Caspers

Caspers

Lost
Jun 23, 2020
My mother just told me I don't have depression.

I have felt like shit for as long as I remember, my psychologist of two and a half years believes I have a high functioning depression named dysphoria. I haven't been diagnosed because of the UK's non existent mental health system, but I have had three suicide attempts, the most recent one would have succeeded if I hadn't said goodbye to my online friends.

Three suicide attempts and feeling shitty for as long as I can't remember, and she still believes I don't have mental health issues? Is she delusional?

Have you had people deny you have mental health issues when you have diagnoses and suspected conditions?

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: WinterFaust and Homecoming
Leech

Leech

ɴᴏᴡ'ꜱ ᴛʜᴇ ᴏɴʟy ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴀᴛ'ꜱ ʀᴇᴀʟ
Aug 8, 2020
I'm in Canada and our mental health care system is also abysmal. I have friends who are also in the UK that share the same sort of experience. :(

Personally, I have diagnosed bipolar disorder and suspected autism, and my little sister has diagnosed anorexia and suspected autism. My mom denies that theres anything wrong with us and my sister's generation and my generation are a bunch of whiners, and that when she was my age people didnt have mental illness. I think it's also funny to mention that my mom literally works in care homes for mentally disabled people, many of which are even older than her.

Maybe it's a way of coping and deflecting responsibility? Either way it's really fuckin shitty of her. I imagine it might be the same with your mother.

• Hugs
Reactions: Caspers
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
Growing up, my mom always told me what I felt and what my intentions were. She was always way off.

I'm guessing that your mother is very controlling? Usually people who are other-defining are controlling.

• Wow
Reactions: Lorntroubles, Homecoming and Caspers
A

AllReturnsToNothing

I'm useless
Aug 5, 2020
My mother has mental illness as well and growing up she would always tell my siblings and I (all of whom became mentally ill as well thanks in part by the trauma she put us through) that we didn't have depression and that there was nothing wrong with us despite there very clearly being a lot wrong with us. I even learned just a couple of years ago that when I was little my sister suggested I get tested for autism. My mom denied that I had any sort of developmental disorder and refused. 20 years later, the only way that my childhood and current rocky transition into adulthood would make sense now is if I had autism. You're mother is either in denial or a narcissist.

• Hugs
Reactions: Lorntroubles and Caspers
Caspers

Caspers

Lost
Jun 23, 2020
Growing up, my mom always told me what I felt and what my intentions were. She was always way off.

I'm guessing that your mother is very controlling? Usually people who are other-defining are controlling.
My mother has mental illness as well and growing up she would always tell my siblings and I (all of whom became mentally ill as well thanks in part by the trauma she put us through) that we didn't have depression and that there was nothing wrong with us despite there very clearly being a lot wrong with us. I even learned just a couple of years ago that when I was little my sister suggested I get tested for autism. My mom denied that I had any sort of developmental disorder and refused. 20 years later, the only way that my childhood and current rocky transition into adulthood would make sense now is if I had autism. You're mother is either in denial or a narcissist.

I guess my mother is slightly controlling and has a few narcissistic tendencies, although many humans do.

My most recent attempt gave me a brain injury which caused me to lose all my memory. My mother fought hard to get me the help I needed, but would often guilt trip me. Sometimes when in arguments she reminds me how little I appreciate what she's done for me and how ungrateful I am.

I'm having private therapy so at least she acknowledges something is wrong with me. I'm not certain whether she's in denial, controlling or narcissistic. Maybe she's a bit of each?

Thanks y'all for posting your stories and support, it means a lot as I feel very unlistened to by those around me.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: AllReturnsToNothing, Homecoming and GoodPersonEffed