• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3b
    oei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

caraphernelia

caraphernelia

what’s so good about picking up the pieces
Aug 24, 2023
Last night my dad and i got into an argument because he said that suicide is the "easy way out" and that it is "weak". He said that it's selfish because the people you leave behind would feel bad about it, i understand his point but he was being so disrespectful and rude about it. He was saying that if people want to die they just need to talk to someone and get help, I explained to him that getting help isn't that easy but he didn't care.
I asked him straight up if he would think i was weak if i committed suicide and he said yes, no hesitation.
I felt sick to my stomach and started crying, he kept going on and on about how it is selfish and weak.
I ended up going to my room and sleeping because he wouldn't listen to me and I felt like there was no point trying to argue with him anymore.
He's always been like this when it comes to discussions about mental health but he has never gone so far before.
He made me feel so weak and invalidated in that moment.

• Hugs
Reactions: ApparentlyNot, hadenough58, Ultra'sPurgat0rio and 12 others
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Illuminated
Jul 23, 2022
A good chunk of the world, if not most, is going to direct those sorts of judgment our way.

It sounds like your dad is from a bootstraps generation and environment where you should just have to grin and bear it. Why? Just because. Yuck.

Maybe he was too upset and agitated at the idea of your death that he resorted to emotional, knee-jerk judgments.

Reactions: FakeSmileGuy, Zanmato, thebelljarrr and 8 others
caraphernelia

caraphernelia

Aug 24, 2023
Yeah he definitely thinks that you should suppress your struggles and just grin and bear it.
I don't talk to him about my mental health very often because i learnt a long time ago that i will just be met with judgement from him. But he does know that i was (and still am) suicidal and struggle a lot with my mental health.
I think he was upset that i was so against his views and that i was standing up to him. I don't usually do that but i didn't want to just sit back and listen to all the disgusting shit he was saying.

Reactions: Zanmato, thebelljarrr, Praestat_Mori and 1 other person
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
When I was a teenager, I once had Nfather say those exact words to me, that suicide is the "easy way out." He showed anger when he said it.

I can't speak for your case, but for me, in later years I figured out what he had meant. He turned out to be a closeted sadist who delighted in seeing me suffer. He got upset if anything 'good' happened to me, or in this case, the thought of me being freed of suffering.

• Hugs
Reactions: CelestialDiana, Praestat_Mori, Pathetic and Sad and 1 other person
caraphernelia

caraphernelia

Aug 24, 2023
I'm so sorry your father said those things to you.
My dad has always had a pretty negative and ignorant view on mental health, i think because of the way he grew up.
(just looked at your account and i'm from australia too!)

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, Pathetic and Sad and Pluto
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
Yes, there's a lot of people like that here. I'm from a smaller regional city with quite a conservative culture, where anger is the only emotion men are allowed to express. The area happens to also have an abnormally high male suicide rate. What a coincidence.

Reactions: CelestialDiana, Praestat_Mori, Pathetic and Sad and 1 other person
caraphernelia

caraphernelia

Aug 24, 2023
The area happens to also have an abnormally high male suicide rate. What a coincidence.
Wow, I wonder why that is! Crazy coincidence

Reactions: Praestat_Mori, Pathetic and Sad and Pluto
fleetingnight

fleetingnight

incapable of shutting up
May 2, 2024
When I hear that, all it tells me is that whoever said it has no idea what they're talking about.

I'm so sorry he said that to you. I don't understand how people can have such little sympathy for others. He sounds extremely ignorant about mental health.

• Love
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, Pathetic and Sad and caraphernelia
caraphernelia

caraphernelia

Aug 24, 2023
I've always known he was pretty ignorant about mental health but i didn't think he would have such little sympathy towards me.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori and Pathetic and Sad
Pathetic and Sad

Pathetic and Sad

Just going through life's motions
May 21, 2024
The people who say suicide is "selfish" only think about what others will feel after you commit more than how you are feeling, your suffering and how you reached this point. Instead of actually trying to solve our problem and untangle the metal jargon, they try to guilt-trip us to not commit by saying bs like: "what about other? Your parents? Your partners? Your children?", but they rarely talk about ME, dismissing my struggles by saying shit like "I had it harder at your age." This makes me further push myself away from opening myself cuz these people rarely understand my struggles.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: thebelljarrr, Neon Grave, CelestialDiana and 5 others
caraphernelia

caraphernelia

Aug 24, 2023
He made it seem like reaching out for help and talking to people about your struggles is easy. I tried to explain to him that it is not easy, but he would not listen to me. There is so much stigma around mental health that it can be really scary to ask for help.
Plus the mental health system can be horrible in some places and can drive people even closer to committing suicide.

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori and Pathetic and Sad
Lady Laudanum

Lady Laudanum

Experienced
May 9, 2024
My mom telling me that was why I considered poisoning my parents and then killing myself, 5 years ago.

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, divinemistress36, caraphernelia and 1 other person
Pathetic and Sad

Pathetic and Sad

Just going through life's motions
May 21, 2024
He made it seem like reaching out for help and talking to people about your struggles is easy. I tried to explain to him that it is not easy, but he would not listen to me. There is so much stigma around mental health that it can be really scary to ask for help.
Plus the mental health system can be horrible in some places and can drive people even closer to committing suicide.
Yea, as someone from third world country, mental health is rarely ever talked about here. People equate depression to sadness, and although my parents are a bit more open than most, they still struggle to understand my problems, in their own words "I should just get over it." and "don't be depressed." as if I can control my depression.

I have seen this in person. A friend of mine fainted due to hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and everyone from the community came to his house and gave him sweets and gifts saying get well soon. But when my cousin failed her attempt everyone including my parents were talking bad about her and almost no one went to visit her. I was just 14 then, and I too thought suicide was "selfish" and "week" so I was also a partner in crime. She was sent to psychic ward, and I can't imagine the what she suffered through in there. I hear horror story about people in psych ward in first world countries like USA, let alone in a third world like my own. She got out of that place after a year and committed just a few months after, this time she succeeded, and people were still cursing at her for "making her parents sad and alone." It's just so pathetic and sad out here.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori
itsneverbeenmoreove

itsneverbeenmoreove

You are just my love
May 21, 2024
Honestly, I've kind of embraced it. For a long time I've considered myself too much of a coward to ever CTB, and the concept of "nonexistence" has really freaked me out a lot of times, causing me many a panic attack. But I read a quote on some random blog that said "Suicide is the cowards way out", and I really have always considered myself a coward. Why should being a coward be a bad thing? So what if I'm a coward? Plenty of people are too cowardly to do things, but I don't see people berating them into a crying mess about it. If suicide is the cowards way out, and I'm a coward, then so what?

• Hugs
Reactions: Ultra'sPurgat0rio, Praestat_Mori, caraphernelia and 1 other person
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
The main issue I have with this is- something needs to seem worth it to go through fear, suffering and pain for. If that's all that someone's life has become and they truly have no hope or wish to try and make things better- who are they fighting for? Is it reasonable to expect them to stick around and suffer terribly, just so that a few people don't have to feel upset?

It's a double standard too. We're not allowed to feel defeated or devastated by our lives but- they are allowed to feel devastated by our suicide. If life really is about sucking it up- then- they ought to be able to cope too- by their own reasoning.

Of course, loss via suicide is something that we deliberately inflict on them and it likely is a terrible pain. It's something the majority of suicidal people grapple with. Some of us can't justify it either. I'm stuck here waiting for my Dad to go first. I hardly feel like I've won anything though! Just decades of unhappiness that ironically- he brought me in to!

Being of an antinatitilst sentiment, I would want to use the argument with regards to procreation. Why is it 'brave' to have children? Who do people really have children for? I'd argue- it's mostly to fill their own needs. They may absolutely hope for the best for that child. But- they must also realise there's a possibility/ probability it will suffer. But- they do it anyway- to satisfy their own needs. Isn't that a form of weakness? To put your own needs higher than those of someone else? That's what we're talking about with suicide after all. Of course, it's not seen like that because life is seen as the default mode and people seem to assume their child will be ok. Why though? We have brains! We ought to be able to comprehend that there is every possibility that a person will suffer in life.

• Love
Reactions: divinemistress36, Ultra'sPurgat0rio, TapeMachine and 2 others
KidWhite

KidWhite

May 21, 2023
If it's selfish to die
It's selfish to make a man live to make YOU feel better.

• Love
Reactions: divinemistress36, CelestialDiana, Red Desert and 2 others
I

iloverachel

Enlightened
Mar 7, 2024
Does your dad have depression or suicidal thoughts himself?

I feel most people who say those kind of things have never been in our shoes.

I am sorry you had to go through that, you are no weak or selfish at all

Dark Window

Dark Window

Forest Wanderer
Mar 12, 2024
Your dad sounds like an asshole.

Unfortunately when people hear things like this they're less likely to open up about it, and then when they kill themselves people say "why? Why could she have just reached out?".

It's because you mother fuckers will just judge them, cry about how it will hurt their family or have them put in a psych ward.

• Hugs
Reactions: Ultra'sPurgat0rio, caraphernelia and Praestat_Mori
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
suicide is the "easy way out" and that it is "weak".
Suicide (death) is sometimes the only way out but it's never easy.

It's also not selfish of you to want to die if there are unsolvable issues that make you suicidal.

Your dad is selfish if he doesn't realize why you are suicidal - he should fix your issues instead of invalidating you but I'm aware that this may be beyond he capabilities.

• Hugs
Reactions: Ultra'sPurgat0rio and caraphernelia
lkjhgfdsa1

lkjhgfdsa1

🖤
Apr 17, 2024
I had exactly the same conversation with my mom

• Hugs
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
Suicide isn't easy to do at all because of how pro lifers restricted suicide methods immensely. Also, even if suicide was the easy way out, why is that a bad thing? Wouldn't anybody prefer an easy way out over a hard way out?

• Hugs
Reactions: Ultra'sPurgat0rio and Praestat_Mori
caraphernelia

caraphernelia

Aug 24, 2023
The main issue I have with this is- something needs to seem worth it to go through fear, suffering and pain for. If that's all that someone's life has become and they truly have no hope or wish to try and make things better- who are they fighting for? Is it reasonable to expect them to stick around and suffer terribly, just so that a few people don't have to feel upset?

It's a double standard too. We're not allowed to feel defeated or devastated by our lives but- they are allowed to feel devastated by our suicide. If life really is about sucking it up- then- they ought to be able to cope too- by their own reasoning.

Of course, loss via suicide is something that we deliberately inflict on them and it likely is a terrible pain. It's something the majority of suicidal people grapple with. Some of us can't justify it either. I'm stuck here waiting for my Dad to go first. I hardly feel like I've won anything though! Just decades of unhappiness that ironically- he brought me in to!

Being of an antinatitilst sentiment, I would want to use the argument with regards to procreation. Why is it 'brave' to have children? Who do people really have children for? I'd argue- it's mostly to fill their own needs. They may absolutely hope for the best for that child. But- they must also realise there's a possibility/ probability it will suffer. But- they do it anyway- to satisfy their own needs. Isn't that a form of weakness? To put your own needs higher than those of someone else? That's what we're talking about with suicide after all. Of course, it's not seen like that because life is seen as the default mode and people seem to assume their child will be ok. Why though? We have brains! We ought to be able to comprehend that there is every possibility that a person will suffer in life.
I couldn't have said it better myself
Does your dad have depression or suicidal thoughts himself?

I feel most people who say those kind of things have never been in our shoes.

I am sorry you had to go through that, you are no weak or selfish at all
I'm not sure if he does, we don't really have those kinds of conversations and if we do it's very one sided and he doesn't talk about his own feelings.

Thank you everyone for your kind words and being so supportive. I was feeling really shitty last night and now i am feeling a bit better. ❤️

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Forever Sleep, iloverachel and Praestat_Mori
Dark Moon

Dark Moon

Wizard
Sep 21, 2022
My parents never said this about my attempts before but suicide really isn't easy, you have to go through the fear of what happens next, the outcome, survival instinct and the lack of methods etc. It takes courage.

I don't find it to be selfish because you have gotten to such a low point and suffering to take your own life.

Reactions: TapeMachine
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Tortured by evil humans
Sep 24, 2020
That really is so cruel and insensitive, I'm sorry that you have to be around someone like that. But anyway best wishes.

M

malevolentdiety

Student
Mar 16, 2024
Last night my dad and i got into an argument because he said that suicide is the "easy way out" and that it is "weak". He said that it's selfish because the people you leave behind would feel bad about it, i understand his point but he was being so disrespectful and rude about it. He was saying that if people want to die they just need to talk to someone and get help, I explained to him that getting help isn't that easy but he didn't care.
I asked him straight up if he would think i was weak if i committed suicide and he said yes, no hesitation.
I felt sick to my stomach and started crying, he kept going on and on about how it is selfish and weak.
I ended up going to my room and sleeping because he wouldn't listen to me and I felt like there was no point trying to argue with him anymore.
He's always been like this when it comes to discussions about mental health but he has never gone so far before.
Funny how he selfishly brought you into this world to live a life of suffering for his own greed and he feels no remorse

Reactions: denjiwillsaveme and caraphernelia
denjiwillsaveme

denjiwillsaveme

Apr 11, 2024
I just don't undertsand how these people could be parents and be better for the childer when it thier fault in creating you, you have every right to be angry and never talk to him if that's how he reacts, I'm sorry this is your parent.

• Hugs
Reactions: caraphernelia
Confront4283

Confront4283

When I’m gone just carry on, don’t mourn, rejoice
May 24, 2024
Yeah but another way to think about it, if you did ctb, you'd never ever care what he'd think because you wouldn't be here anymore, he can think what he wants.

Reactions: Vicolo cieco, caraphernelia and CelestialDiana
B

black and white

May 27, 2024
Weak lol, anyone talking this way never confronted himself to an act of suicide. It's not only confronting death but the act of doing it by yourself, and it's a whole different story. It asks courage, determination.

That's the speech of empty people who knows nothing about the subject first. Secondly this is not very smart and the only way he found to try discourage you of doing it (makes you feel bad, ashamed, guilty), which is usually what common and selfish people do.
Parents are often (for many of us) even a particular subject, as they may have a clear responsability in the way you are and the difficulty that you encounter.
My mother did make children in terrible condition, like real bad choice, she was very young, with a very bad guy, much older than her. I won't give details, but it's worst than a drama fiction. She raised my sister and i alone, we were very poor even if she worked, and she was very depressed and not really caring. We had to care for the house to be clean, prepare the food everyday and serve her at bed (yeah some kind of little slaves, no joke) and many stuffs. She was violent regularly, mentally or physically, sometimes without reasons; i don't know just needed to let off steam i guess.

My sister had huge problems, she was already lost in self-destruct process as a teenager. Alcoholic in hard way and with epilepsy background (which has been treated during childhood but came back violently due to her lifestyle), she went down badly and died from epilepsy crises at 31, after doing the same error than my mother and having given birth to two children (pity for them to be welcome in this genealogy and handle troubles...).

Few months back, i tried to be honnest on my intentions with my mother, especially to warn her about getting back my stuffs etc. She turned crazy, it was just "me, me, me; don't do me that, i don't deserve that, i already lost your sister, do you realise what you say to me", so selfish reactions, just her and her eventual sufferings. She never tried to speak to me with empathy, try to understand my choice, my own situation, my own feelings. And it's the same bullshit since i'm young, no joke. No matter how i suffer, i have to endure it to preserve her for suffering more. She always playing the sad mother about loosing my sister, how it's hard blabla. She always present herself as the strong and sacrificing mother, to other people, like the super model of perfect caring parents; can't stand those bullshits. So who's the selfish ones, seriously?

There are few thigs to understand when considering suicide: Never talk to it to anybody (thats what make this place so special...), no matter how close you are from the person, friends, family, or outside even doctor and so-called specialist, no one will understand, they will all try to discourage you (most often in very bad ways). They could even call the police or the hospital and jail you into psychiatric institution...
Secondly, if there are people you really care about and you don't want them to be hurt by your death, then cut relationship with them discretly way before.... Began by deleting your social medias, if some of them realise it, explain that you decided to stop with that, being tired of the internet virtual life. Don't give news, be progressively distant, not within days, progressively... for it doesn't appear suspicious. Then after a certain time change your phone number and give it to no one. You will just disappear as it happens in life.
This is what i did , and few caring friends won't be affected, they won't even realise what happened.
About my mother? I don't care, yes she will know and i don't give a fuck. Everyone has to handle their responsabilities, it's time for her, to stop lying to herself and look to the reality. It's not bad luck to have lost violently both children, but the consequences of the very bad choices she made and the very bad way she raised them. So take that in your face and suffer as you should instead of trying putting that on me since decades.

Remember one thing in life: people usually just talk to themselves. I mean constantly. If you hear weak, selfish and other stuffs in the mouth of your father, analyse it a bit and you'll surely realise that he's talking about himself. People reproach to other what they are.

Last edited:
H

hadenough58

Looking for Understanding
Mar 7, 2024
Saying you are weak and it is the easy way out is both the stock answer and a way of trying to deter you from you from doing it.
Unfortunately it also shows no real understanding of the problem but do not judge him badly, I was 40 before I even considered it and was a little shocked at myself so you cannot really expect others to understand.
Next time take a breath and try to explain how you feel without getting mad?
Far easier said than done I know.

I am 65 now and fight it everyday

Worndown

Worndown

Visionary
Mar 21, 2019
Nice. Try to shame the suicidal person into living.