fluffymuffin

fluffymuffin

Oct 11, 2020
I went to my psychiatrist today and she told me I'm at risk of developing BPD due to my family history. I'm terrified of having another issue to deal with, I can barely tackle my anxiety.

Sorry if I've been posting a lot lately, I just feel so hopeless.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Stick, voyager, Symbiote and 5 others
pickajack

pickajack

Student
Jul 17, 2020
Sorry @fluffymuffin that sounds scary. Doesn't seem helpful for her to worry you like that, especially if you haven't shown symptoms. Wishing you calm and optimism. I'm cheering for you:heart:

Reactions: Stick
fluffymuffin

fluffymuffin

Oct 11, 2020
Sorry @fluffymuffin that sounds scary. Doesn't seem helpful for her to worry you like that, especially if you haven't shown symptoms. Wishing you calm and optimism. I'm cheering for you:heart:
Thank you for your lovely words. I wish she hadn't mentioned it but I guess she wanted to prevent further complications.

• Hugs
Reactions: pickajack and Stick
F

fox21132113

Student
Sep 8, 2020
This is extremely odd. It sounds like she is suggesting at any moment you are going to contract BPD. One either has it or they don't. You can reduce traits but it takes time to even recognize they exist. If she can't decide if you have BPD or not, my advice is to look for another psychiatrist

• Love
Reactions: Disappointered, ravergirl, Lupgevif and 5 others
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
Unless you're a child, you're not going to develop a personality disorder now as a result of your history. You already developed coping skills and perceptions in response it, you're not going to suddenly start functioning differently in response to it.

That your psychiatrist said this to you raises red flags to me. I personally would find another.

• Love
Reactions: Lupgevif, Stick, Ghost2211 and 1 other person
F

fox21132113

Student
Sep 8, 2020
Unless you're a child, you're not going to develop a personality disorder now as a result of your history. You already developed coping skills and perceptions in response it, you're not going to suddenly start functioning differently in response to it.

That your psychiatrist said this to you raises red flags to me. I personally would find another.
We said the same thing! Great minds think alike

• Love
Reactions: Stick and GoodPersonEffed
S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
Yeah time to find a new therapist. When a therapist is at their end with trying to help you, they dump a misdiagnosis of Borderline on you because that's like the end-all of personality disorders so they can claim to not help you because of the BPD.

Reactions: Disappointered and Lupgevif
fluffymuffin

fluffymuffin

Oct 11, 2020
This is extremely odd. It sounds like she is suggesting at any moment you are going to contract BPD. One either has it or they don't. You can reduce traits but it takes time to even recognize they exist. If she can't decide if you have BPD or not, my advice is to look for another psychiatrist
She said that my current medications might trigger BPD symptoms in people with genetic history and I have to watch out just incase. I'm honestly confused.

• Wow
Reactions: Stick and GoodPersonEffed
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
She said that my current medications might trigger BPD symptoms in people with genetic history and I have to watch out just incase. I'm honestly confused.

Have you researched the side effects yourself yet?

fluffymuffin

fluffymuffin

Oct 11, 2020
Thanks for replies guys. She's already treating me for anxiety and I'll look for another psychiatrist if the medications didn't help, I've just started a new dose so I'll wait for the results.

Have you researched the side effects yourself yet?
I have and they might cause personality changes but it's very unlikely to happen.

Reactions: pickajack and GoodPersonEffed
F

fox21132113

Student
Sep 8, 2020
In my experience with BPD, my environment and developmental challenges were the causes. I believe if you have side effects from your medication, they are purely just side effects. They will go away once the medication is stopped.

Reactions: Stick and fluffymuffin
Stick

Stick

Experienced
Aug 31, 2020
BPD and BPD-like symptoms are very different. For example, I don't have BPD, but I believe my mother does (undiagnosed), and my therapist told me it is possible I may have adopted specific BPD-like behaviors as a result of being raised by someone with a personality disorder. Unless you are a minor, I do not believe it is possible for you to develop a personality disorder or even traits of one. There is also a lot of stigma in the mental health world against BPD specifically, so she may be trying to tell you you have BPD or symptoms of it in a round about way without diagnosing you.
I would definitely ask for clarification before changing a therapist, but as other members have pointed out, it is a huge red flag. It's an odd thing to say.

Reactions: fluffymuffin