U

uletayu

failure
Apr 16, 2023
I speak Dutch as my native language, but I also know English and for me it is easier to have suicidal thoughts outside my native language like English or French idk why… can anybody relate?

Reactions: rationaltake
NotRocketScience

NotRocketScience

Apr 21, 2023
Same, I'm a native french speaker but I only think about suicide when I'm switching to English. I've also noticed it, it's kinda weird.

rationaltake

rationaltake

I'm rocking it - in another universe
Sep 28, 2021
I wonder if it's like swearing in another language? As in knowing what the words mean in another language but they don't have the same lifelong connotations that the native tongue has.

Perhaps thinking or speaking in another language gives someone a bit of distance from the subject. It's like being at one remove.

I know my character used to change when I spoke other languages.

Kodokushi

Kodokushi

Falling...into the abyss...
Apr 19, 2023
English is also my second language and for some reason it's easier to talk about feelings on english? Dunno if it makes sense...

I tend to switch back and forth - when I want to express my emotions and they're really...personal, I guess, it's usually always on english, while mother tongue is used for swearing and being angry as if it gives more power to the words?

StolenLife

StolenLife

Warlock
Sep 19, 2022
English is my second language, but I find it easier to talk in english, and even my train of thought is in english. Must be all those years spent on the internet.

Reactions: Skathon
NotRocketScience

NotRocketScience

Apr 21, 2023
English is my second language, but I find it easier to talk in english, and even my train of thought is in english. Must be all those years spent on the internet.
This!

All the research that I did about this have been done in English.

Plus, it helps me to compartmentalize my mind, and thus it gives me the opportunity to avoid to "infect it" with these thoughts during the day.