WitheringAway

WitheringAway

Ima shake the champagne bottle...
Jun 23, 2020
My best friend thinks he knows me but he doesn't. I've lied about basically everything because when I first met him I didn't think I'd make friends but we became really close and all the initial info you ask about when u first meet someone are lies. I lied about where I'm from and my age. Thought it would be harmless to not give real info to a random stranger on the internet. The only thing he knows that is right about me is how I look and how much I appreciate having him in my life. I added him on Snapchat and we chat there. But that's it. I'm scared if I come clean about what I lied about he'll hate me forever. He says he loves me and I'm a big part of his life and that I'm his BFF etc and I don't wanna lose him. For the first time in my life I feel like someone actually cares about me. I don't feel comfortable dragging our friendship knowing it's based on lies. I'm scared and I regret lying idk what to do.

• Hugs
Reactions: crybaby, sadghost, LivedTooLong and 4 others
so tired or manic

so tired or manic

Arcanist
Jun 12, 2020
best thing to do is to explain why you felt lying was important. he will need time to process everything so try not to rush him. I hope he can understand.

Reactions: WitheringAway and Woodnote
Sinai Silence

Sinai Silence

I think I'ma die alone inside my room
Jul 6, 2020
If you feel guilt and regret for lying to him the best thing to do is tell him the truth and make him understand why you did it.

Its nice to hear he cares so much about you, I'm sure he'll understand :heart:

Reactions: WitheringAway and Woodnote
Deleted member 17949

Deleted member 17949

Visionary
May 9, 2020
There's nothing worth knowing about me. I never connect with anyone on a personal level since I'm so boring and unskilled. It's depressing how little substance there is to my life.

• Hugs
Reactions: WitheringAway, Sinai Silence and Woodnote
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
It sounds like you're going to feel like crap until you tell him the truth.

It's not really you he's best friends with, it's partly you and partly the made-up person you presented. It's kind of like catfishing. He didn't get the choice to become friends with you, he got the choice to become friends with someone who doesn't exist. Had you told him the truth, he may have chosen to pursue the friendship and he may not have, but he wasn't given the opportunity to give informed consent. If you feel true friendship toward him, then you're going to need to give him that opportunity.

Realistically, rationally, you're probably going to lose the friendship. If he didn't lie as well, then he's made himself vulnerable to you as the person he thought you were, and he's likely going to feel betrayed as well as other things, and want to protect himself from further harm. I can't speak for him of course. If I were in the same position, I would feel betrayed and upset at how much I'd disclosed in trusting and being vulnerable.

If you lose him, you're going to hurt, but you can also gain self-respect for having done the right thing, and learn from the experience for going forward. It's a difficult lesson in becoming aware of how what we do affects others. People go through difficult lessons in life, but making mistakes is how we learn. You're hardly the first person who's been thoughtless and had to experience consequences and learn from it. That's just being human. If you act in integrity toward him now, then you begin to build a foundation for integrity and it will get easier to maintain it.

I think if you tell him it's best to give him the space to do as he sees fit and to not push him. Once you disclose, it's not about you anymore. Since the friendship was built on a false foundation, there's probably not going to be a frienship anymore. If he's okay with it, I have to wonder about his self-respect, and/or if he has a romantic or interest in you that he himself was not disclosing.

I don't mean to be harsh with you, just direct and honest. I commend you for speaking up and asking for input. I hope you can see that I have compassion for you, for what you did, and for the situation that you're in. I didn't throw any blame at you. In such situations, I respond the same as I would with a good friend and tell the truth. The truth may hurt, but it never harms. Remaining in error and ignorance is what harms, and it seems to me you're releasing both.

Last edited:
Reactions: crybaby, WitheringAway, Lorntroubles and 1 other person
WitheringAway

WitheringAway

Ima shake the champagne bottle...
Jun 23, 2020
Tbh I don't think I have the strength to tell him yet. I've been keeping my distance from him and giving myself time to feel more comfortable and ready. Im gonna be prepared to the worst case scenario for his reaction. Tbh its gonna hurt and suck to lose him but it's my fault for being an insecure liar. I have to accept that and live with it.