Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
Great idea! I vote for Shannon Hoon of Blind Melon. His deeply melancholic lyrics have the unmistakable pensiveness of someone living with mental illness. This song, No Rain, came out in 1993; in 1995 he died of a cocaine overdose at the age of 28.

Oh, and there is a cat meme referring to the iconic video clip.
Bee prettyplain

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: WorthlessTrash, Pentobarbital_Plz, LionsTigersAndBears and 4 others
achromatic

achromatic

hedgehog dilemma
Oct 18, 2022

• Hugs
Reactions: CowsAreCool, Sister of the Moon, Someonewhotypes and 4 others
Alayna

Alayna

Close
Oct 11, 2022
Great album Un. Fell into a sweet melancholic dream off that ambience.

Elliott Smith gang?

Also please check the entirety of Either/Or, and From a Basement.

Especially King's Crossing, Passing Feeling, Fond Farewell, Don't Go Down, Say Yes.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Konjac, Wojaczek, didn't-it-rain and 2 others
H

[HNO]

Experienced
Aug 21, 2022
youtube.com/watch?v=TrwCGuW7aVc

• Hugs
Reactions: LionsTigersAndBears and Un-
bubo

bubo

Jul 14, 2022

AbuseP makes very good songs (my recommendations are:"Dogdog" "Flowers, Mountains And Funerals" and "Judas") and is pretty good about being suicidal and the meaningless of existence in his music and whole aesthetic depicted in all his media he creates. Overall, the music he creates i think is not only very impactful but also very nice and pleasant sounding! I definitely recommend.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Un-, Message In A Bottle and Alayna
Alayna

Alayna

Close
Oct 11, 2022

AbuseP makes very good songs (my recommendations are:"Dogdog" "Flowers, Mountains And Funerals" and "Judas") and is pretty good about being suicidal and the meaningless of existence in his music and whole aesthetic depicted in all his media he creates. Overall, the music he creates i think is not only very impactful but also very nice and pleasant sounding! I definitely recommend.

This is really really good.

Un-

Un-

I'm a failure. An absolute waste. A LOSEr.
Apr 6, 2021
This was a cover of the same song by The Smiths:
Asleep, by Xiu Xiu

Reactions: didn't-it-rain and WhatPowerIs
H

[HNO]

Experienced
Aug 21, 2022

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Unending and Un-
D

didn't-it-rain

Nov 5, 2022
Oooh, RateYourMusic is such a great site. This thread may be relevant too:

Anyway, from the thread you posted, I'd concur with the folks mentioning Sparklehorse and Vic Chesnutt - two musicians who struggled with depression and died via suicide, and both utterly fantastic singer-songwriters.

Also off the top of my head, Drowse (also mentioned in the thread I linked) has admitted to making an attempt if I recall correctly, would definitely recommend his music:

Beyond that, there are tons and tons of folks who would *probably* qualify for this list but I dunno if it's appropriate to speculate - especially when it comes to musicians who have admitted to struggling w/ depression but died of other means that could be read ambiguously (like drug overdose) or are in fact still alive.

• Hugs
Reactions: Un-
dead lightbulb

dead lightbulb

consciousness is a curse
Oct 8, 2022
Best Tears - The Happy Fits

The band doesn't make suicidal music generally (although their discography is amazing) but this one song of theirs alludes to suicide in the lyrics which is hidden under the guise of an upbeat indie song and I can't explain how well that combination just clicks in my brain. I've loved this song for years.

• Hugs
Un-

Un-

Apr 6, 2021
Oblivion Omitted, by Make A Change... Kill Yourself:

I had a huge depressive black metal phase. I'm still in it. It helps drown out my pain..

Reactions: Unending
Euthanza

Euthanza

Self Righteous Suicide
Jun 9, 2022
Chriss Cornell - Serj Tankian

Last edited:
Reactions: girlsboysthems
Un-

Un-

Apr 6, 2021

One of the band members of LifeLover - Kim Carlsson - is.. I look up to him in a way. He self-harms a lot. But he doesn't cover his scars. On time he played while he was bleeding.

It's not really glorification of it.. I guess it's just that he's not afraid to show his pain. Sigh.

Attachments

• images (15).jpeg
    images (15).jpeg
    38.6 KB · Views: 0
  • images (6) (1).jpeg
    images (6) (1).jpeg
    30 KB · Views: 0
  • images (12) (3).jpeg
    images (12) (3).jpeg
    25.9 KB · Views: 0
  • images (13) (1).jpeg
    images (13) (1).jpeg
    16.9 KB · Views: 0
  • images (4) (1).jpeg
    images (4) (1).jpeg
    24 KB · Views: 0
  • images (11).jpeg
    images (11).jpeg
    18.6 KB · Views: 0
  • images (7) (1).jpeg
    images (7) (1).jpeg
    43.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Love
Reactions: Unending, -Raven's Night- and lachrymost
H

[HNO]

Experienced
Aug 21, 2022
One of the band members of LifeLover - Kim Carlsson - is.. I look up to him in a way. He self-harms a lot. But he doesn't cover his scars. On time he played while he was bleeding.

It's not really glorification of it.. I guess it's just that he's not afraid to show his pain. Sigh.
trist from trist and shane from abyssic hate into it too

• Hugs
Un-

Un-

Apr 6, 2021
I've been spinning this record over and over. If I had to name an artist that was at high risk of being on this forum; of killing themselves, Dan would be them. You can.. just.. tell. The first track is admittance that he's going to do it. Later on, he says he's a failure.. failed.. It's easy to relate to him. I can't make shit though... can't express myself at all.

Sigh... im gonna cry for how far my death is.. i just want to leave..

In Spiritual Exile: Collected Recordings of Giles Corey:

• Hugs
Reactions: didn't-it-rain and artificial_ineptness
artificial_ineptness

artificial_ineptness

Nov 14, 2021
I think twentythree should fit here. I can't give any guarantees that they're suicidal, but when pretty much every song has lines like "At the end of the road know you'll find me cold" or "Hollow the grave, I need the space" I don't think I'm making that much of a stretch.

I spent a lot of time replaying their songs at some point, but I've been very detached from everything recently. Couldn't think of anything at all when I first saw the thread.

• Hugs
D

didn't-it-rain

Nov 5, 2022
I've been spinning this record over and over. If I had to name an artist that was at high risk of being on this forum; of killing themselves, Dan would be them. You can.. just.. tell. The first track is admittance that he's going to do it. Later on, he says he's a failure.. failed.. It's easy to relate to him. I can't make shit though... can't express myself at all.

Sigh... im gonna cry for how far my death is.. i just want to leave..

In Spiritual Exile: Collected Recordings of Giles Corey:

Oooh, I didn't know about this collection, but I looked it up on RYM and someone posted a link to this , if you haven't seen it Looking forward to listen to these

• Love
S

Someonewhotypes

Feb 15, 2021

it's a cover, but I like it a lot.

• Hugs
Un-

Un-

Apr 6, 2021
I couldn't tell you for sure, but I have a lot of his albums, and.. I wouldn't be surprised:
Epilogue, by Keaton Henson

One of my best, but long gone friends introduced me to Keaton. I used to hate him because of how sad he was. Now I have 7 of his albums on repeat, almost daily. I guess that shows how my mental health declined rapidly.

It's also the first song on my RYM list.

• Hugs
Reactions: Lost Magic and Somebody
whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
I got the idea from this place:

I thought it'd be interesting if we listed (our favourite) songs, or albums made by suicidal people.

Deathconsciousness, by Have A Nice Life

This is one of my favorite albums of all time! The themes are quite despondent and the picture speaks for itself, somehow I feel like the artists never attempted. There is a suicidal mindset and then there's being suicidal.

S

Someonewhotypes

Feb 15, 2021
This isn't a suicide song tbh, it's a song about ordering a blow-up doll to have sex with.
Depends on your perspective... the doll, isn't a literal doll, it's a metaphor for emptiness (well, at least for me). Basically person has no one to share their 'perfect' home with..their life only looks good on the outside, for show. Exactly like the doll. Inside, it's actually empty. In reality, it's all pointless, like the lyrics say, "but what goes on, what to do there". An existential crisis, when you live well by some standards, but you still feel f* up inside.
Also, the thread is about music made by suicidal people, not songs about suicide. The singer ended up hanging himself so..
🤷‍♀️

• Hugs
Chinaski

Chinaski

Arthur Scargill appreciator
Sep 1, 2018
Also, the thread is about music made by suicidal people, not songs about suicide. The singer ended up hanging himself so..
🤷‍♀️
It's still not music made by a suicidal person, it's a cover version of a Roxy Music song about a sex doll, but fair enough.

• Aww..
makethepainstop

makethepainstop

Visionary
Sep 16, 2022
  • Hugs
  • Yay!
Reactions: -Raven's Night-, Cathy Ames and Un-
theboy

theboy

Illuminated
Jul 15, 2022
Nota de Suicidio - Porta

(canción en español)

• Hugs
TheCyberian

TheCyberian

Swinging in Her Cell
Nov 13, 2022
The vocalist for Joy Division, Ian Curtis, famously hung himself (supposedly) due to health problems and complications in his marriage. This is the last track on the last album released by the band and imo it's one of the most emotional songs they released.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Sister of the Moon, -Raven's Night-, Lily (Osako) and 2 others
-Raven's Night-

-Raven's Night-

autistic/metalhead/wanna join the 27 club
Jan 31, 2020
sonhos tomam conta - hypnagogia

read the introduction on bandcamp... worth to notice that the last song in the album called grape-colored suicide, reminds me of here haha.

sooooo excited seeing lifelover here! My own band gonna cover their song on our debut concert this friday!

Moreover, i myself have begin to write my own lyrics and soon will be another suicidal song lol.

• Hugs