HitchHiker

HitchHiker

Student
Jun 23, 2019
My beautiful kitty has gone missing. I let her go out in the daytime and she stays in at night. She hasn't come back today. She's never done this before and hasn't come back for food. It's been pouring with rain all day and she always comes in when it rains.

I've walked the streets, been calling her all day and night. She usually comes back to the garden when I call her.

Its 1am here and I'm just sitting up waiting, hoping I hear the cat flap click open. It's so cold and damp outside and I'm worried to death. I can't stop crying, I think I'm having a breakdown, I'm devastated. I just know something has happened to her. She's only a little thing. I'm going out of my mind with worry.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: alexK, Jumper Geo, Élégie and 27 others
F

faraway_beach

Seawater and stardust
Dec 30, 2019
I hope your companion comes back safely to you!

• Love
Reactions: alexK, WaitingAround2Die, not-2-b-the-answer and 3 others
Flippy

Flippy

Felis Sapien
Jan 5, 2020
I'm so sorry! I have a cat too and I really get distressed when I don't know where he is! :-0 Occasionally he wouldnt come home when I expected him to, quite often in bad weather, I think he just found himself somewhere warm and safe to hide until he felt safe enough to come home. I would get really worried too. I really hope your cat will be home soon! :-)

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: itsmeagain, TrashBean, not-2-b-the-answer and 5 others
my heart hurts

my heart hurts

Things could be worse, I guess.
May 29, 2019
My friends cats will take extra long to come home if the weather gets bad. Hopefully she returns uninjured soon!

• Love
Reactions: alexK, not-2-b-the-answer, LegaliseIt! and 3 others
MysticPerception

MysticPerception

I'm back and I'll still smile for you
Dec 31, 2019
I've had that exact thing happen before. It was pouring horrible rain all day too but my cat came back three days later. Three days full of stress worrying about him and that was a long time ago. He's sleeping right next to me right now though. I'm sorry your cat hasn't returned yet but don't lose hope. There's still time yet.

Reactions: LegaliseIt!, voyager, Flippy and 1 other person
clandestine

clandestine

still rolling stones
Nov 17, 2019
If it's raining she's probably taken shelter somewhere and will come back when it stops. I've been in a similar situation with my cat who's only little too and only 1 years old. She doesn't go for super long periods usually but there's been a few times she disappeared for an extended time and I worried. But she always came back eventually. Cats can go for days at a time, they're independent animals, I'm sure she's fine (:

• Love
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, LegaliseIt!, voyager and 2 others
HitchHiker

HitchHiker

Student
Jun 23, 2019
Thank you all. I hope this is the same as you say. It's just not like her. She's my baby and I love her so much. The thought of her being out there on her own, cold and scared or worse... I'm so distressed about this. I just can't calm down. The wind is picking up really bad here now too, and it's freezing.
If it's raining she's probably taken shelter somewhere and will come back when it stops. I've been in a similar situation with my cat who's only little too and only 1 years old. She doesn't go for super long periods usually but there's been a few times she disappeared for an extended time and I worried. But she always came back eventually. Cats can go for days at a time, they're independent animals, I'm sure she's fine (:

Gosh I hope so. She's 1.5 years so still a baby really.
I hope your companion comes back safely to you!

Me too. I had to have my previous kitty put to sleep because she was old (18) and very poorly. It wasn't the peaceful ending I wanted to give her because she fought it and went crazy, it was so traumatic for both of us. This kitty came along and really helped me heal. She is a rescue, I've had her from 6 weeks old and she normally sleeps on my pillow with her paws on my head. I know I sound like a crazy cat lady but I care for her more than nearly all the humans in my life.

I've got a 11 hour day at work tomorrow but I can't sleep for worrying.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: alexK, Élégie, not-2-b-the-answer and 7 others
Flippy

Flippy

Felis Sapien
Jan 5, 2020
I know it's really difficult to put aside the worry and anxiety. You must be very close to her :-) She's quite young, maybe she's found a tomcat and she's lost track of time. :-) Sometimes my cat would stay out for a couple of days, I would be just the same as you, walking the streets just in case. It's actually not a bad idea to take a couple of walks round the block as they might catch you scent and it may entice them home. Don't wear yourself out though or put yourself in danger late at night. I really hope that she will bound through the cat flap very soon! :-)

• Love
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, mesohappy, clandestine and 1 other person
HitchHiker

HitchHiker

Student
Jun 23, 2019
I know it's really difficult to put aside the worry and anxiety. You must be very close to her :-) She's quite young, maybe she's found a tomcat and she's lost track of time. :-) Sometimes my cat would stay out for a couple of days, I would be just the same as you, walking the streets just in case. It's actually not a bad idea to take a couple of walks round the block as they might catch you scent and it may entice them home. Don't wear yourself out though or put yourself in danger late at night. I really hope that she will bound through the cat flap very soon! :-)

Fingers crossed.

It's almost 3am so I've just been calling her in the garden but I'm worried I'll wake the neighbours so I won't do that anymore tonight now.

I walked the streets for 2 hours this evening, rattling her treats box (which always makes her come running). No sign anywhere. Thankfully the roads and gutters were clear. I've posted appeals on Facebook, signed up for the microchip alert service (where they send out a missing pet alert to all animal based businesses and vets within 30 miles) and a couple of other missing pets websites.

I'm going to pop round the neighbours in the morning and ask them to check their sheds and greenhouses. I'll do some posters too if she isn't back by the morning.
I also saw a fox outside the front of my house a couple of nights ago so I'm super worried about that too.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: alexK, not-2-b-the-answer, LegaliseIt! and 3 others
Flippy

Flippy

Felis Sapien
Jan 5, 2020
Fingers crossed.

It's almost 3am so I've just been calling her in the garden but I'm worried I'll wake the neighbours so I won't do that anymore tonight now.

I walked the streets for 2 hours this evening, rattling her treats box (which always makes her come running). No sign anywhere. Thankfully the roads and gutters were clear. I've posted appeals on Facebook, signed up for the microchip alert service (where they send out a missing pet alert to all animal based businesses and vets within 30 miles) and a couple of other missing pets websites.

I'm going to pop round the neighbours in the morning and ask them to check their sheds and greenhouses. I'll do some posters too if she isn't back by the morning.
I also saw a fox outside the front of my house a couple of nights ago so I'm super worried about that too.
I will keep my fingers crossed for you :-) I'm guessing we must be in the same country as it's 3 am here. I've done the same myself and walked around looking like a nut case shaking a packet of Dreamies and making that "spssspssss" sound cats like. My cat never responded but eventually he would turn up at the back door :-) I wouldn't worry too much about the fox, I've known cats become friends with them as crazy as that sounds! It's a good idea to get your neighbors to check round just in case. I think you've done all you can. :-) I really hope you will be reunited in the morning! :-)

• Love
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer
HitchHiker

HitchHiker

Student
Jun 23, 2019
I will keep my fingers crossed for you :-) I'm guessing we must be in the same country as it's 3 am here. I've done the same myself and walked around looking like a nut case shaking a packet of Dreamies and making that "spssspssss" sound cats like. My cat never responded but eventually he would turn up at the back door :-) I wouldn't worry too much about the fox, I've known cats become friends with them as crazy as that sounds! It's a good idea to get your neighbors to check round just in case. I think you've done all you can. :-) I really hope you will be reunited in the morning! :-)

Yeah sounds like we are from the same neck of the woods! My cat loves dreamies too.

I can totally imagine my kitty would try to make friends with a fox! She follows next doors cat around everywhere and is totally clueless when it comes to the territory side of things.

Thanks for your reassuring words. You have all helped me calm down a little.

• Hugs
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, Luchs, Soul and 1 other person
Flippy

Flippy

Felis Sapien
Jan 5, 2020
Dreamies do seem to be like erm... Catnip to cats! She sounds like a really friendly cat :-) I'm glad that you feel a bit more calm :-) I'm hoping for good news in the morning! Well it is morning, but you know what I mean! lol :-)

Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer and HitchHiker
F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
I've been through this a time or two. So I made the decision that if I ever have a cat again never to let it outside. I began to leash train my last kitty while young so I can take him out but with supervision for small trips to a park or a quiet area with no dogs or loud noises preferably. This way they can get a break from the boring house sometimes but I don't have to worry that someone might steal or the cat ends up getting trapped or harmed outside. Cats tend to be vulnerable outside especially in cities where there's more stuff that can happen. Try a pet psychic, I've heard that there are people who can find your pet sometimes. They can connect to your pet from a picture and communicate with it. It's crazy. Sorry u are going through this. Hoping you find your kitty soon.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: your pathologist, not-2-b-the-answer, HitchHiker and 1 other person
Flippy

Flippy

Felis Sapien
Jan 5, 2020
I keep my cat indoors and as I'm inclined to keep myself indoors we keep eachother company and he seems quite happy. I used to let him out before we moved, but I know him so well, he tends to get quite upset about other cats or perceived threats and sometimes gets into trouble as he's a big softy. He never really seemed to go out for long when he did go out and sometimes I would find him howling at the door after 20 minutes because another cat had frightened him. Sounds daft but it's true! It's probably my fault for coddling him I suppose :-) Sometimes he wouldnt come home for 2-3 days and I would find it really distressing too. I think it's really early days so there's every chance that everything will turn out fine :-)

Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer and HitchHiker
Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
@HitchHiker, any updates? Sending "homeward bound" vibes to your sweet cat x

• Love
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, HitchHiker, voyager and 1 other person
voyager

voyager

Don't you dare go hollow...
Nov 25, 2019
Sorry to hear it. Hope she's okay and you both are reunited soon. Cats can drive one nuts in this regard. We have a roamer in the neighbourhood. Apparently she has a home, but she'll pop in twice a day for food all the same. Sometimes though she won't show up for a day or two, especially when it's raining. We also took in a stray once. We housed him, fed him, brought him to the vets, and after a month he just disappeared forever. Have no idea what became of him. Maybe he made it home. But it did have a good side, because we got our own two cats, who we would've never met had he not run away. Thing is about five years later one of them disappeared too. For two weeks! Had honestly given up on seeing her again, but then one day I passed the window and there she sat on the shelf, just waiting to be let in. It was glorious! She was quite starved though, so I presume she had been locked in somewhere. Cats are too curious for their own good, but they will return if it's in their power to do so.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, HitchHiker, Thereisnothing and 1 other person
k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
I'm so sorry. I really hope she turns up soon. Did she have an ID tag on?

Just to ease your mind a little, you probably don't have to worry about the fox. They are not normally a threat to cats. They're really just big babies. They might chase a cat, but if the cat shows any sign of attacking, they get scared and run. I lived in the country for years and we had foxes all over the place. Coyotes are the ones that will eat your animals.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, voyager and Flippy
Flippy

Flippy

Felis Sapien
Jan 5, 2020
When I was a kid, we had three cats and we saw them all in the garden (very big garden) they were all chasing eachother and having a wonderful time then we noticed there was a fox joining in. They all got on really well and for a while it became a regular event. One of the cats ended up catching an infection from the fox, nothing serious it was like a skin irritation that cleared up after a trip to the vets. After a while the fox stopped visiting sadly but it's a nice and unusual memory. :-) I doubt the fox will have done any harm :-)

• Love
Reactions: Lost in a Dream, not-2-b-the-answer, Luchs and 2 others
Luchs

Luchs

kristallene Bergluft über verfallener Gruft
Aug 20, 2019
When I was a kid, we had three cats and we saw them all in the garden (very big garden) they were all chasing eachother and having a wonderful time then we noticed there was a fox joining in. They all got on really well and for a while it became a regular event. One of the cats ended up catching an infection from the fox, nothing serious it was like a skin irritation that cleared up after a trip to the vets. After a while the fox stopped visiting sadly but it's a nice and unusual memory. :-) I doubt the fox will have done any harm :-)
That sounds really cute.

• Love
Flippy

Flippy

Felis Sapien
Jan 5, 2020
It was :-) It was quite cute watching one of the cats in particular watching out of the window each evening waiting for the fox too! When the fox stopped visiting she used to wait by the window and get really upset. I hope that nothing bad happened to the fox.

Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer and Luchs
Thereisnothing

Thereisnothing

Enlightened
Jan 4, 2020
:heart: Will keep eye on this post to be updated............sending love and pray she comes home very soon............do let us know.:heart:

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, voyager, Luchs and 1 other person
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
That's just heartbreaking! I hope she comes back, the furry little piece of heaven.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, voyager, Luchs and 1 other person
notjustyetagain

notjustyetagain

Oct 28, 2019
keeping a damp eye on this thread. so sorry. fingers, toes, mandibles crossed. :aw:

• Love
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, Luchs and voyager
UpandDownPrincess

UpandDownPrincess

Elementalist
Dec 31, 2019
I have read that a cat can smell his or her litter box from a long distance. It is suggested that when you are dealing with a missing kitty, to put the litter box outside on the porch as a way to lure them home.

Reactions: Luchs
H

Hopeindeath!

Elementalist
Dec 7, 2019
If your kitty is still missing, you can try putting tuna by the door. It has worked for me before.

• Love
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer and Luchs
J

jgm63

Visionary
Oct 28, 2019
Please keep us updated.
I also PM-ed you btw, so please read that....

:heart:

• Love
Flippy

Flippy

Felis Sapien
Jan 5, 2020
I really hope everything is ok! Please post back if you can! Still have my fingers crossed for you :-)

• Love
HitchHiker

HitchHiker

Student
Jun 23, 2019
Hi everyone. Thank you for all the kind responses.

Sorry I haven't updated sooner I've either been at work or our searching for my kitty. She still hasn't turned up. I'm gutted.
I feel calmer when I'm actively doing something to try and find her but I just keep randomly bursting into tears.
I've put flyers through every door in a 1 mile radius. Flyers in all the shops and pubs nearby. I've spammed every Facebook group local to me, contacted the council and the pet search charities (who are amazing). I've put an alert via the microchip people, who send it to all the animal based businesses within 30 miles. Her litter tray is out in the garden and there's dirty washing on the line. I've trawled the streets morning, day and night and there's still no sign of her. Going to go out at 2am tonight when it's quieter and perhaps she may venture out.

Is there anything else I can do?

Pet search told me that typically cats go missing for between 3 and 10 days because they get scared and bed down and hide. Eventually they get so hungry and dehydrated that they have to move. I just hope she can find her way back and she is still alive. It's so cold and wet here at the minute.

My phone number is on the posters and I had some prick calling me off a withheld ID meowing down the phone.

• Hugs
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, Luchs, notjustyetagain and 3 others