another person and often do it for purely selfish reasons.

Since it is absurd to suggest that a person can exist before it is conceived, it is also absurd to suggest that by not conceiving this hypothetical person you are in some way depriving 'it' of life, and of all the potential happiness that life may entail.

Since happiness is not guaranteed, and that a certain amount of suffering necessarily is - bringing into life a new person is imposing suffering onto another being and is therefore immoral.

There is no good reason to give a non-existent hypothetical person 'a chance at happiness' because 'they' cannot be deprived of such a thing and to do so is therefore entirely unjustified based on our reasons of 'wanting to spread the chance at happiness'.

In the unjustified attempt at providing non-existent people a chance at happiness, we necessarily impose upon them the very real risk of serious harm - be it emotional or physical. Imposing unnecessary, unjustified harm on a person is in my opinion, an immoral act.

Justifying having children on other grounds, such as continuing the human species, uses the person as a means to an unjustified end, as a sacrifice to some optimistic view of a possible future - an equally immoral act in my eyes.
I just don't get how our reality, cause I think we can say we share it, can coexist with that of happy people. People who love life, enjoy it, have every reason to believe in God, wanna procreate and so on.

I mean like what the actual fuck?šŸ§

I'm saying this cause your afirmations sound very valid but theirs sound valid as well. It's that subjective.

So which one is it?

Idk manā€¦ I gotta stop asking questions that have no answer or have answers that hurt like fuck and enrage me.

Last edited:
  • Yay!
Reactions: Darkover