marcy2022

marcy2022

Student
Oct 19, 2022
The IV bag/bottle I have access to have only one port for whatever reason and no medication ports. I don't know how to mix medication in such IV bag/bottles.
Here's what I was thinking:
Get a 500ml or 1000ml IV bag/bottle (whichever I can get)
Spike and prime the IV line
At the same time empty the IV bag/bottle until 300-350ml-400ml is left
Close the IV flow controller and secure the other end so it doesn't get contaminated
Turn the IV bag/bottle Upside down and insert a 18g IV cannula or regular syringe needle in there right next to the spike as there's only one port.
(following steps are to be repeated until all medications are in the IV bag/bottle)
Use luer lock syringes to draw 10ml fluid (question, do I have to push in some air when drawing IV fluid into the syringe?)
Insert the fluid into thiopental vail and shake it well until no powder is visible
Draw back the mixture from vial into luer lock syringe
Connect to the Cannula/needle in the IV bag and push in the mixture.
Shake the IV bag/bottle left and right for a few seconds
Repeat for all vials.

Only problem I have is that I don't have the number of syringes that I would like to have. For 30g thiopental, 1g each vail, ideally I'll need 30 syringes to draw up 10ml fluid with each syringe at first and one syringe for every 1g vail to be mixed with 10ml IV solution. I have less number of syringes, I'm wondering how to do it right with less number of syringes. I can think of one way of reusing syringes where I'll be using as many syringes as I have to draw up fluids and insert the fluid into vails. Take the syringes out and reuse them to draw more fluid from IV bag/Bottle and insert them back into vails until all 30 vails have 10ml IV solution in there. Shake all the vails to make no powders are visible. Draw up the mixture from as many vials as possible and push them back into the IV bag/bottle. Repeat until its all done. I'm wondering if reusing syringes as in the needles for so many vials could contaminate the vail medication mixture or when the same mixture inserted into the IV bag/bottle, the whole IV solution could be contaminated cuz from online research I've found that its suggested to use fresh needles for each vails as sometimes needles could have tiny fragments of the rubber seal in them and that contaminates the medication mixture. I don't know I've explained properly but if it doesn't make sense, please ask and if it makes sense, is this an acceptable way to do it? What about the possibility of contamination which will likely happen with 30 vials. please help

Sunset Limited

Sunset Limited

I believe in Sunset Limited
Jul 29, 2019
Actually it is possible with one syringe. I found a way. Withdraw 10cc of water from the IV bag and inject five cc into each of the two vials. Repeat for all vials. With the same syringe, draw from the vials and inject into the IV bag. So it is possible with a single syringe.

marcy2022

marcy2022

Student
Oct 19, 2022
Actually it is possible with one syringe. I found a way. Withdraw 10cc of water from the IV bag and inject five cc into each of the two vials. Repeat for all vials. With the same syringe, draw from the vials and inject into the IV bag. So it is possible with a single syringe.
Thank you.
What about using a cannula or a 10cc syringe needle for iv? I'm still having difficulties with cannula setup and I'm afraid to screw things up. However I think I might be able to do it much easily with a syringe needle or maybe a cannula where the needle isn't inserted all the way in but it's already in the veins. Would it work if I do that and tape it well with water resistant medical tape, band aid and crepe bandage to make sure the halfway inserted needle or cannula stays in place?