A

allesistgut

Experienced
Jan 22, 2022
i'm not sure if there will be much interest in this thread, but i spend a lot of time watching movies and shows (they tend to be a good distraction for me) and i'm always on the lookout for something new to watch.

i've seen a few movie recommendation threads although i thought it could be nice to have one where we could recommend both movies and tv-shows to one another, and maybe if there is some interest in this thread we could eventually make one where we could discuss some of the movies/shows that are recommended here.

with each recommendation perhaps we can add a little bit about each movie/show (spoiler free of course) and the recommendations here don't just have to be films or shows that are centered around depression, feel good movies and what not are more than welcome!

a show i recently watched was "flowers", it's a dark comedy about depression centered around the "flowers" family. it has a phenomenal cast and was created by will sharpe who also plays a character in the show, shun (by the end of the second season he was definitely my favorite character). it made me laugh and cry and is a real rollercoaster of emotions (for me at least).

it has two seasons in total, each with six episodes. each episode is also only about 25-30 minutes long, so if you're someone who doesn't like a show with hour long episodes this is perfect.

i'd recommend trying to watch the first season if you aren't sure after the first few episodes, some things are much more than they appear and the episodes are short so why not! plus the second season is also very good in my opinion. personally i wasn't so sure when i started watching it, i thought somethings were a bit over the top at first but i'm glad that i kept on watching as a lot of things made sense and it all really came together!

Last edited:
Reactions: Julgran, ultrafuntimes and Smart No More
danlippers67

danlippers67

Dec 14, 2021
Some good movies I watched recently:

Klute
McCabe and Mrs. Miller
Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore
Fatal Attraction
Reversal of Fortune
To Die For
Terms of Endearment
A Woman Under the Influence
Bonnie & Clyde
Network
The Grifters
Lost in Translation

Reactions: Smart No More and allesistgut
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
The Handmaid's Tale is really good. I overlooked it for ages as I assumed it was a period drama but I learned otherwise and ended up watching it. It's a futuristic distopian based tale where women are largely used/farmed as birthing machines as there's been a huge reduction in birth rates. It surrounds a faction/state that has turned America into their breeding ground calling themselves Gilliad and performing atrocities in the name of their interpretation of the bible. It follows a particular handmaid as she fight to find some semblance of acceptance of her situation, keep her sanity and secretly plan her way to save her own child and return to her life and family somehow. The aesthetic is a mix between high tech and 1950's drab but prim style. It's mostly a dark and harsh environment but is somehow gripping and rewarding to watch if a little harrowing at times. The limits of despair are constantly pushed and there are many WTF moments. Very worth a watch.

If you're a Star Wars purist that has been disappointed by recent offerings you may find a bit of reprieve in the Mandalorian and Boba Fett series respectively. There are some elements that don't quite fit my tastes/understanding but overall they're the closest to bringing you back into that universe since the original trilogy without having a largly opposite and alienating effect. The Mandalorian stands on its own as a series IMHO. I'm still not all the way through Boba Fett. I'm glad it exists atm. My opinion may change depending on how it plays out :))

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: allesistgut
A

allesistgut

Experienced
Jan 22, 2022
i'd like to second the recommendations of @Smart No More!

another show i'd like to recommend is "the living and the dead", which i'd consider to be somewhere between a psychological drama and horror (with a bit of a twist). i'm not usually a fan of most things in the horror genre as i'm very easily spooked! but even with all of the spooky moments i thoroughly enjoyed this show and have rewatched it, enjoying it just as much the second time around!

it's set in somerset, england in 1894 and centers around a married couple, nathan (a psychologist) and charlotte (a photographer) who inherit nathan's family estate and move out into the countryside, eager to start their new lives. however, there's a bit of paranormal activity going on which throws their lives into chaos!

colin morgan and charlotte spencer play the leads in this show and both give amazing and at times heartbreaking performances. the costumes throughout the show are also beautifully made.

the show (which has six episodes in total) was canceled for a second season, but works very well as only one season in my opinion and is still really worth watching.

i definitely haven't done the show justice by my description, but it's so good!

Last edited:
J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
I personally love TV shows that are difficult to predict, so I'll go ahead and recommend "Lost", "Fringe", "The X-Files", "Westworld" and "Twin Peaks".

For something more down-to-earth, I recommend Ricky Gervais' "After Life", which is a dark comedy about a suicidal widower.

• Love
L

Leiden

Arcanist
Sep 1, 2020
-Ozark
-Sweet tooth
-Yellowstone
- Mare of Eastown
- Chapelwick
- From (coming soon)
- Sharper Objects
- The woman in the window(Movie)
- Hillbilly Elegry (Movie)
- Sneaky Pete
- American Horror Story
- Yellow jackets
So many more but can't think of them right now.